WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Beside a river in the middle...

Hails from United States
Making Your Own Frames

Does anyone here make their own frames? I am planning to start in the coming year because my usual frame supplier is discontinuing more and more of the styles I prefer. However, finding a source of supply for moldings has not been straightforward. Some examples of issues I've run across is pricing information not readily published and only desiring to sell bulk orders so a customer like myself who will buy maybe 100 feet of molding per year is not wanted. My search has not been terribly exhaustive yet but I thought if I could learn from the experience of others, why not. Anyone have any molding suppliers they like to work with??

I'm not 100% sure this is the best subforum for this but I couldn't really think of a better one. Apologies if there is a better place to post this.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Making Your Own Frames

Nope...not me!

Painting, marketing, exhibiting, and all the other things of life are complicated enough already. I'm looking for simplicity...don't need yet another complexity...! :-)

sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

You might try the "Studio Tips and Framing" section here. Knowing what styles of frames you favor would help.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil carter
Nope...not me!

Painting, marketing, exhibiting, and all the other things of life are complicated enough already. I'm looking for simplicity...don't need yet another complexity...! :-)

sling paint,
Virgil

Normally I'm right there with you Virgil! Simple is good. But when a fellow can't get what he wants...well, sometimes he just has to go an extra mile or two.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint
You might try the "Studio Tips and Framing" section here. Knowing what styles of frames you favor would help.

Thank you Quint, found it and it does look to be a much better place for this question.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

I have to travel 400 miles to get quality moulding but it is worth it when you can put together the equivalent of a $400 frame at the local frame shop for under $80.

You might ask around at the local frame shops to see if they would let you order a few lengths when they place a larger order. One framer here will sometimes give me good pricing on uncut moulding.

Another option is to check out wood shops that have the equipment to make moulding, particularly if you like clear finished hardwoods.

I am debating whether to get a new saw chop saw as my old one is pretty tired. I am leaning towards a Nobex rather than another power miter. I wish I could try one for a week first. A guillotine would be sweet but I haven't seen a used one for sale anywhere within driving distance for me for many years.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast
Savannah, GA

Hails from United States

At first I bought raw lumber from a lumberyard. Realizing how much time it was taking to cut and finish raw wood, I now do this...buy a few different moulding styles in bulk and cut and join them myself. I started a few years ago by asking a small local frame shop if they'd order a "box" of uncut for me...they were more than happy to since their distributor likes when they buy. After a few orders there, I found a wholesale distributor a few miles up the road (I'm in Savannah GA) who was happy to order (at a better price) for me. Usually they want to deal with a box at a time though, for my floater mouldings that is usually 12, 8 foot sections.
It's made my art life much easier in the sense that I can make a frame in a day, to my spec, anytime I need/want to, for a lot less than ordering a complete frame and waiting. And, having all my worked framed when I show it has increased sales...so win all around.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thanks Contumacious and Stephen! I work with two galleries who are also frameshops. My main gallery is aware of my intent to make my own frames and I did think about asking them for molding. So if I can't find another source, I will do that.

I was fortunate to find a big compound miter saw a few years back that I got for $100. I plan to change out the blade with a new one with finer teeth and I'll need to get a joiner. I can fairly easily swing buying those box type quantities especially after prove to myself I can produce the finished product.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Another option is to hire someone to make molding. For designs that aren't overly complex a router can make short work of it. So many garage wood workers,etc. Ask in wood worker supply shops etc., craigs list, schools, one lead will lead to another. Offer to pay cost of wood, plus $X per foot. You could create a simple but "unique" design.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 08:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

I've had good luck in distressing old framed that have nicks or mars on them. Sanding the finish makes them into very popular farmhouse type frames, which is all the rage now.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 AM
A Local Legend
Denmark Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I use a morso guillotine to cut mitres. A really old framing machine I purchased about 25 years ago. It cuts perfect mitres providing the blades are sharpened occasionally. Used in conjunction with an underpinner, framing becomes a reasonably quick process for me.

The underpinner leaves no visible joining due the the ''V'' nails entering from underneath.

Years ago, sales reps would visit me with suitcases full of corner samples & with certain mouldings on special discount - Discounts are always available for orders over 30meters with most moulding companies here in Australia. The reps no longer visit me as I now order directly from their companies websites.

I generally choose timber moudings but If I want a gold or silver frame I use synthetic mouldings as they are much cheaper than timber & they don't scratch or damage easily. Synthetics share the same properties as timber regarding cutting & joining except a different glue is required.

Hope that Helps.

Michael

'EARTH' without 'ART' is just 'EH'!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondheim12
I've had good luck in distressing old framed that have nicks or mars on them. Sanding the finish makes them into very popular farmhouse type frames, which is all the rage now.

I will definitely look into this! I'm not entirely sure I know what the farmhouse style is but I will learn. I have several with some nasty bumps that I would like to put to good use.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesrus1
I use a morso guillotine to cut mitres. A really old framing machine I purchased about 25 years ago. It cuts perfect mitres providing the blades are sharpened occasionally. Used in conjunction with an underpinner, framing becomes a reasonably quick process for me.

The underpinner leaves no visible joining due the the ''V'' nails entering from underneath.

Years ago, sales reps would visit me with suitcases full of corner samples & with certain mouldings on special discount - Discounts are always available for orders over 30meters with most moulding companies here in Australia. The reps no longer visit me as I now order directly from their companies websites.

I generally choose timber moudings but If I want a gold or silver frame I use synthetic mouldings as they are much cheaper than timber & they don't scratch or damage easily. Synthetics share the same properties as timber regarding cutting & joining except a different glue is required.

Hope that Helps.

Michael

Thanks Michael! Great info! I have finally gotten a moulding supplier who also does complete frames to get back with me so maybe their prices will be something I can work with.