WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ January

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone will have a healthy, artistic, and prosperous year!

(From last month's thread: )

Thanks to everyone for the very kind comments on my Christmas card.

Hi Jo. Your card is so beautiful! Your work is, as always, so lovely. I could recognize your style anywhere. Wonderful work!

Hi Rick. I hope you get to be just plain busy instead of crazy busy. That's one of my goals, too. Hope it can come true! It sounds like you're working hard on a lot of paintings!

I've made little Christmas puddings - which are basically Oreo cookie crumbs, sweetened condensed milk, and semisweet chocolate...they are topped with white chocolate "snow" and some little Christmas tree sprinkles. They were fun to make, and oh-so-fudgy and delicious. I've got hot coffee, too! Happy New Year, friends.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ January

Happy New Year Jenna & to everybody else who fallows in.
Those little Christmas puddings look so good!

I'm hoping 2018 is a good year for me, because 2016, & 2017 were not. I lost a brother in Dec. 2016, & my Mother just this past November. It's been rough to say the least. My art took a back seat for over a year, got a few pieces done, but not much. I'd like to get back into the western art of things again.

Here's a piece I did in June (haven't done a thing since)
W&N Pigment Markers on Yupo paper, 9X12

Horse lovers are "stable" people
My Website http://www.freewebs.com/sheilastienley/index.htm
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Happy New Year!!

Jenna, thanks for the campfire and the goodies. Look and sound scrumptious. Hope your 2018 goes just as planned.

Sheila, so sorry for old 2017, but wishing you the best of 2018! The dog is beautifully done. Wow! Hope you get the bug for lots of art. I need that, too.

I finally got the January Challenge posted. I meant to do it last night, but we sat in front of the TV watching the balls fall and having some wine and snacks. Was up until 2:30 this morning so had plenty of time. Sigh....

Hope to get some painting done and kick start my 2018. Hugs all around!
Winston Churchill
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Sheila. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am hoping for better times in 2018. It's been a rough stretch for my family, too. In the last four years, we've lost my aunt Diane, my grandma Ervin, my uncle Wayne, and my uncle Warren. One person per year. So it's been very rough. I'm very sorry for your loss, too. I hope you'll have a better year this time around. That is a beautiful portrait of the dog! I hope you're able to focus in your artwork once again.

Hi Jo. I'm glad you like the looks of the goodies. I hope your 2018 goes well, too. Thank you so much for posting the Monthly Challenge! Such great photos. I really hope to see a lot of people join in! Hope you get some painting done!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Happy New Year 3 days late! Too icy here to do anything, although we had to travel to Ft. Worth yesterday on frozen interstate 20.

Jenna, you must share your recipe, those look so yummy!!!

Sheila, hoping 2018 is better! I lost my aunt and mother in 2017. Not a good year at all. Love your dog and the amount of detail on Yupo is spectacular.

Hello Jo. Thank you for doing the image challenge this month!

Hope to paint more serious watercolors and mixed media this year as last as nothing but problems. Many shows/exhibitions announcing now with very few decent ones to enter.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Happy New Year all! Looking forward to a better 2018!

Sheila and everyone else, so sorry about your losses. Love the pic you did of the dog. Excellent!

I went to a egg tempera demo on Tuesday. Wow, that is one complicated process. The artist was a 23 year old girl just one year out of art school. Has to make her own gesso plus mixes paint every day because it doesn't store. You can see some of her work at www.teaganmclarnan.com. Very talented and dedicated to making art her full-time career.

Going to get back to work on finishing some of these paintings so I can get on to new stuff.

Have fun!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Interesting info, Rick, thanks for the well wishes and the link! Happy New Year to you! Anything is better than 2017 was!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Rick, thanks for the well wishes. Hope you get all your painting done and more. The link to Teagan is interesting. Time intensive and beautiful work.

Kay, you have been busy and on the road. So chilly here. We haven't been doing too much. Did venture out to eat and to get groceries. Mostly putting Christmas stuff away. We don't put up much but putting away is tedious. it is always more exciting to get it out!

Happy painting/arting all y'all.
Winston Churchill
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I'm here to stir up the flame, make fresh coffee, and offer some chili for supper. Well, all the Christmas parties are done, and now, the house has been undecorated, and I'm ok with getting back to normal. Sadly, my upcoming art show in February fell through. I was not chosen this year, as there were a lot of applicants and few spaces. The staff had so many they wanted in the art show that they ended up drawing names, and mine was not picked. So, that was a bummer. But I guess I won't have to cram so much creatively. My time is freed up considerably, but I was sad not to make it into this show. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Hi Kay! Ok, here's the recipe:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Little Christmas Puddings

1 Can (14 OZ) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Square (1 OZ) Semisweet Chocolate
2 Tsp. Vanilla
2 1/4 C. Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Crumbs (Oreos, keep cream filling with cookie crumbs)
1/3 C. White Chocolate Chips
Red and Green Holly Decors (I used Christmas Tree Decors)

1. Combine sweetened condensed milk and semisweet chocolate in medium saucepan (or microwave, like I did ) and melt together until smooth. Stir in vanilla.

2. Stir cookie crumbs into milk and chocolate mixture until well blended; cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate 1 hour.

3. Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Shape heaping teaspoonfuls of crumb mixture into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Refridgerate until firm.

4. Place balls in 1 3/4 inch foil or paper baking cups. Place white chocolate chips in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on medium power for 2 minutes or until melted, stirring after each minute. Spoon melted white chocolate over tops of balls. Decorate with the decors, and let stand until set. Store covered in the fridge.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen treats.

__________________________________________________ ___________

They were tasty, so I hope you give them a try sometime.

Hi Rick. Wow, those paintings in egg tempura are so impressive! That must have been a fun class to take part in!

Hi Jo. I hope all is well with you. I'm hoping to get in some drawing for your wonderful challenge this month!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Northern CA

Hails from United States

Jenna, I love chili. I make it pretty often if it is raining. My theory is that the high humidity from the rain improves the taste. My story and I'm stickin' to it.
I'd love to try some of yours!

Sorry to hear about your show, Jenna. Drawing names out of a hat is an unusual way to pick artists. You certainly don't have any control over that and your skills and talents are in question. The luck of the draw only.

Cold and rainy here (chili weather). Have to fly to Seattle next week for my niece's memorial service. She died of cancer 2 days after Christmas. She had an incredible attitude through out the 11 months since she was diagnosed. Even died with a smile on her face. Her pregnant daughter had just walked into her room and told her that her baby was kicking. My niece got a big smile on her face, closed her eyes and was gone. That's the right way to do it.

Here's a first for me. I had a manicure and pedicure today. (It was a gift.) Not sure my fingernails look any different, but my feet feel better. The women in the salon were giving me a bad time about choosing the right nail polish for my toes, so I decided to go without any (wise choice). If you like to be pampered, that's the way to go. I doubt I'll be a regular customer...

Create!
I just push the paint around while the painting pushes me.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Jenna, that is the pits. Guess they have to do something, nothing against your beautiful art and beautiful set up. Thanks for the chile.

Rick, that is so sad, but sweet at the same time about your niece. Nice that you can go be with your family. Funny on your mani/peddi! I do not like anyone handling me for that or massage. I even cut my own hair when I can.

Normal here, a bit cool. They expect a freeze tonight out of towns. We went to Austin for Gene's check up, all good. Then we went for Brazilian lunch with our daughter, did some banking business and shopping. We got back to Bastrop about 5 and just kept going another 20 miles to Smithville and had some sushi and wine at our favorite wine bar, so spent about 12 hours out and about yesterday. A good day with a relaxing finish. We eat the cooked sushi, but it is still fun and tasty. Did some sketching at the Drs and the wine bar, but doesn't fit here. No other art this week. Again, normal!
Winston Churchill
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone...

I'm putting a few more logs on the fire. It's cold (-19C/-2F) in my little world. Windchill is at -28C/-18F. Over Christmas & into the new year it was 40 below.
If only I could afford to winter in Arizona every year.

Rick, thanks for that link. The young girl can sure paint up a storm. Lovely work. Also sorry for you loss of your niece. 2017 was a lousy year for so many.

Jenna, I think I will be making those Little Christmas Puddings a new tradition from now on. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
That's too bad that you didn't make it into the show.

I haven't been on my drawing table yet, been a bit busy with the grandkids. In a few hours I'll be leaving to go watch my grandson (age 6) play hockey in another town that's an hour away.

Stay warm

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-She
Hi everyone...

I'm putting a few more logs on the fire. It's cold (-19C/-2F) in my little world. Windchill is at -28C/-18F. Over Christmas & into the new year it was 40 below.
If only I could afford to winter in Arizona every year.

Sheila, boy, I would want out of the cold, too! You know we found that doing our summers in NM isn't all that expensive by renting a vacation rental with all included internet, washer dryer, etc. Close up our home except for bare essentials. You have to eat either place so daily expenses don't go up much. Of course we don't have animals or things like that to worry about. All our banking and bill paying is on line. Anyway, may give you some ideas.
Winston Churchill
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Jo, No can do. I have 7 horses & 4 grandkids that I can't be gone for 5 months of the year. It's going to warm up by Wed. Just a little above 0, then back on the minus side again. We've been very lucky this winter so far...... no storms & not much snow.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Sheila, I'm smiling! Guess hot chocolate and warm paintings will help. I'm sending warm vibes.....
Winston Churchill