WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
SE USA

Hails from United States
Wintry Evergreen

Here is my first attempt to paint a snowy scene.

This is the RIL image:

Now that's some snow! I decided to leave out the little it of building/house in the background, plus the birdfeeder pole in the foreground. I used light gray 9x12" construction paper and let it handle the sky, since it's quite overcast in this photo. I scumbled some darker grays and white in the foreground, and let the paper show through.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 11:55 AM

Re: Wintry Evergreen

I like this, but I don't think that it has an overcast feel. Looks more like the sun is out.

Ed
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Lovely!Great idea using a colored paper for this scene.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Terri,
I like the scene and you did a good job both with the tree and with the snow. I have several points of critique:
1. I agree that the drawing has a more sunny feel than an overcast feel. I think that in order to capture the cold, snowing feel you had to make everything grayer: the greens of the tree, the fence (you will notice that its color is very red), and also the snow. When you paint the snow as white there is a feeling that the sun is shining on it, whereas in the ref, the snow is a very light gray. I'd also perhaps rethink the color of the paper- the warm gray makes the scene feel a lot sunnier. The trees on the right side (the BG) are very well done, but the BG makes them stand out instead of blur into the snow. Also to get the snowy, cloudy feel, I'd use a lot of smudging and blurring.
Of course, the drawing itself it great and it stands by its own right, I think. I'm giving the critique because you added the ref photo so I imagine you wanted to capture the mood.
2. on the right side of the drawing there is a green rectangular shape which I don't really understand. It doesn't correspond with anything on the original photo and kinda stands out. I'd try and blur it out.

Good job and good luck!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Really lovely!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Hi Terri,

I like this alot. The color of the paper looks like a warm gray to me...or maybe it's the lighting you have on it. Either way, it reads warm...So it looks like a somewhat sunny winter day. As if the sun is starting to burn through a heavy cloud layer.

Perhaps that wasn't your intent, but I think the painting works very well that way. What makes it work is the you got the values just right. You have less saturated, cooler colors in the back and more saturated colors in the front. That main tree really comes forward and looks great!

Well done!

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
SE USA

Hails from United States

Hey all - thanks for the comments, Ed, Christel, Tali, jlombardi, Christel and Rich! I appreciate everyone taking a look.

Rich, you picked it off - I struggle with photographing some of my work. I'm using my cell phone and trying different white balance settings, which yield very different casts. Of the WB settings I tried, this was the overall best representation, but I do agree with the comments that the paper has gone warmer. I saw it, but couldn't really get around it with my limited skills working digital technology! (And it looked better than the greenish/blue tint other settings were giving - ugh!)

Tali, thanks for the detailed critique! On the right side, early on I decided to eliminate the background building and thought a couple of tall bushes might fill in some of the frame...and I grayed them over, then drew the right-side tree over them which grayed them even more. Looks like I made them unrecognizable in their final form. The white dashes of snow on the tree are intended as highlighting only, over lots of gray and blue-gray in the tree.

I am thinking now to avoid the issues inherent with white balance on a paper that could easily be incorrectly "warmed up" like it did here, a light blue or even white paper might have been a better choice. It reads cooler in person.

My intent was to make this an overall cool scene, with the only warm colors being from the fence and some added warmer greens in the tree. To be clear, I wasn't trying for a drop-dead reproduction of the photo - it's too monotone, almost B&W, so I wanted to brighten it up somewhat.

Thanks, all!

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 06:17 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States

Turned out great
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
SE USA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Karen!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:38 PM

Hails from United States

I love the deep green. Really lovely!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
SE USA

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, sonihal!