WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Resolutions?

I think we do this every year but we may as well do it again this year. What are your New Year's Resolutions?
I make only one and that is to not make any resolutions.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Resolutions?

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Just two, live another year and keep painting.

Dave's Website.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 06:37 AM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

None, same as last year and the year before.

in case anyone wants to see what they resolved to do and didn't

2016 - ? couldn't find

2015 - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=Resoluti ons

2014 - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ht=Resolutions

http://www.artallison.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

No, I don't really make resolutions but I do know that once I get through all this "season" of eating and drinking way too much, I'll look forward to some real puritan birdlike eating again - like vegetables and water only. Ugh...all this sugar and alcohol and stuffing massive quantities of holiday food into the gaping pie hole makes me feel like an uncomfortable Macy's parade blimp. Of course I'm saying all this right NOW - after having finished a lovely sparkly candlelit (Itai) dinner of homemade lasagna, mediterranean salad (tuna, arugula, chickpeas, pesto, kalamata olives, grape tomatoes), warm garlic ciabatta, red wine and chocolate pannetone (wonderful and from a 1888 recipe from Pasticceria Scarpato in Verona). Tomorrow, there'll be a 4-day trip to the in-laws with some MORE food and drink and then hooray...NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE!!!! I resolve to tape my beak shut until spring.

I see this was my 2015 (non)resolution. She’s so dramatic, that one. I’m sure I ate some bits of food between then and spring. And now, I sit here, in a hotel visiting the in-laws, hung over, and after eating some very good, thin crust, NJ pies (pizza) followed by a fantastic tartufo. Today is another but final, day. More catered food, more eating, with even more people squeezed inside at a greater decibel level. It looks like Christmas is really just Ground Hog Day.

I suppose there’s no escaping family OR food. You have to endure both.
But you can still enjoy the spaces in between.

(Too bad though, that WC seems to be a figment of its former self...)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 08:57 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Well, for a number of years I'd just post "Not to make any New Year's Resolutions" for it. But then I expanded from that.

I plan to avoid dieting.

I will not join a gym or take up formal exercise.

I will goof off more and enjoy myself.

I will drink more alcohol. It would be nice to have an alcohol tolerance.

I will avoid Self Improvement entirely, in favor of Enjoyment.

Seriously. Think about it. What exactly am I supposed to be torturing myself for? What is the point of the great Annual Sacrifice and Shaming?

67% of Americans make resolutions. 9.2% succeed at them.

What is the point of that? It's shaming. It's one ugly thing at the top of the year to start you off feeling Like A Failure. Ugh. Not worth it.

So choose goals that are easy so that within the same week or two you've got "I succeeded" or self fulfilling ones that'll give joy all year round. Now if you really enjoy using the gym and that's an actual treat, you like the atmosphere, weight lifting is your hobby or yoga or whatever, then that's its own thing and go for it. I'm not saying my tastes and pleasures should be everyone's - good grief! I'm disabled! All of y'all that don't have mobility impairment and body energy problems, don't try to live at my snail's pace. You'll be driven nuts in hours and accomplish nothing.

But don't do these things to punish yourself for not being good enough. You're not for sale. You're a person, people aren't things, you don't have to be exceptional to be worthy of living - and exceptional in all regards simultaneously, as in young, rich, good looking, healthy, attractive, but virtuous, but fun to socialize with... it can even start getting contradictory. When it does you get strange values.

There's only one place those values appear without contradiction - and that's in advertising. So don't listen to the commercials. Or do so critically. Save the will power for understanding and resisting commercials. I just stopped watching television because I didn't have time and enjoyed reading and hanging out online more.

Oh! That's a third great category for resolutions. Give up things you don't like and don't enjoy!

1. Avoid eating foods I don't like, even if socially pressured.

2. Avoid wearing clothes that aren't comfortable, even if fashionable.

3. Avoid wasting time trying to seem normal.

4. Avoid wasting money on things I don't like, use or want. Just put all impulse purchases through that filter. Am I actually enjoying this? Will I go on enjoying it? Sometimes it's worth taking a chance on a disappointment but most times that knocks out most of the money stupidity.

5. Avoid worrying about what other people think of me.

That last one is the most difficult, but it can be vitally important.

Some of them are right but cruel about it. A lot of them are just wrong. Most are going on simplified assumptions about who you are - which is where most of the dissing on what you wear comes in anyway. People around here could look at me and think I came off the set of Duck Dynasty because I've got this beard heading for my waist, flannel shirt and hoodie, jeans and so on, but here I am actually an old hippie artist. Hint: the baseball cap says Terry Ludwig Pastels on it. That establishes me. The sketchbook finishes the picture - and when they see that sketch of their horse, wow, that completes it. To me, I'm still practicing horses. To them, the love of her life is looking back at her from the page. Same as if any of you drew my cat really.

So there's three good approaches to New Year's Resolutions, none of which are going to involve any Self Denial. Only one will take any will power and that won't take much if I pay more attention to the others.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 12-28-2017 at 09:29 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
None, same as last year and the year before.

in case anyone wants to see what they resolved to do and didn't

2016 - ? couldn't find

2015 - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=Resoluti ons

2014 - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ht=Resolutions

Wow! that was weird reading all my posts in the 2015 thread...

I feel a bit sad that a lot of people on that thread used to post here regularly and don't anymore. I wonder why that is.

I'm not doing the resolution thing either. I find the beginning of a New Year always a bit of a downer after Christmas and so I don't want to feel bad about anything else if I am unable to achieve it.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

For me, resolutions have worked out in the past. I've had success with:
Diet: 5 servings of fruits and /or vegetables a day (one has to be an apple.) It's not hard but life changing. OJ with breakfast. A few carrots or cherry tomatoes and an apple with lunch. Normal dinner vegetables -spinach, green beans.
Live more like a minimalist. Downsize.
Exercise at least once a week.

This year:
Do bucket list sorts of things. Hike a few miles on the Pacific Crest trail. (Unlikely but you never know)
Find somewhere to volunteer.
Find a gallery. Use wealth generated from gallery representation to pay off remaining credit card debt.
Find a small, scenic plot of cheap land somewhere where I can park my tiny house that I haven't yet built.
Continue to stay off of Facebook. (Can you see what it does to people?)

☮✞AΩ☼ http://www.christophervasil.com

Last edited by Artchrispy : 12-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I resolve to try to be a nice person and stop breaking hearts.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Everyone needs to come back in a couple of months and let us know how well they did on their resolutions. The other two threads were fun to read too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I resolve to try to be a nice person and stop breaking hearts.
Lotsa luck Romeo!

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

The only resolution I am wanting to work on for 2018 is a large (32" or so) 4K resolution computer monitor that also has the smart tv guts in it. (Yup, bad joke, sorry....)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 05:20 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
Everyone needs to come back in a couple of months and let us know how well they did on their resolutions. The other two threads were fun to read too.

Lotsa luck Romeo!

Thank you, I'll try to keep away from the Capulet's
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 06:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I resolve to accomplish in 2018 the goals I set in 2017, which I should have done in 2016, because I made the resolution in 2015, but I had been planning them since 2010.

My work on Facebook
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 07:06 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I think if someone wishes to change in any way, a date in a calendar isn't going to Increase discipline or willpower.

Not for me anyway. The Times I've made changes in my life that have worked have been in the moment. Like, do it now, get on with it kind of thing.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:20 PM

This year I resolve to improve myself.

<Jeopardy music>

Well not much to do there, guess I'm all done!