WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 01:59 PM

Pigeon Parliament

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pigeon Parliament
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10x13 inched
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Iíll be honest. I struggled with this one.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All feedback is welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Pigeon Parliament

nice, full composition with pleasing colors and a bit of a story.

something to think about in future works could be how to push the atmospheric perspective. e.g.. fading detail as distance distances. are the short trees closer to the viewer or are the tall trees closer to the viewer. you've got some nice softening of edges with the more distant buildings, yay, but then the clouds are quite solid, close, not airy and up in the atmosphere. the birds, tho varying sizes, appear to be all the same density of paint. the result is a quite narrow depth of field.
good job overall, acrylics are tricky. i especially like the short trees and the red stuff underneath them (even tho the red breaks All the rules i just suggested you work on).

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Nice story idea. I wont touch on too much except to say you need to work on your perspective.

Establish where your story is, and what you are trying to convey to the viewer.
Sketch out thumbnails in your sketchbook of various angles before you start to work out overall perspective and camera. Your essentially a movie director. Design your camera shots to tell a story. Its how I work myself. I often do up to 20 thumbnails before committing to a painting, so the same process may help you.
The thumbnails don't have to be perfect, just enough for you to get your general idea established and they are throw away. Spend no more than 5 minutes per thumbnail.

Other than that, there is no clear light or shadows and the birds are just black with no sense of depth or space. At least try to add some highlights and have a global light source defined.
Best of luck with it!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 PM

Thank you for the replies. I consider this painting a failure so itís not worth spending extra energy trying to salvage it. The kids like it, so it will end up in their room (who knows what they plan to do with it???). Iíll keep the advice in mind for the next one. Youíre both totally right. I need to put more thought into my painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Hi! I donít think you should consider this painting a failure! It has a lot going for it. I think the red at the bottom is a useful design element. It forces the viewers eye upward, keeping it in the picture. The birdsí silhouette is also not an issue in my opinion either. Often, when something small is lit from behind or is in the shadow and viewed from a distance, you really canít see any detail. It appears black. And your perspective is not bad on the building either! Itís not perfect, but itís not bad. The trees on either side also help the viewer to stay in the picture. The thing that is the most ďoffĒ to me is the value of the sky. In general, skies will always be the lightest thing in your landscape. Lighter than white buildings or reflections on water even. Your sky is quite a dark shade of blue- causing a lot of contrast between the clouds and sky. I think if you were to go in and lighten the sky considerably- squint and see if your building or sky is lighter- it should be the sky- you will see an improvement in the overall feeling! Well done and donít give up!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

I agree, this shouldnít be given up on. DFentrissArt, gave a good critique. Play with it a bit more.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Consider getting or making a brush with a fine point for small detailed work
Leave that fine work until you have established all of what was suggested above.
I am curious, what are the brown spire like things across the bottom of your work?
Keep at it.
Regards
Andrew
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM

The comment about the skyís value is spot on. Itís an excellent bit of advice that I need to commit to memory. The red structures on the bottom are construction site ironworks. They really are in the location I chose. I think theyíre going to be used to construct a foundation for a new fountain. And for some reason pigeons flock to this site like itís an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Thank you for the great responses.