WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Gandalf

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gandalf
Year Created:
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
i started this in acrylics and overlaid the picture with water based oils

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
any comments welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: Gandalf

Good control of gray/earth tones. Good use of highlights on skin. I assume that the water-based oils were used primarily as glazing, in order to control the tonal relationships.

Possible improvement: The shadows on skin suggest that the light is coming from above and slightly behind the viewer. That would make the high forehead hair lighter, with prominent highlights.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 06:51 PM

thank you Pinquino. the soruce pic cuts the top of the head off but I see what you mean. i also feel that the hair at the edges should be lighter too as it is thinner. My issue is that i have always overused white in previous pics and i'm nervous about how to lighted it without it looking like white.

Im not sure what Glazing is but i used suppose the acrylic was more of an undercoat. i didnt plan it this way i just wanted the eyes to look glossy but as i liked the response and carried on.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 12:17 AM
western PA

Hails from United States

Glazing is the application of a thin transparent color generally over an other color. When oils first came out, the painters of that period used this method over a black and white under painting, that was usually done in tempera. I have done paintings in this manner using acrylics as the under painting.
I like this painting but, you might also add some highlight to the sword. In this case I would add the slightest touch of blue to the white.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 AM

Jules
thank you for your reply and for the link, what a wonderful resource you have created for people like me.

i tried to add some blue to the sword but it hasn't come out even when looking at the painting direct its a little lost . i feel the sword is bland too especially as it has a prominent position in the painting. i will try again as your feedback has given me confidence that i was on the right track.

have a great new year
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Hi Tim B. I think you made some nice temperature changes in his hair (warm to cool) which adds depth and a sense of real ness. You also did a nice job of capturing his likeness and expression. One spot that feels off for me is the forehead. On the right side it looks like his forehead extends outwards to the side further than his cheek. I can tell that itís probably what you were seeing in the photo, but some stuff just doesnít translate well. I had a teacher say; if it looks weird donít draw it, even if itís what you see. If this were my painting, I would have the vertical shadow above the right eyebrow angle towards the center of his forehead to better mirror the other side of his face.

I tried to show what I meant in a photo edit. Hope itís helpful. Good luck!
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:03 PM

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. The forehead has been troubling me and the edit you have made on the pic is very helpful. I've gone back to the original drawing and my shading is indeed off.

im on it and will repost when it is done.

ill also take another look at the sword to determine where and how i can give it some highlights. i'm more nervous of this as i'm not sure what my plan is.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 03:49 PM

Very good rendition of Gandalf. The grey of Gandalf the Grey comes through well. I look forward to your revision.

Perhaps more white highlights on the sword to lighten the tone.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 PM
western PA

Hails from United States

Tim, I feel that I wasn't quite clear about the blue. I meant to added it to the white before painting the highlight. I hardly ever use pure white when painting. I generally add a blue, or yellow or some other color. Always observe the temperature of the light source or reflected light.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 03:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Getting there.
Personally I think his hair and beard needs more life.
Check your reference to see what I mean
Regards
Andrew
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:46 AM

Thanks Jules and Andrew for your observations.
i am well beyond the limit of my ability here.
Jules - in highlighting the sword would you highlight the whole length of the sword or just a part of it?

Andrew - I agree with your point, i wanted to make the hair a little more wirey but i kept getting the effect shown in the pic. i have an idea to take the edges back so that the light shines through and maybe if i add a little yellow or sepia this will give a warmer type glow.

any advice on technique is appreciated.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

I agree with Jules, that the sword needs attention. I took the liberty of doing a quick Photoshop job. Increased the contrast, added pure white along the inside edge, blued the Midtones and darkened the darks. Hope this helps.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Iím just going to throw his out there- I prefer the sword with less contrast. The higher contrast sword pulls the focal point from Gandalfs face to the sword-almost. My eye isnít sure which to look at and settle on. In the original, the lower contrast sword just seems like an iron sword, rather than a silver one. I donít know which is accurate, but for the sake of the design, I donít care. My eye is happier looking at the original, even if the altered one is more accurate. Also, take into consideration the subject matter- Gandalf the Grey (right?). I think itís fitting for the sword to be less shiny and bright, and be more stoic, heavy, and grey. Either way, well done. 👍👍
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

There were 5 Istari (wizards) sent to Middle Earth, and their clothes had different colours. 2 blue, a brown one (Radagast the Brown), a white (Saruman) and a grey wizard, which was Gandalf. After the battle with the Balrog Gandalf returned to Middle Earth as Gandalf the White, he wears white clothes. He replaces Saruman. His Sword Glamdring was not dull, but bright and sharp.
Regards
Andrew
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 04:59 AM

That settles it then Gandalf needs a bright and shiny sword (dont we all)

the thing i noticed when looking at the photoshopped sword was a sense of depth in the pic. the blue also moves the image from having two colour pallets , one is natural colour and the other was grayscale. I didn't know how to address this (if indeed it needed to be addressed.

i am very grateful for all the contributions (and also very useful counter arguments) and i will set about doing something i have never done before and that is to change a finished painting. please bear with me as time is not on my side at the mo, but i will repost once i have made the changes.

My paintings so far have told the story of my learning each and every one having their own faults which later come to lite after i have learnt more stuff. its a record of my progress.

I feel this painting was way above anything i have achieved before and with the advice i have received here i can truly get a painting to show off.

happy new year