WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria

Hails from Australia
Shutterbug Pub Daily, Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018

Hello all, I guess in the US y'all still in holiday mode sitting by log fires and enjoying the snow.
Well it's quite the opposite here, we stay indoors out of the heat, or drive to the coast where Pacific Gulls fly.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States
Re: Shutterbug Pub Daily, Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018

Morning, Mark. Actually, I was in work mode for the last hour or so....always something, and it's so cold!!! My skin is cracking....no lotion seems to help, going to try coconut oil....

Love your seagull shots. Actually, had to get a towel: your photos are so wet!! Great capture of the birds and the water!! Makes me think of summer and hoping it hurries on up and gets here quick!!

Hi RAY!! I see you posted while I was typing....LOL!! Yes, pity me. I have outside work. It's a balmy +14F outside right now, and the whipping wind makes it more so....

Yes, it's back to work for most, and back to school for the kiddos. For us farmers, we never stopped, even in the holidays.

I forgot to go out and shoot the moon, it was already up high and small when I remembered. Saw it this am before it set, again, without camera but it was a beauty!!

Last edited by Dreamin : 01-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:16 AM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

Good Morning, Mark, and all who follow -

I'll trade you places!! -14 F. this morning going to work. That is just too dang cold for my tastes. I can't imagine people who have to work outside in this kind of weather. Holiday mode has been turned off, over again for another year, and back to work. No log fire to sit and just watch the snow. Doesn't pay enough.

Ray

(Morning, Natalie - you snuck in there ahead of me. )
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen

Last edited by Oldthumbs : 01-02-2018 at 10:01 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Immortalized
outback of the black stump

Hails from Australia

I can see seagulls but I have to go down to the local tip.

I choose to look through photos of ice while sitting inside with the A/C.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:37 PM
A Local Legend
Gulf Islands BC

Hails from Canada

Good afternoon and Happy New Year from the Pacific Northwest.
Cold here too but just above freezing thank goodness!

I love your second shot Mark, the water is perfect

Hi Natalie, yes you farmers work very hard for all of us and I appreciate it very much. Thanks for finding the time to post here! Stay warm there

Hello Ray, glad you had a good break over the holidays. Not thinking of retirement yet then?

Hi Peter, I feel for you having to stay indoors with your AC!
The colours in your shot are wonderful

I've been working through a nasty cold for the past week. Don't ya love winter? Went out on the 30th to see the sunset and there wasn't one, this is as colourful as it got:

Nikon D300 Nikon and Sigma lenses - PShop CS5
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Good afternoon/evening Nat, coconut oil should do the trick, I use it myself, not due to cold but for sun-dry skin on arms and legs ( I refuse to believe that it has anything to do with ageing )

Evening Ray, -14F, brrrr, not even my fridge is quite that cold, here at 8am it's 16C heading for a high of 26C, that's a comfortable temperature to b e out 'n about but 40C is forecast for the weekend.

Peter, maybe the ice would keep you cooler in a nice long glass of Dr Good?
My indoor thermometer is presently reading 23C which is within my comfort zone of 25C. As my place is well insulated and sheltered by a large oak and elm tree, I've so far not had to use the inverter this year.

Thanks Carol, you posted as I was replying to those above. It won't be long before your leafless tree awakens to the kiss of Spring and leaps to life anew!

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin

Last edited by Greenhill : 01-02-2018 at 04:55 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Quote:
Mark said: Hello all, I guess in the US y'all still in holiday mode sitting by log fires and enjoying the snow.

We are sitting inside with sweaters, long underware, and blankets because it is so darn cold outside. This has got to stop! I think the high on Friday is suppose to be 7 degrees F (-14 C). Some of the students are still on vacation but return tomorrow...I don't think so. It looks like they will be getting an extended vacation. Their parents got to be climbing the walls by now

As always, we who live on the other side of the equator than you appreciate your balmy images. Looking at them helps keep our attitudes and outlooks pointed in the right direction.

Great shots Mark and Peter. Lovely colors in all of your photos.

I like the waves coming in and how they make nice lines in your first photo. that touch of orange in the beak and legs really attracts the eye.

Peter, I love the combination of colors you found in your icy image. I am seeing pink, tans and teals. Variegated yarn with those colors would make some nice Crocheted slippers right now. I have made two pairs of slippers so far with the new pattern that I bought before Christmas. I intend to make more, some for all of my loved ones and dear friends. These are so comfortable, I want to share them. Besides, it is better than giving someone a crocheted dish cloth. (they all have one of those already!)

Carol,
The sky is pretty. That looks like the tree you took a close up of the other day with the red berries on it. Yes?

Natalie,
You worked 365 a year when you had the dairy farm. Those cows don't stop producing milk over the holidays. And the chickens don't eating, drinking or growing either during the holiday times. You remind us of the life of a farmer. It is a tough one, you have to be strong and dedicated, and you certainly are.

Ray, Stop it Ray, Quit blowing that cold air our way. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I just finished exporting, saving then erasing 20 gig of photos from my laptop. I try to clean up the computer as the new year gets underway. The first dump contained 1,793 photos. The second dump was just from LightRoom Back Up. Those of you who have LightRoom, don't forget to periodically dump your old backup catalogue files. They do accumulate and take up a lot of space. And if you don't have LIGHTROOM, you should get it and make your life easier.

Here's to eating healthy in the New Year. Take one, there's enough to go around. I already had one this morning.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 01-02-2018 at 05:41 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Natalie,

Natalie said:
Quote:
My skin is cracking....no lotion seems to help, going to try coconut oil....

If it is the skin on your hands that is cracking, get some WATKINS Salve. In the winter time, my husband has dried skin cracks around his thumb nails. They are deep and painful. We put the WATKINS Salve on, it works like a miracle cream. It is called Petro-Carbo Medicated First Aid Salve. Vaseline does nothing for his hand problems, but this stuff really works. It is a pain relieving salve with all-natural Spruce Oil. I am amazed at its healing power.

Dr. Luv2shoot
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Mark and Lorell,
Really beautiful shots. 👍

Mike🍀
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

Not so cold here as most of the USA. I drove by the old air base and took a picture of the largest wooden structure in the USA.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 08:15 PM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Carol, is that a lot of lichen in your tree? I often go looking for sunsets and end up not finding them.
Lorell, those oranges sure look tempting! Really nice shot. Thanks for the tip, Doc.....will see if I can find that, never heard of it....
Quint, wow, I googled it, it was built as a hanger for blimps???? It IS huge, they had photos of the inside. Just outside of Tillamook....lucky you!
Tried to freeze bubbles from my grand daughters bubble bottle, it did not work for me. Bummer.
Just talked to another poultry grower....his chickens went to market this week....the catch crew opened the end doors and ran fans (they HAVE to do that) and his water pipes froze from the end doors 200 feet in. He will have to replace all those drinker lines. UGH....not looking forward to my chickens going out in 2 weeks.....hope the weather changes before then....

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

About 4 miles from our home. WII was a big blimp base for the navy. There was two but in the early 90's one burned down as a result of storing hay, etc. At least we have one left.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria

Hails from Australia

Lorell - "Here's to eating healthy in the New Year. Take one, there's enough to go around. I already had one this morning."
Very organic looking mandarins - thanks, I'll take one but others better be quick …

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southwest Georgia (Columbus) on the banks of the Chattahoochee River

Hails from United States

Quint, that photo reminds me of Naval Air Station, Glenco, GA (near Brunswick, GA). I did two tours there for Air Traffic Control training (basic ATC and a couple of years later for ground control approach radar school). That was in the mid and late 60's. The classrooms were all in the hangers. They were large enough for us to form up for inspections, etc. Today the hangers are all gone, the base decommissioned, and is now a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, the largest in the nation. Brings back memories. How young I was back then.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

Don, I was in the service about that time too and drilled in a building like this in Great Lakes Naval Station. Later I went down to Moffett Field in California for a fly out on P3's. There were two here that housed blimps for the navy during the war but one burned down in the early 90's.