WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Merry Christmas, Perylene Green PBk31 & Pyrrole Red R254

Technical notes: The Christmassy image is of Dee-Dee Jonrowe racing down the Yukon in the Alaskan Iditarod race. The "green" and the "black" is the same paint, Perylene Green PBk 31, self-shading by glazing layers. The only other colour is PR254, universally available as Winsor Red. These two mix well for a deeper black, or if you want a black hole, mix Perylene "Green" with Dioxazine Purple PV23. All three are from Winsor & Newton's Professional Watercolor range. The trees were made with a Royal Softgrip synthetic filbert comb which I bought locally for €3 and the dogs, sled and musher were painted with a size 12 Kolinsky sable simply because I had it in my hand already. The paper was handmade and bound into a sketchbook in India, imported by a sister-company to The Diary Shop, is 100% cotton and came in a beautifully embossed leather cover I bought on Ebay.

If you want one search British Ebay for the Star Pilgrim refillable diary at The Diary Shop. I bought green and brown A5 covers which are handy for working at either a desk or en plein air, and the refillable sketchbooks from the same source give me choice of smooth or textured paper. The design carries from edge to edge across the spine, so I show the front of the green one and the back of the brown one. The covers are big enough to hold 9x6in sketchbooks like Fabriano's Venezia, but I like two of the three kinds of paper in The Diary Shop's A5 refill sketchbooks, the cartridge, which appears to contain cotton too and is sized and advertised to handle wet media (it does, very well), and the hard-sized cotton which is also fabulously versatile — but you have to ask for this one especially, or you get the standard cotton paper, which I'm sure, by analogy with the two I have, fulfills its brief admirably, but without wet media resistance because (at a guess) The Diary Shop's owner sketches in his, whereas the dry-est media I carry is a fountain pen with a water brush handy for shading.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Merry Christmas, Perylene Green PBk31 & Pyrrole Red R254

very nice drawing; will try those colors and maybe the diary.
looks like someone has finally found a use for perylene green

Edmund
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2017, 04:29 AM
Enthusiast

Lovely sketch book covers!
Perylene Green us such a great colour for darks when painting foliage.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmund ronald
looks like someone has finally found a use for perylene green

It was a conspiracy to keep the secret from us!

Seriously though, as Minerva C says, it's a very useful color in its own right, and a fabulous mixer too.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

Perylene green became my favourite green last year. I love the way it mixes with yellows. Yes, very useful for foliage!

I like your trees Andre.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett