WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Goalpost - January 2018

As Robert's not here yet...I thought I'd start this for him.

Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

This year I hope to continue losing weight, (long term goal!) and try to find that mojo again!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Goalpost - January 2018

Thank you, Deirdre. Just got up after a very long night of sleep, crashed early last night shortly after daughter and son in law went out to visit friends.

This month, it's winter. Not ambitious during winter. I have an SCA event to go to, so top of the list is:

1, Prepare for my calligraphy class and run it on the 20th.
2. Daily art or art related or creative activity. Writing counts.
3. Keep up my art supply review blog on Wednesdays since I did all December.

I think that's enough to go on with. Winter is not a good time for me to get things done.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South East

Hails from England

Oh dear, it's that time of the month again isn't it. Goals for January
1.Get some framing wood for tops of the baseboards for the model railway.
2. Make up the base boards and draw out some layouts.
3. Drive around our area and decide which animal is most prolific as a drawing model.
4. Take a few photo's and try to draw them.
5. Repeat no 4.
6. Get a larger heater for the garage (SWMBO may be able to help here).
Jim.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Hi Deirdre, Rob, and Jim...Happy New Year.

for me, this New Year is a new beginning. I haven't painted in sooo long, that i am doing a little Course on Facebook called Trinity Paintbox. There are exercises to get loose, and my #1 goal is to finish it (It's for one a day for 31 days of Jan.)

I will also do several paintings from photos my son sent me. I actually did one yesterday, and will do another today. I'm really excited about painting again!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:22 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Happy New Year, Deirdre, Robert, Jim and Judibelle. I still have not painted. We went away at Christmas, and came home to a house full of guests. Yes, the three exptra bedrooms are full of family and friends. That's a lot of cooking, let me tell you. It's difficult to paint with so many people around. It's been in the low 70's so everyone wants to go surfing, walking the beach or Balboa Park or kaayaking up close and personal with the sea lions. As of Saturday, I'll have my house back...
Goal:
#1. Paint!!!

I sincerely hope 2018 will be a safe, healthy and creative year for everyone.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:34 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Ooooh Karen, I envy you. Low 70s... that's so cool... I would be out painting, no question about that, good weather like that. But yeah with lots of people around it's hard to have time to paint if everyone wants to do other things. Only if you have lots of painters around. You could try getting them into urban sketching or plein air...

Purr! Judi, so glad to see you again, looking forward to everything you paint. Neat that you found a course and got new photos to work from.

Jim, your goals sound ambitious. Very cool. Great to draw around to see what's the most numerous drawing subject. I'll be curious what you turn up with, whether that's birds or hares or other people's dogs or squirrels. Yay for larger heater for the garage.

It's been bitter cold here so far. I did draw on the 1st and the 2nd, just didn't post here yet because I didn't get photo of the 1st one on the 1st. Yesterday goofed big time and posted the reference instead of the art for my Spotlight. I felt all good for doing Spotlight as soon as I saw it, right out of the gate... and came back to look at comments today to find comments like "Nice reference" and "This is a WIP right?" and of course, the obvious. OOPS! Well, the actual art is posted now and I put it out in Pastel Studio too. Animals and Wildlife had five comments on... the reference.

Today I did my product review. I might still draw or paint but if I do, I might not get a photo till tomorrow since it's twenty to five. The days are short and if I don't finish the art while it's still light out, photography has to wait till the morning after.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Seriously productive morning. I ordered the supplies for my Celtic Calligraphy class and then flipped the book open to make the handout. The handout looks good. It just needs to be printed now. I got a discount on the calligraphy markers I'm handing out with it at the class so this will work out great.

Might do some more art today, since that was just pretty lettering.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

I am definitely snowed in today.....about 12" so far and still snowing. I did a little painting (6"x 8") this morning, so I feel good about that. And did some 'loose' sketches this morning. I hope my enthusiasm continues throughout the month!

JudiB
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, that's great! Cool thing to do on a morning that you're snowed in. today's bright and I wasn't feeling too bad. Got in a kittens ink and watercolor today and did a photo of yesterday's WDE challenge one, will probably do something else too because I'm still awake and it's not as nasty cold. It's all the way up to 37, actually above freezing so I'm functioning and sun's out for light!

Not napping till after dark if I can help it.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Beautiful Berkeley, California!

Hails from United States

Hi, all!
I am seriously working on getting back to painting after a few years....
I’ve been doing polymer clay nativities lately, trying to raise a little money, now I’m ready to get back to drawing and painting, along with sewing for my kids and picking up whatever work I am able to get.

I spent the past couple days going through old Pastel Journals, winnowing out inspiration, and found lots! My only disappointment is that Wallis paper appears to be generally unavailable. I have some left, but am wondering what others are using in its place?

My goals for January is simple: paint before the end of the month, and get active on WC again so that I stay motivated.

The secondary goal is to continue working on massively decluttering my apartment—two rooms occupied by myself and my 12- and 13-year olds and my service dog (a small St Bernard) means that keeping a lot of stuff around makes it impossible to do anything. No space=no painting!

Keep warm!

Libby
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Libby, glad to see you and welcome back to painting! Is your small St. Bernard a runt or just a very young dog? I can see advantages to a St. Bernard as service dog, they're big and sturdy, you can lean on it, if it's well behaved it could be a joy. But yeah, it'd be hard to have stuff on shelves or tables when the big sweeping tail is at the same height.

What I've seen a lot is people turning to the coarse grades of Uart for an effect like Wallis. I still have some but it's still stashed partly due to space for doing large paintings, and partly because Wallis is so coarse I don't feel like using it unless I'm going to do 15 layers on the painting and finish with big squishy impasto strokes. I like to finger blend occasionally and on Wallis that turned into "bleed" pretty fast. I like a medium to a fine grit on sanded paper, but each their own.

Decluttering your apartment may help a lot with being able to paint easier. Good containment is important. I love my taboret, got it eight or nine years ago on sale on a holiday sale from Blick and it's wonderful. I have it shoved under my desk right now and can still get at what's in the drawers. Drawers and cabinets and tubs are key. Oh heck, I'll start a thread for this. Was about to go on at length!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Hi Libby...good to see you getting back to painting. I am just getting back, also, after a long hiatus...
I have done one a day since the 1st of Jan. Also doing the Trinity Paintbox Courses for the month of Jan. on Facebook. It's quite different from what i'm used to, but I intend to follow through for the month.\, and again, is one a day.
So i'm looking forward to a productive month!

JudiB
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yay for daily art, Judi! That rocks. I need to get over to Studio to see what you've posted, sounds fantastic. If it's not all pastel, where do you have your dailies posted?

Did another one today, so that's a trip. Two days in a row did two artworks each day, it's cranking up. This is so good. Posted in Art Journals and in Watermedia.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

It's all on Facebook, Rob. It's the Trinity Paintbox Courses There's an exercise a day.
The art I'm doing daily for me, I have not posted. I'm still getting used to pasteling again after being away so long. I've forgotten much of what I used to know....But I'm having fun getting back into it.
Yesterday I spent the day cleaning off my pastels and rearranging and putting away all that had been left out for so many months. Felt (mentally) good at the end of the day, but very stiff and achy from sitting so long...

But it's all Good!

JudiB
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Welcome back, Libby. I have many friends who miss Kitty's paper. We laugh about the value of the last few pieces of paper.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines