WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 01:51 PM
st louis mo, usa

Hails from United States
Our First Road, crow quill pen and ink

Our First Road, crow quill pen and ink. The same road that had the Tombstone Angel in New Mexico
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Our First Road, crow quill pen and ink

Beautiful.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygackstatter

Our First Road, crow quill pen and ink. The same road that had the Tombstone Angel in New Mexico

Looks great - how big is it?

website ,instagram
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 11:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

I think it's a shame this place is so slow most of the time. This work deserves credit for what it is... breathtaking, in a word.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55
I think it's a shame this place is so slow most of the time. This work deserves credit for what it is... breathtaking, in a word.

one of the causes of slowness is too much subdivision in the forums. No one gonna look all channels that could have a drawing.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Beautiful play of light and shadows
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Amazing dark areas with crow quill pen and ink. Lots of depth.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Lord of the Arts

Although I cannot but help admiring your P&I skill in other drawings, to my eye you neglect all too often the basic, fundamental strength of the medium - which is LINE & DRAWING.
By neglecting line & drawing (which I know you do have the capability in abundance ! ) , to me you take on subjects which could be much better expressed in many other media better.
Sure you do very well for P&I but scraper board or wood engraving jumps to me immediately when I view work such as this.
The sheer power of P&I drawing is left behind , the very personal touch of the artist is abandoned & expression too.
Why ? - maybe because in your quest for subtlety in P&I you have thrown out the baby with the bath water !
Just one opinion anyway.
With respect
Mike
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 PM
st louis mo, usa

Hails from United States

I will no longer post on Wet Canvas.
Thank you.
g
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 12:18 AM
Lord of the Arts

I think an apology is in order. A strong opinion is fine, but that's a bridge too far, mate.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygackstatter
I will no longer post on Wet Canvas.
Thank you.
g

Oh Jeeze NO !
Hell Gary that is the very last thing I wanted to happen.- Honestly.
I have obviously offended you when my intention was to have a serious discussion with a fellow serious & grown up artist about our beloved medium.

The way I see the forum is a place to discuss P&I art openly & not get held back from doing so by sterile politeness or through fear of bruising egos.
A place to advance & progress all of our our understanding of art & P&I in particular - both technically & aesthetically & together.
Is that not the very value of this place ? - If we can't have such a conversation what is the point ? - a mutual "pat on the back" society ? - Sometimes that IS entirely a totally appropriate response of course but if that is all it is constantly , it loses any value it ever had to me.

Please don't go Gary - I will go if you like - immediately & without retort or regret because I do not want any part in a forum which can not offer or take critique as at least part of it's ethos.

Batman - How can I apologise when even after serious consideration I don't see any wrong I have done ?
It is perhaps a differing understanding of what the function of a forum is that has prompted your post.

Mike
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

I am new to this forum and mostly lurk, but feel the need to stick in my 2 cents here. I post things looking for constructive criticism. Pats on the back ore nice but I do not learn much. On the other hand, I was always taught there are no rules in art. When you start out there are, but once you understand them, you are free to break them, hence no rules. Mike seems to have a strong set of rules and applies them resulting in comments that sound harsh but I think are meant as constructive criticism to bring the work to his ideal.

Joe
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I think I am with Mike. I expressed a similar opinion recently, which I believe was in a 'respectful' manner and so I think is Mike's comment. If a critique or difference of opinion is expressed in a 'respectful' manner, then I think it ought not to be taken in negatively but as a conduit for learning and further conversation/discussion.
m2c

Rahul
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh dear, what fragile egos we have! While it's true the written word can be brutally final (even if we never meant it to be), surely the past record of any member's critiques is a measure of his/her abilities to offer a critique? The moderators in each Wet Canvas section rarely allow rude or offensive comments to stay up for long, and we agree that posted material is offered for opinions, praise and advice. I don't always agree with comments people make about my watercolours and pen and ink projects, but art is a very personal thing.Some like realism, some not.The beauty of Wet Canvas is the wide variety of work shown.
John
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Now for my take on this: spectacular sky and I'm mad with envy as my skies are invariably terrible and I avoid them whenever possible. The sky is everything here, but I would like to have seen some kind of texture on the road. Well done I say.
John