WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

New White Nights watercolours

Maybe this is old news but they are new to me. Nevskaya Palitra have made som changes concerning their watercolours.
The full pans are now in a new model and look more like other brands. Not as high any more.
The huge box is similar to the big W&N Cotman box but has one more row and can take 36 full pans. It measures 27 x 14 x 2.7 cm.

In the spring 2017 they started to produce 9 new colours. These colours make the range more complete. I am particularly happy with the Ultramarine Violet and because the old Violet is fugitive, and Sap Green because there was nothing similar in the range. I only managed to get 7 of the new colours. The ones missing are Quinacridone Red and Quinacridone Violet Rose.

Last edited by Minerva C : 12-22-2017 at 06:24 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: New White Nights watercolours

Hi Minerva. This set and the new colours look good.

Have seen the the White Nights paint before and they are made with honey, bright, lift easily with the brush and are very reasonably priced but I have resisted buying them because I had heard several colours were not lightfast even some that are lightfast in other brands.

Has this changed? Are they now lightfast? Jackson's in the UK have the 36 colour box at the same price as as many other 12 colour boxes and I have wanted to try them.

Please let us see your colour swatches and any lightfast tests you might do, I'd be interested.

PS. Have read you like the Daler Rowney watercolours. I have just bought my first palette of 12 and am looking forward to playing with them.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

Last edited by ic.Art : 12-22-2017 at 09:08 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

I can not say if these are lightfast but I did a lightfastness test of my old set. It was in a sunny window for 2.5 years. There was 3 summers. Most colours did great. There ate certain pigments that they use and that are bad. For example PY1 which is a yellow pigment. Hansa Yellow, Olive Green and Yellow Ochre contain this and fades or change colour.
Violet PV3 is bad. Indigo and Payne's Gray contain this but probably very little because they managed well. Violet turned Gray.
They have a three star rating system.
* Low lightfsstness. Fugitive. No reason to buy unless they are just used for fun.
** Medium lightfastness. Some fades more and some less.
*** High lightfastness. These did well in my test.
All the 9 new colours have three stars.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic.Art
PS. Have read you like the Daler Rowney watercolours. I have just bought my first palette of 12 and am looking forward to playing with them.

Daler Rowney Artist are lovely!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva C
Daler Rowney Artist are lovely!

Love them, too!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

double post
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Moscow

Hails from Russian Federation

Hello everyone!

Good news for those who use White Nights watercolour and other Nevskaya Palitra products. New colours in tubes have been promised to be available for internet stores outside Russia soon. They've improved their website a lot as well. There are even videos of workshops - in Russian but with subtitles in English. What I love most - if you click on "BRANDS" and then choose White Nights and then click on some colour - there'll be a video demonstrating this colour.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olga Sukonnikova
Hello everyone!

Good news for those who use White Nights watercolour and other Nevskaya Palitra products. New colours in tubes have been promised to be available for internet stores outside Russia soon. They've improved their website a lot as well. There are even videos of workshops - in Russian but with subtitles in English. What I love most - if you click on "BRANDS" and then choose White Nights and then click on some colour - there'll be a video demonstrating this colour.

That's really cool. It is different to see the colour applied on the paper and different to try to figure out how it will look like from a photo or a swatch.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Moscow

Right! Checked it. It works. The first video shows the paint being applied to wet paper and the second one - it being used in a painting!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Great videos. Thank you very much.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Ooh, nice! I'll add these to my potential list of watercolor reviews.

Lilian
theskyandthesea13.wordpress.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Moscow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva C
In the spring 2017 they started to produce 9 new colours. These colours make the range more complete. I am particularly happy with the Ultramarine Violet and because the old Violet is fugitive, and Sap Green because there was nothing similar in the range. I only managed to get 7 of the new colours. The ones missing are Quinacridone Red and Quinacridone Violet Rose.

Hi Minerva! Have you started using the new colours? Did you mix them with any other colours? And have you got the Quin red and Quin violet rose?

Maria, thank you. And I loved your Learning Journal!

Lilian, that's great!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 01:04 AM
Enthusiast

I have not had the time to use them. Just tried them a bit. No mixing yet. These are really transparent. Even the Venetian red. It is the nicest PY150 I have ever seen. I usually do not like that pigment but this works. The Quin Red and Quin Violet Rose are not available here and when seeing reviews it seems common that they are not available. I do not know why. A bit strange.