WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Near Reading, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Unhappy New sable brushes don't hold a point

Hi all,

I purchased two Jackson's Kolinsky pointed round brushes (size 8 and 10) last month and felt they were not quite right from the start. After using them a number of times and comparing them with other sable brushes I have, it is clear that they simply do not hold a point well. More often than not, the point splits so I can't get a nice fine line. I have to really work at it to get a nice point. I suppose I could just keep them and use them for other purposes, but I'm not really sure what exactly they would be useful for, to me. I expect a "pointed round" to have a good point. Is this something that you would contact Jackson's about and request a refund, or am I just being picky and unreasonable? They were not cheap even though I bought them on sale. What do you think?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Raleigh NC

Hails from United States
Re: New sable brushes don't hold a point

You may want to send those back for exchange or refund. Painting is hard enough, you don't want brushes to be a distraction. Happy new year and happy painting!

- Tesh
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

Are these in the 920 series? They are quite inexpensive but also the quality of the sable reflects that. I find them very soft with nearly no spring. Not a bad brush just not a DaVinci. I have one and it points, but not great. It's pretty floppy otherwise. I use it for big areas where I don't need a lot of detail.

Jackson's are notoriously bad at customer service, but you should still notify them about the problem. You may or may not get a reply. You may or may not get new brushes or your money back. If you don't get a resolution from them directly, I would file a complaint with PayPal if you used PayPal to pay or your credit card company or your bank. That tends to get their attention.

Good luck!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Near Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshparekh
You may want to send those back for exchange or refund. Painting is hard enough, you don't want brushes to be a distraction. Happy new year and happy painting!

- Tesh

Exactly, watercolour is my hobby and I want it to be FUN. There is enough to work on without struggling with poor brushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7
Are these in the 920 series? They are quite inexpensive but also the quality of the sable reflects that. I find them very soft with nearly no spring. Not a bad brush just not a DaVinci. I have one and it points, but not great. It's pretty floppy otherwise. I use it for big areas where I don't need a lot of detail.

Yes, they are the 920. They may be inexpensive as far as sable goes but it was still more than £40 for the two brushes, which I'd rather not simply throw away. Quite a few reviewers on Jackson's site also mentioned the point issue, so at least it's not just me.

Quote:
Jackson's are notoriously bad at customer service, but you should still notify them about the problem. You may or may not get a reply. You may or may not get new brushes or your money back. If you don't get a resolution from them directly, I would file a complaint with PayPal if you used PayPal to pay or your credit card company or your bank. That tends to get their attention.

Good luck!

Thanks! I think I will contact them. I consider the brushes defective and not fit for purpose, but I wonder if they might claim it as normal variation in a natural hair brush. I have not had a problem with their customer service in the past, but we'll see.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

Inexpensive or not, brushes should hold a point. The price of brushes does not depend on their ability to hold points (other than on clearance sale). A brush that does not hold a point was badly made (not properly tapped in the die, wrong length of hairs used, improperly glued, twisted before glue up, twisted in the ferrule...). Of course, a manufacturer will be forced to sell brushes cheaper if the failure rate is high... but that does not make them inexpensive for anybody.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 AM
Near Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
Inexpensive or not, brushes should hold a point. The price of brushes does not depend on their ability to hold points (other than on clearance sale). A brush that does not hold a point was badly made (not properly tapped in the die, wrong length of hairs used, improperly glued, twisted before glue up, twisted in the ferrule...). Of course, a manufacturer will be forced to sell brushes cheaper if the failure rate is high... but that does not make them inexpensive for anybody.

Thank you for your reply. It seems obvious, a brush called a pointed round should hold a point. I just hope Jackson's agrees with us.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I have had the same problem with some smaller 920 series brushes that I ordered during their black friday deals in 2016. This year I ordered a few of a different series. We shall see if they are better!
I did not spend more than a few dollars on the 920's and sometimes that frayed look is something I want so I just kept them. However, if they were larger, more expensive ones I would definitely be unhappy.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Italy

Hails from Italy

I ordered from Jackson's for the very first time just before Christmas and have to say that I found their customer service very good.
I was supposed to get a free tube of Qor watercolour paint with my order but when my order arrived the tube was missing. I sent an email to mention this and had a really nice reply apologising and offering me either 10% discount on my next order or the 10% refunded from my last order. I chose the latter as my order had been pretty big and worth getting that money back from.

If you aren't happy with the brushes I'd send them an email and see what they come back with.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:16 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahM
Hi all,

I purchased two Jackson's Kolinsky pointed round brushes (size 8 and 10) last month and felt they were not quite right from the start. After using them a number of times and comparing them with other sable brushes I have, it is clear that they simply do not hold a point well. More often than not, the point splits so I can't get a nice fine line. I have to really work at it to get a nice point. I suppose I could just keep them and use them for other purposes, but I'm not really sure what exactly they would be useful for, to me. I expect a "pointed round" to have a good point. Is this something that you would contact Jackson's about and request a refund, or am I just being picky and unreasonable? They were not cheap even though I bought them on sale. What do you think?

Contact them and send them back
For a full refund or replacement

I would go for a replacement and if they are not good a full refund
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Maybe it's the shape. I bought a couple of brushes described as "pointed rounds" from WN and hated them to bits. They did not hold a point either. This shape name was in contrast to the regular just plain "round." Since then I have not bought any brush described that way. In contrast, I bought a couple of inexpensive large synthetic rounds, Raphael Precision 16 and 28, and they hold their points quite well. They don't have that weird elongated point like the WN brushes did. So I am wondering if maybe it is the shape itself that is problematic rather than the individual brush(es).
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Espoo, Finland

Hails from Finland

If you're going to buy a Kolinsky then it absolutely needs to hold a sharp point - otherwise you would just buy a cheaper sable. Even an inexpensive Kolinsky costs a lot more than your average sable brush, so I wouldn't settle for anything less than one that you are completely satisfied with.

I own two Kolinsky's and they are Lineo. I'm happy with them both - they were also relatively cheap for a Kolinsky brush. They are long round brushes, almost like chinese brush painting ones so maybe not to everyone's liking.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Near Reading, England

Thank you everyone for your replies and support. I intend to contact Jackson's and ask to return them for a refund. Given that there are two brushes in the same line with the same problem I don't really want to take a chance on replacements from the same line of brushes.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:14 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Prep for new brushes
when you get new brushes they are stuck together with arabic gum to protect the point
You must soak them till they are soft then rinse them often to get rid of the gum
then you can use them regularly
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 AM
Near Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeman
Prep for new brushes
when you get new brushes they are stuck together with arabic gum to protect the point
You must soak them till they are soft then rinse them often to get rid of the gum
then you can use them regularly

Thank you, yes, I'm aware of the gum arabic. These brushes were well soaked and have no gum arabic left in them.