WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Beside a river in the middle...

Hails from United States
Molding Source of Supply

I am planning to start doing my own framing in the coming year because my usual frame supplier is discontinuing more and more of the styles I prefer. However, finding a source of supply for moldings has not been straightforward. Some examples of issues I've run across is pricing information not readily published and only selling to retail frame shops or other bulk buyers. A customer like myself who will buy maybe 100 odd feet of molding per year is not wanted. My search has not been terribly exhaustive yet but I thought if I could learn from the experience of others, why not. Anyone have any molding suppliers they like to work with?? My typical standby for years has been an espresso colored plein air style with a gold liner.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States
Re: Molding Source of Supply

This comes from the school of "give a man a fish -- he will eat for a day: Teach a man to fish -- he will always have food."

The streight-forward "modern" square stock is perfectly easy for a DYI with some woodworking experience, and a few power tools to do.

I think the whole idea with framing is that
1) It looks better to the gallery. More professional.
2) It is "ready to hang."

But it also adds a huge charge to the customer. I can see in some cases that they are actually buying the painting because they like the frame. Using the simplest frame you can find creates a situation where the picture is the center-focus and not the frame.

The frame you mention: espresso colored plein air style with a gold liner would actually be fairly easy to make.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Beside a river in the middle...

Hails from United States

Thanks Katy, but not quite the info I was looking for. About 99% of my sales are via galleries and I paint almost exclusively on wood panels so frames are somewhat necessary. Sometimes clients do request the piece unframed and my gallery reps know to give me a call and get the unframed price. My lead gallery has told me several times that many clients comment that my frames are very complementary to my work and it is rare someone asks for something else.

I have a very nice mitre saw and buying a joiner is not a problem. A little bit of experimentation with some cheap molding and I think I'll be able to make something just as nice as I have been buying and I can be in control of the timing and selection and avoid the frustration of placing the order only to have them call me the next day and tell me they don't have enough inventory to meet my order and oh btw that style is being discontinued. All I really need is a place willing to sell molding to someone who is not a retail frame shop.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Lord of the Arts

I responded to your post in General Art Business.

Maybe nothing there that will help, but that was all I could come up with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1439467
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWooldridge
Thanks Katy, but not quite the info I was looking for. About 99% of my sales are via galleries and I paint almost exclusively on wood panels so frames are somewhat necessary. Sometimes clients do request the piece unframed and my gallery reps know to give me a call and get the unframed price. My lead gallery has told me several times that many clients comment that my frames are very complementary to my work and it is rare someone asks for something else.

I have a very nice mitre saw and buying a joiner is not a problem. A little bit of experimentation with some cheap molding and I think I'll be able to make something just as nice as I have been buying and I can be in control of the timing and selection and avoid the frustration of placing the order only to have them call me the next day and tell me they don't have enough inventory to meet my order and oh btw that style is being discontinued. All I really need is a place willing to sell molding to someone who is not a retail frame shop.

It is okay.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 12-22-2017 at 08:05 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:52 AM

I was in the same situation a few years ago, so I bought a router table and cutters and now make all my own frames: https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog...lding_117.html the cutters are just what is available from my preferred cutter supplier, but hundreds of different style frames can be made by a combination of cutter profiles: http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/tren...Ap3NEALw_w cB

Mike
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 PM

Oak frame made with one of the router cutters from Wealdon Tools and lime washed, looks particularly good against the stone walls.

Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeJhn : 02-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2018, 04:18 AM
Florida, USA

Hails from United States

Finding a Frame moulding supplier can be difficult. Most distributors prefer to sell wholesale to Galleries and Picture framing shops. Making your own is possible, but time consuming. United Manufacturer supply in NY has a small assortment, but I don't remember whether they sell uncut lengths. I assume they will sell you some of theirs. I don't remember if they require a Tax Number.

Don Dattler
In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict