WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Mungyo pastels - color issues

I have Mungyo Semi Hard and Extra Fine Soft pastels sets (120 and 200) colors, and noticed that there are some weird issues with colors - is anyone experiencing similar?
Semi Hard:
107 Pale Portrait Pink - mine is light/medium violet, with thin layer on one side (only the part without paper) being pink. Looks more like violet being discolored in sun.
079 Burnt Sienna - mine is something like dark olive green/khaki - strongly greenish.
036 Wine Red, 037 Dark Wine Red and few other colors - mine has black grain mixed into pastels. Looks like colors were darkened with improperly milled black.
Extra Fine Soft:
424 Cobalt Blue Dark - mine is strong dark violet, something like lavender, not like cobalt at all. The regular cobalt (not dark) color is as expected.
Just found out now that color chart at Mungyo site is wrong for all cobalt colors and one violet: http://mungyo.co.kr/eng/05_arts/arts...el&mod e=view
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Mungyo pastels - color issues

Good to know this, thank you. Not sure on the Cobalt Blue Dark if that wasn't a mislabel but still, that's good to know. Yikes about the chart!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 06:53 AM

I had the issue with 107 Pale Portrait Pink. I returned it to Jerry's for an exchange. I haven't noticed any other issues.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 11:52 AM

107 Pale Portrait Pink looks exactly the same. Bit unexpected that you have this one issue meaning bad batch but not the other issues.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 05:16 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

That's interesting. Yeah. It could have been a bad batch but that's pretty damning.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM

On the Extra Fine Soft 424 Cobalt Blue Dark - I just remembered that not long ago I did compare all the colors between Extra Fine Soft and Hand Made from Mungyo, and found that all color codes and names are the same, only with different order in charts. So it is natural to expect that colors are really the same, and also Hand Made does list pigments, likely the same are used in Extra Fine Soft. So, I checked details of 424 Cobalt Blue Dark from Hand Made - it has the same pigments as Cobalt Blue, but interestingly color in chart is visibly violet (though less than mine), unlike Cobalt Blue which is just blue. So it looks that Mungyo makes dark version of Cobalt Blue by changing distribution of pigments in a way that makes it more violet than dark. Poor naming from Mungyo.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

To me it looks like the sun bleached one side of the portrait pink pastel.
I have a few mungyo semi soft ones that I left near a window, a few of them faded on one side like that. They are now being used to mark up drywall, concrete and other construction uses, I can't trust them. I only had a few, the grey shades and earth tone sets, the grey seemed ok, out of the other set the yellows and oranges faded, the browns were ok.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidox
On the Extra Fine Soft 424 Cobalt Blue Dark - I just remembered that not long ago I did compare all the colors between Extra Fine Soft and Hand Made from Mungyo, and found that all color codes and names are the same, only with different order in charts. So it is natural to expect that colors are really the same, and also Hand Made does list pigments, likely the same are used in Extra Fine Soft. So, I checked details of 424 Cobalt Blue Dark from Hand Made - it has the same pigments as Cobalt Blue, but interestingly color in chart is visibly violet (though less than mine), unlike Cobalt Blue which is just blue. So it looks that Mungyo makes dark version of Cobalt Blue by changing distribution of pigments in a way that makes it more violet than dark. Poor naming from Mungyo.

Does unison lists pigments in hanrdmade on ones?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

I have worn down my pale portrait pink and never noticed any issues... it is one of my most used colors.

You must have gotten a weird batch...I LOVE the Mungyo seni-hards and haven't had any issues with them. Jerry's should exchange it for you.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

One of the things that occurred to me later is that light isn't the only thing that can discolor a pastel. Heat or chemistry, smoke, that can affect exposed supplies.

DB, you've got a good idea for what to do when you discover faded pastels like that. Segregate those sticks and use them where it doesn't matter. I think a lot of brands have a few interspersed here and there. Manufacturers claim lightfastness but some will list their more fugitive colors, others don't. I really look forward to having my cottage, may start up some serious light testing once I've got the space and sunny windows to put up all those strips.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Jerry's did replace mine quickly with no issue. I assumed it was a bad batch, too.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

This is interesting! I've seen this when making my own pastels. In some pigment mixes, one of the pigments forms a coating over the whole pastel by migrating to the surface when still wet. Causes some confusion in figuring out the hue.