WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Arrow Our 2018 Chatroom - "The Animal Inn"

Hullo everyone, and welcome to 2018 and our 2018 Animal Inn

We had a lovely Christmas and New Year with all our family here to celebrate with us! The Weather was perfect and we are now on Summer Holiday time holidaying in Arrowtown New Zealand.

We've been doing all the Summer Holiday things, e.g. lunching out etc and the family are all away at the moment to do the Shotover Jet ride, then the Luge in Queenstown, and then our grandson thinks he might do the Bunji Jump from the Bunji Bridge but wants to have a look at others jumping first! All our sons have jumped with the Bunji from the Bunji Bridge, when they were younger - some of them going back for a second or third go! And yes if Sam decides to jump I will go and watch him. Exciting to watch but I don't think it's for me!

How did everyone's Christmas Day and New Years Eve go? I saw on tv that the Northern Hemisphere has had snow in the UK and also the USA, so it always seems strange to me, we are in the middle of Summer here in the Southern Hemisphere.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's Christmas!

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Our 2018 Chatroom - "The Animal Inn"

My Grandson and me, with the rest of the family having lunch at a Winery yesterday. Beautiful, sunny, Summer weather

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

How good - what a nice place for lunch. I hope you sampled the wine! Just look at that sunshine! Damp, cool and very windy here.

We had one light dusting of snow here in the south-west. More snow in Scotland and up north. I had a good Christmas with my friend, Lesley, and Cara and Indy. Looking forward to a "drawing animals and wildlife" holiday for four days in March, with the Holiday Foundation, near Minehead in Somerset. My sister will look after the dogs and Lesley is driving - I can't afford to run a car on my ststae pension!

Hope you have a very good, art-full year.

Last edited by Schuee : 01-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Penny - your holiday "Drawing Animals" sounds terrific! Looking forward to hearing all about it!
And also looking forward to hearing all about everyones Xmas! Please do post to this Thread - we need members posts as we cant keep the Thread going for just 2 or 3 of us.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Bet that wine was delicious Viv if it is anything like my New Zealand Savignon Blanc which I love. What a nice looking grandson you have. Proud Gran!

Penny, the four day workshop sounds great. I wish I could join you. Looking forward to your feedback. Enjoy every moment.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Hi everyone! I'm back online.

My husband had a very successful operation in Dunedin Hospital. Had a couple of problems with his recovery, but all good now. He's always been lucky, but especially so this time! So someone up there must have been looking after him!!!! Thank you all for all the messages of support, I really appreciated them.

Our oldest son and grandaughter, flew down from the North Island to be with us for support and it was great to have them both with us. They are away home now.

We were just home from Dunedin, when New Zealand experienced the tail-end of Tropical Cyclone Fehi, the last few days. Leaving floods all over NZ and especially flooding in the city of Dunedin .... so we were lucky we missed all that. We had some heavy rain in Southland, but it was mild compared to what the rest of NZ experienced. Torrential rain, and land-slips around the West Coast and Fiordland New Zealand and the roads blocked at both end near the Fox Glacier with 700 tourists cut off at the moment!

Hope everything is going ok with you all? It seems very quiet on Animal & Wildlife at the moment.
Looking forward to hearing what you all have been up too this month.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

I heard of the flooding in Dunedin on the radio! Glad you missed the storm, Vivien. Glad you're safe and hubby's fine!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 05:33 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Viv, calling in from Hermanus, South Africa. I am so pleased that Laurence is recovering nicely and that the operation was a success. It has been a worrying time for you and your family and you have been constantly in my thoughts and love. Thank goodness you did not have the added problem of the floods.

I'll bet Pippa was over the moon to see you again. How is she?

It has been fairly quiet on the A & WL front. The challenge was a success and Federico did a nice gallery so all went well. I have added two more names to the list for challenges this year. We only have three more months to fill. I have appealed but I think we need a new thread.

So good to have you back safe and sound.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 10:30 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

Glad everything went well Viv.

Everything has been going fine in the forum, it has been a bit quiet (except for the challenge!) but I think it is picking up again.

I had an exciting wildlife sighting yesterday: a humpback whale! It's in the Firth of Forth, just north of Edinburgh, so a short trip from home which makes it even better. It's a new tick on my mammal list.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 04:09 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Hi everyone enjoy the sunny weather Viv forgot how it looks like
I ve just installed my stand a t show near Paris

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Christel - Thanks! Yes it's such a relief to have it all over with. It was a big worry, but our oldest son and grandaughter came down from the North Island for support and that was a big help to us.

Chammi - It's good to be back again! And how are you enjoying your holdiay in South Africa?

The continuing Pippa Saga - - I'm not sure whether she enjoyed her holiday at the Boarding Kennels or not!

They were so full when I dropped her off, (Summer holiday time here in NZ) before we left for Dunedin......that the man in charge said they were waiting for some people to pick their dogs up for a free kennel for her that day - so they would just put her out to play with the other small dogs in the exercise yard for an hour or 2 until they had a kennel free.

You should have heard the noise from all the little dogs (mainly Jack Russels) , and as I was leaving I heard Pippa's howling and barking above all of them! And it was her, because I could see her wee head appearing every now and then, as she jumped up on the wire-surrounding the run, trying to see me!!!. It was awful!!!! Poor wee girl! The noise of her!!!! The howling and screaming and crying! If I could have I would have gone back and got her out again. But I knew she would enjoy playing with the other dogs, as shes very social.

And when I went back from Dunedin to pick her up - she was so excited to see me! You've never seen such an excited dog in your life. She ran around me in a big circle, peeing at the same time and it took 3 of us trying to hold her to get her collar and lead on again! When we arrived home in the car, as soon as she got out on to the lawn - she did huge circles around the lawn for about half an hour! She's still following me around like a shadow, frightened I'll go away again. But the lady at the Kennels said she had enjoyed herself immensely playing with the other dogs while she was there, and I'm sure she would have done.

Dogs are funny aren't they and all different, that's why we love them so much.
I'll never forget Blossom when I had to pick her up from the Boarding Kennels. She came hurrying out of her kennel, gave me a quick lick to say "Hi Mum" then she continued on down the hall to the door, without a pause ... out the door..over the gate...and straight to stand beside my car door! She was going home, and she came in my car, so she was going straight home in it, with no nonsense about it!!!! And wee Drum was so funny - he'd spent so much time (while he was in the Boarding Kennels,) barking, that he'd lost his voice entirely and it never returned until he'd been home a couple of days! He's squeak away quite happily instead of barking, but we knew what he meant!
Ah, the memories these beloved dogs leave us with!

KayM -How wonderful to see a Humpback Whale. Those immense creatures are so graceful and it's such a privilege to see them.

Robert - Fabulous!!! Such wonderful paintings Robert and hope you get lots of sales. It looks terrific and thanks so much for sharing with us!

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 02-03-2018 at 05:33 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Viv. How good it is to have you back. Poor little Pippa. It must have been horrible for you leaving her. Our four-legged family members really know how to tear at the heart strings. How is hubby enjoying being back home? Is he in any discomfort?

Robbie What a fabulous display you have set up. I am sure all the visitors will be flocking to your stand and I am sure you will sell your paintings.

Kay, I am in the land of the whales here. Each year dozens of huge whales give birth here in the Bay. This usually takes place in November. However, last year this time we saw two whales, a couple of great white sharks (ughh! I know they are important to ecology and pretty much endangered but they are soooo sinister) - also dolphins. This year we haven't been so lucky but the water has been exceptionally cold - 12 degrees C does not entice me in for a swim and I don't blame the mammals like dolphin and porpoise for not appearing.

Well I am about to call my husband Pete to listen to the latest saga in the life of Pippa. He so enjoys your stories Viv. We are both Pippa fans!!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

Robert - the show looks fantastic! Love the look of your stand. Good luck!

Viv - bless your Pippa! She sounds like such a character.

Chammi - when whales turn up here it is something on an event! We get dolphins / porpoises and seals regularly but a whale is something else. About 9 or 10 years ago an orca came into the firth and I spoke to someone who had travelled 300 miles to see it. I had a lovely drive around the coast - something I should do more often as I always see something new. Need to take my camera and sketchbook next time!

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Thank you Viv, Chammi and Kay , sold reproduction this weekend but I cant go during the week it is too far I ll go next sunday to collec the checks or painting back I cant go on saturday as I have a vernissage in another show on the opposite side of Paris this is the second larger salon of the departement I did the fist too in december and sold a painting there
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s news. I hope Pippa is settled now after her kennelling. I don’t ever want to board my two as they came from such horrendous conditions and would be traumatised by being left. Luckily, my sister looks after them if I go away.

The exhibition looks very exciting, Robert. Thanks for the photos.

The whales sound very exciting, too, Chammi. And the siting of the orca, too, Kay.

My four day painting holiday had been cancelled due to the artist leading it not being able to attend. I was really looking forward to it. Very disappointing! Anyway, I am attending s one day workshop at the White Horse Bookshop (which houses an art shop) in Marlborough, on 12th March - painting wolves and dogs in watercolours.