WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM

First Oil Portrait

This is my first oil portrait. Pretty happy with it. This is a brother and sister... taken from a cell phone selfie at a Seahawk game so it had some challenges. She passed away last year after a battle with cancer. Learned a lot doing this. Skin tones are hard.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: First Oil Portrait

Just fine as-is. I assume that there was a distracting background, which you have successfully removed. Just the right balance between sharp detail and obscured detail.

For a first portrait, especially good. I have noticed that new portrait artists (even those who routinely do landscapes) fail to capture skin highlights. You did it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

This is a very beautiful portrait ,love it !!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 PM

I think it looks fine, I'm assuming you want the golden yellow effect...

If you are after a more realistic coloring, this is roughly the coloring I would use,
(less extreme yellow...)

However I think its up to individual judgement.. a matter of taste.. colors don't have to be realistic....your portrait is fine and sunny and colorful

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Portraits are very nice for a first. However, the background color is distracting to me. IMHO, a neutral or complementary color would make the portraits stand out better.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch1946
I think it looks fine, I'm assuming you want the golden yellow effect...

If you are after a more realistic coloring, this is roughly the coloring I would use,
(less extreme yellow...)

However I think its up to individual judgement.. a matter of taste.. colors don't have to be realistic....your portrait is fine and sunny and colorful

Yeah itís actually not all that golden. Itís a lot closer to the altered image you posted. My camera for some reason darkened and warmed the colors a bit.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 AM

haha, a similar thing happened to me once on my phone, for some reason the phone started taking yellow pictures, I didn't know what was going on until I finally got a google answer... my phone has a bunch of settings that let you do stuff manually or if you're an expert, which I'm definitely not, you can change the white balance, or use filters, or let the phone compensate for too much blue. etc etc.
I changed some settings for some thing I wanted then forgot about it... so I got a whole bunch of extremely sunny pictures...

When you started this thread and said 'flesh tones are hard' I thought at first that you might be new to oil paint, and your brush might have been loaded with yellow that was bleeding into every mix...