WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States
Wolf 2 W.I.P.

Hello,

I thought I would try another 2.5" X 3.5" piece, this time mostly acrylic... and see what happens. I started another wolf, yesterday, Colored Pencil, that 'went South' on me and I gave up on.

This is a tiny little stretched canvas that I found at my art store yesterday. So far I'm finding that miniature peices take a long time to do as well, which isn't supposed to be the point, but apparently is for me at least.

I am hoping to do a realistic peice, but if it turns out 'cutesy,' that will be ok too I guess. I already had the eye way too big and had to cut it down..and the little threads on the canvas are now HUGE and can really mess things up at this size. I thought of using just a smooth piece of illustration board, but I had this cute little canvas so here I am. Plus I'm painting the sides as I go along, also for 'fun.'

There are other things I "should" be doing, but I like adventures in art and who would keep my little local art store in buisiness if I wasn't in there always buying stuff....

Thanks for looking.. if the thread stops, that means I probably messed it up. The background is already a too cutesy kind of blue, but I think I'll move on a little bit and work on the creature. It's going to be snowflake peice in the end, if all goes well. If I can figure out how to cheat with my colored pencils, I probably will. Thanks for looking , Karen

The bad in process pics are thanks to my cheesy outdated office scanner not really suitable for art.

Oh, the only reason this is possible for me to attempt is a lady at the art store told me about this brush and how to use it....Septre Gold 303... here's the link...Just scroll down.. she called it a script brush but I think it's a size O Rigger.
https://www.dickblick.com/items/05847-1000/
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-29-2017 at 01:30 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Wolf 2 W.I.P.

I love those brushes. I've heard it called both but I call it a rigger too.

This is looking good, it'll be interesting to see what you do and how you're doing it. Looking forward to it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 02:02 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Ok, so there, it's more a of a gun metal blue... just Basic white, black and ultramarine blue... It could have used a bit of dark green, didn't feel like tromping to the basement again.. and the snowflakes will go in at the end anyway. I use Basic paints because they have a mat finish and make it easy for me to use a little colored pencil over top once in a while.. some of the other stuff I have doesn't accomodate CP.
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-29-2017 at 02:04 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 PM
French Riviera

Hails from France

Thank you for showing us your technique. I like the opposition you make between "realistic" and "cutesy", it's food for thought.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brandin
Thank you for showing us your technique. I like the opposition you make between "realistic" and "cutesy", it's food for thought.

I like the cutesy stuff too, I actually am no good at that. I was hoping to take a shot at realism on a mini... if I can do it...but no room for detail or not much, but I've seen a couple of others pull it off. I can see that the eye is still Too Big ... ....he's looking more fox rather than wolf because of it.. there are an awful lot of foxes on minis I've noted.

Your website is super nice M.Brandin... I also saw your Etsy minis, the cat series... seems like you pack a lot into a mini. I see quite a bit of fur detail, especially on the long hair.

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 PM
French Riviera

Hails from France

There's plenty of room in a miniature when you're working with a magnifying glass, actually it's the same amount than in a standard picture.You may have to cheat a little to make it stand out from a normal distance (without magnifying glass): strong values and color contrasts, exageration of proportions ( big eyes ! ) I'm far from being a master miniaturist, that's just my take. Look at the english miniature painters societies for more, also Nicholas Hilliard, and Wes & Rachelle Siegrist (wildlife miniature paintings ).
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:14 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hi Again... thanks for the advise! I will look into the other artists.... You look pretty advanced in the type of art to me, though m.Brandon. Beautiful art.

So here I am back on my adventure. I glued a piece of the STrathmore Bristol finish ACEO paper to a piece of my usual art board... Canson Bristol Finish illustration board.. so that I could try painting on it without warping. Elmers Glue, real thin, just around the edges. It made a nice thick board with a smoother finish than my regular art board alone.

Then I colored over the 'to be painted background' area with a white Prismacolor to put down a layer of wax, to further guard against warping when I painted. Then I cut out the ref and taped it down lightly over my traced in wolf and sprayed it lightly with that Brush and Pencil workable fixative.

All went well. As expected, the stretched canvas ACEO had a much nicer finished blended background... and I tried another layer of the spray over my first coat of background paint and it bubbled up like all holy hll... made a mess of it... Now it's goppy. I am hoping maybe with the significant number of snowflakes to be added, it won't be so noticeable. I got the wolf eye I wanted, right size... and painted over my original tracing ..nose too, now let me move along going between colored pencil and painting on the wolf and see what happens, I guess.

I wish I had a magnifying glass. I have a pair of my strongest reading glasses which used to magnify things, but I guess my eyes have gotten worse because now it's not as easy to see out of even those anymore . I used those for years on my super detailed large pieces.

Brush and Pencil workable fixative: I am advising not to use it on mini pieces.. even if you use it sparingly over colored pencil.. it looks like suddenly there is a thin layer of sleet on your entire peice. Maybe for big pieces...I dont' like it for colored pencil minis.

Ref pic: The black doesn't print right so you can't even judge from the printed ref. what it's supposed to look like. I usually don't show my ref pics because my finished work never really looks like the ref, even it if turns out.

Also, I was able to get a lot more of the fur pattern on the piece, traced on, transferred on.... it really helps to get the fur pattern right.. makes the final product so much more believable... I had a terrible struggle to get anything on the stretched canvas.. it was just such a small, cheap.. 'for fun' little thing, not really suitable for fine art.
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I use those sometimes but I do put several base coats on if I'm doing a detailed picture to give a nice smooth area to work on.

This is looking great!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brandin
There's plenty of room in a miniature when you're working with a magnifying glass, actually it's the same amount than in a standard picture.You may have to cheat a little to make it stand out from a normal distance (without magnifying glass): strong values and color contrasts, exageration of proportions ( big eyes ! ) I'm far from being a master miniaturist, that's just my take. Look at the english miniature painters societies for more, also Nicholas Hilliard, and Wes & Rachelle Siegrist (wildlife miniature paintings ).

I found one of their wildlife galleries but guess what, they don't give any close ups!!! Thanks for the tip.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 06:38 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
it'll be interesting to see what you do and how you're doing it. Looking forward to it.

That makes two of us because everytime I great a great idea... I think, no that's going to look too goppy... or no, the detail will disappear... etc etc...

I thought of getting out my heating pad so that I could put the piece on top, heat up the little board.. then the colored pencil would go on smoother, without 'start gops'. Where the line starts, there's a gop. Visible super close up, anyway... like if you put it on the scanner, which I am, because taking tons of pics is hard work, camera fighting to focus on tiny piece all the time.

Plus I can't find my heating pad. I could just use the 'smear' also known as the 'smurge' in the colored pencil forum, but not enough room to leave the little white areas showing through.

Colors so far... I am using a bit of Burnt Ochra toned down by a very light brown, Light Umber... there are reddish brown areas on a wolf and that makes him look pretty, but too much red and suddenly everyone's brain is going to read fox. White for smearing it a bit into a blend...

Also licked the sharp point of that Derwent inktense "Baked Earth' for poppin' red brown color... but a tiny bit of that went almost too far...

Sharpened really small the Derwent INktense Iris Blue .. licked that and it went to the eyeball, was way too dark so did same right over top with the Derwent water color pencil China White .... made it a light blue again, but with more pop than I had before... then I had to retrace the eye liner and iris super light with my Prismacolor black.

I could have waited on the color and painted it over in the end, over the gray fur detail by moistening my aquarelle colors than painting them right over the Prismacolor gray fur detail.... that works so long as you don't start mixing aquarelles into the fur detail... use all waxy Prismacolors, then it's safe to go that way.. I might do a bit of both.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 07:27 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Now... using the 50% warm gray.... and still paying attention to the direction of fur... I tried to make little fur impressions best I could in the style that I saw in the reference. Because I had some nice thick layers of Prismacolor down, the Burnt Ochra...smashed down by lots of white Prismacolor.. the gray did a really good job in making the little fur impressions go on pretty smooth without gopping. Pretty happy with that.

That pencils happens to be a 50% warm gray.

What I learned from my failed wolf the day before yesterday... it doesn't matter of you use a warm gray in one area for fur impression and then a cool gray elsewhere... it's like the grays vary a lot on wolves, apparently.

Then Prismacolors actually have French grays at various percentages... and some of those look like brown/ grays to me. I should buy stock in Prismacolors for all of the talking about them that I do.

I thought about using a pen here.... but a pen can be too sharp and fur impressions or fur clumps really need to NOT have defined marks or they won't look real. Am pretty happy with that, giving a close up.

Also, I took my watercolor China White to a sharp point, moistened it, and re strenghtened the highlight on the nose that had disappeared somewhere, no idea where it went.

All of the goppy areas in my close up that you see aren't done yet.

Also in the close up, can you see how I got that light line in the dark eye marking that comes from the left corner of the eye? I worked real hard to get an impression there, because they all have that streak in there, it's not just one color. I tried a couple of different ways, took a couple of tries. Talking about the enlarged pic, upper left corner. I see people with large pics that neglect to get that little feature in there and then their eyes look fake... , maybe the eyeball looks good, but a great eyeball is no use if you have a fake looking eye surround, in my humble opinion.

Now I'm just wishing the background wasn't so goppy.... but I went over that with a layer of close matching Prismacolors with the intention that I might try one more coat over that before I try to figure out how to tget the snowflakes on it. I heated the thing up and warmed it with the hairdryer first, so it would be warm, before going over with the close matching Prismcolors.. and I used those Basic paints, mostly, that I already found out I can use Prismacolor over once they dry well. Any paints with any kind of gloss to them usually ruin the surface for any colored pencil afterwards. It just won't hold, my experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-31-2017 at 07:38 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:10 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Here to demonstrate the smear that makes things look kinda' real....usually .... Put the dark colors on, used that 90% cool gray, the Sepia, kinda' brown ... but a really dark nature like brown... not a popping brown that shows up really bright brown... and black, all Prismacolors... (around the eye)
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

continued from last frame.. then you give all I just did a bit of a smear with the white... in the direction of fur growth, not just 'any which way'
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Then go back in with your darks and add more distinct fur impressions, especially for the longish hairs.. with the darks.. leaving opening for some light to be between them...
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Attachment 852890Attachment 852887Moving along as described, last couple of posts with these colors: White, Beige Peach, Light Umber, 50 % Warm Gray , Sepia, and Black... sticking to all Prismacolors so that I can dab moist aquarelles over top in the end, colorize it a bit more, and nothing will smear.

When I darken the darkest spots.. the darkest color goes only in the middle of the spot or area... so that it will look like it blends out evenly into the white colors... you can't just darken an area with one dark color, well, this is the way I do it for animal fur.... even for regular, large pics. Thanks for looking.

Boy, that background issue is standing out like a sore thumb now, hmmmm.
Attached Images

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-31-2017 at 10:26 AM.