WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 AM

Question Internet Advertising

Hi!

I posted this query in the General Forum but I still need help!

To sell my artwork (math-based acrylic paintings and giclee prints), I already set up (1) a website, (2) an Etsy shop, and (3) a YouTube channel. My website links to my Etsy shop. And, my YouTube channel links to my website.

The next step is to promote the website/Etsy shop. I am considering either (1) advertising the shop within Etzy or (2) advertising the channel within YouTube.

Have any of you done either one? Or do you have any other suggestions? Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Doctor T
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Internet Advertising

The only direct online advertising I've done is to use Google Adwords. My hosting service gave me a coupon that would match my purchase up to $50 - basically half off.

So I carefully checked out what keywords I wanted to use and turned it on. Within about a week it was gone and no sales. All that has to happen is for the person to click in the ad of course. The more focused/precise the keyword the more expensive they were.

Since I didn't get any sakes I have no idea how much I would need to spend in this manner per dollar if revenue but the math very quickly didn't add up for me, never ventured back into the direct advertising realm.

Regards,
Dale
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitsOfNature
... Google Adwords ... no sales ...
Dear Dale,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried Google Adwods in the past for a different product. I found out that, unless (1) there is NO competition or (2) the product is highly demanded, or (3) the product yields very high profit $, Adwords is not effective/efficient.

Doctor T
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Okay, just speaking from my gut without any data or experience to back it up --
It seems to me finding someone to buy your art thru advertising on the web is the longest of long shots. The tiny ad budget most of us have would make less impact than a grain of sand has on the beach. And not sure that many people buy art based on advertisements anyway.

It seems what best works for artists is word of mouth(or I should say word of post) getting some level of viral attention. How exactly you do that is the big question. Many have tried, few have succeeded. Blogging, youtubes, forums, facebook, instagram etc. are all fishing lures you can put out and see what bites.

Lately I'm thinking - "what can I do in the real world that could bounce back to the digital world and make some impact."

An example. A few years back during the bank-made Depression, there was an L.A. based artist that set up easel and did plein-aire paintings in front of banks - but painting them on fire. He didn't do anything other than paint in front of a bank. He had no agenda other than making a painting. But people saw him and there was such outrage at the time that it got picked up by the local paper, and then the national news, and then all over the web -- and he sold A LOT of paintings and became established.

I truly believe if he had sat at home, made the bank painting and then posted it to the web, it would have been drowned. So in my mind "viral" is the key, but don't forget about the real world as a way to get there.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
... Blogging, youtubes, forums, facebook, instagram etc. ...
Dear Bongolian,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree 100%. Nonetheless, I have to do "something". I am planning to (very slowly) do some writing about the relationship between art and math (w/ links to my website/shop), participate in forums, do something w/ YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Doctor T