WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
Using the Internet

I have been thinking about the use of the Internet, especially the use of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter etc. I wonder if young people are losing the ability to interact effectively and communicate 'face to face' at a human level? I see groups of young people sat with their friends, just staring blankly into their smartphones and iphones and ipads etc, not even looking at each other, never mind talking with each other....this somehow concerns me.

Also, people hide behind the comments they make electronically on sites like facebook, and say things that they would never say to a person's face.....this seems somehow very wrong?

What do you think are the good and bad points about the growing use of the internet?

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Using the Internet

I agree with you. I think we (America at least) are turning into a nation of Smart phone zombies.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Like anything, it's a mixed bag. On balance it's quite positive I think. Humans are social animals. It's led to more communication among more people regardless of where they are. It makes us think of people outside of our local sphere.

Yes the "kids" are on the phones a lot, but they are still communicating with each other. In fact they are communicating even more because of it. They still go to parties and talk with each other face to face. They are still joining clubs and frats at college.

My 21 year old daughter is far more socially connected than I ever was, partly because of the smartphone.

Personally, although I don't think of myself as very social, I am addicted to the internet. Mostly because of it's "library in your lap" thing, but also because it's fun talking with the likes of all of you guys here.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Lord of the Arts

Someone posted a painting here on WC last year dealing with that in an interesting way. There were several "angels" trying to interact with the mortals who were locked in smartphone limbo. If I can find it I will post the link.

I totally supported the requirements at various venues where my kids would go, work, church, or whatever, with a "put your cellphone in this box" rule until whatever was happening was over.

I used to get a phone call from my siblings on holidays - now it is only a text, unless I call them!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Immortalized

I think perhaps it depends on which country you're in. For example many of my Japanese students have said that that dating has become really difficult in their country cos young people (particularly the boys) stay in their rooms online instead of going out to meet others.
I watched a filme recently called Ingrid goes west, a tale of the troubles that social media can bring to some less stable young people, with reference to stalking which is apparently quite prevalent.
I think it has a lot of pluses - information at our fingertips without having to carry loads of books and ease of contact with those far from us but like a lot of things it's about balance

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States

My kids and grandkids stopped over yesterday evening (New Years Day) for our traditional Roast Pork Sandwiches and Hot Dog dinner. (Pork products on New Years Day are supposed to bring Good Luck for the New Year!!)
For most of the time we spent together 6 of my 8 grandkids had their faces buried in either their cellphones or iPads ... so I made a grand-fatherly pronouncement!!!
"In the future all electronic devices will, from this day forward, be left at home or in the car that brought you here!!" My grandkids looked up at me like I had 2 heads then immediately returned to whatever device that had captured their attention prior to my pronouncement.
We'll see what happens!!!
Happy New Year
Ralph
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 01:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I don't mind it if I can meet my good cook older lady with a blue rinse soulmate on the internet.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

I think there are definitely advantages and drawbacks.

On the advantage side, my older son met his wife on the Internet in a cartooning Forum (rather like WetCanvas, but specifically for people who liked to do cartooning and caricatures). And my younger son made friends with people in Japan while we were there in the spring because of the Internet, and is heading back to Japan next month to meet up with them and spend some more time in that country.

On the disadvantage side, I know that my younger son has met a number of very negative people on the Internet who have said very hurtful things to him. As already had self-esteem issues stemming from living with Asperger's, these barbed comments from anonymous folks had a disproportionately injurious effect on him.

And both of them probably spend far too much time on the devices and far too little getting out into the real world, into the town, out into nature, out with friends. Just OUT SOMEWHERE.

Managed reasonably, I think our connectivity is a huge bonus. But there are pitfalls and easy addictions.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I don't mind it if I can meet my good cook older lady with a blue rinse soulmate on the internet.

I'm sure that lady is out there but you may have to settle for a purplish rinse.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Many years ago I thought, ' it sure would be cool if i could ask my computer Anything and it would give me answers'.
Too many answers come up now, but I can generally find the one that fits my needs enough to make the Entire Set of Encyclopedias obsolete.

I like the global connection, the easy ability to stay in contact with Everyone, or not, it's my choice.

Moderation is good - I hear ya, Grampa Ralph! Stick with your 'rule', at least of NO electronics at the dinner table. I inflicted that one a long time ago and nobody has died or quit coming for dinner.

Addiction, yeah, it happens. I've had the power go out here and found myself a little lost as to what to do. Painting, even by candle light, has worked, but it's a little disturbing, eye strain and color/value choices being so diminished.

Escapism, avoidance of the 'real world' and the great outdoors has its upside and down - it's sad to see fewer and fewer kids out playing in the streets, sad to see computers raising the modern child and I fear, a bit, a 'borg' collective gaining ground.

I listened to an interesting podcast recently that touched on AI (artificial intelligence) and that certainly has a potentially brilliant OR terrifying outcome. My flowery optimism figures they'll build AI to clean up the oceans and my dooming pessimism figures computers will overpower the lot of us menial humans.

In the meantime I think the internet is more positive than negative, for now. If the whole 'net neutrality' thing starts charging me for every 'click', revaluation will definitely happen.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I suppose it beats buying a whole set of encyclopedias. Google seems to have replaced the basic library, but it saves walking in the rain, especially in this country.

In real terms for me, the internet is the most social, anti social medium I've ever encountered. Globally it allows people to interact, whilst locally it isolates and typing has replaced the role of speech. I used to pick up the phone and call people. Now the protocol seems to be to text and ask if it's ok to call, weird.

Of course, new kids are born into it so know nothing other than ipads and games that they continually win and are praised for. Whether it's a good thing, only time will tell. Accept in life, if you fall off the ladder or smash into a wall, you can't go back and start again.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I suppose as with anything there is good and bad.

Anyway, it is here to stay and constantly evolving, perhaps only time will tell us the answer to my concerns.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 08:16 AM
South Carolina

Hails from United States

If you haven't encountered his work yet, you might find artist Pawel Kuczynski's take on this subject interesting.

www.frankiewolf.com
www.instagram.com/frankie.wolf/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

There's a distinction between the net as a whole and social media. Many studies have provided evidence that excessive use of social media is harmful, Facebook in particular and especially to young people.

Some ex-Facebook executives have gone even further.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-society-apart

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ain-psychology

Personally I've considered Facebook to be evil from its inception and will never be on it. The full extent of my participation in social media is right here and that's where it's gonna stay.

The net has also caused the near extinction of brick and mortar retail. We can't support most of our local merchants anymore, because there aren't any.

Carol O'Connell, one of my favorite authors, put it this way in the dedication of her latest novel.

Support your local bookstore... please.

The reborn samizdat of the Internet is not enough to keep
ideas alive and burning bright, not in a future with only one
store on a scorched landscape that used to be a marketplace.

Last edited by musket : 01-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Wolf
If you haven't encountered his work yet, you might find artist Pawel Kuczynski's take on this subject interesting.
Didn't know of him at all. Thanks for the reference, interesting work! Here's a link to his prints page (Pictorem), and one for his home page for those who are interested.

As for me, I guess I've become fairly indifferent to social media and its effect on the wider society. After the initial stampede, use seems to have levelled off and most people I know use them appropriately. There's a few apocalyptic nuts on my feeds, but who doesn't have those?

Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution