WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada
Question Any tips for keeping Casein palette active?

I've used gouache to a limited degree and love the fact that it can be re-activated on the palette, and yet not so keen about that same ability on the actual painting. I have some Casein paint coming for Christmas and believe I am now going to have the exact OPPOSITE qualities to deal with. Does any casein user have some tips or advice as to how careful one has to be to keep the paint useable on the palette?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Any tips for keeping Casein palette active?

I haven't used casein all that much but do really like it. I've used gouache much more so I can compare a little bit.

I've kept casein on my StaWet palette for quite a long time - maybe a couple of weeks before it became unusable. I don't use the StaWet brand sponge but one that I picked up at the Dollar Store that's very similar. (I also use a generic paper palette on top). The sponge is only slightly damp and the paints are misted before storing. If I don't plan to paint for a few days, I also go back and mist the paints as needed. Adding a tiny bit of casein medium also really helps keep the paints usable.

As far as reactivation goes, the casein on your painting can be reactivated if they aren't completely dry but it's much less so than gouache. How much will depend on how dry the painting is.

I think you'll enjoy the new Casein paints but like any medium, there's a learning curve and you'll have to practice to find your way of best working with them.

Looking forward to seeing any painting you do with them and hearing how you like them! Have fun!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Thanks, that helps. Yes, I'm looking forward to trying them also. We'll just have to see about posting the results here!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

You might see if you can get James Gurney's Dvd or download of "Casein Painting in the Wild". He makes the point that Caseins are useful in different ways as they dry. Actually if you go to his blog and click on Caseins, he has several short clips on how to use them.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com

I lay out my caseins on a wet paper towel and spritz them occasionally to delay the drying process. They can get too wet as well as too dry. I do not try to retain them overnight. I lay out fresh paint in moderate amounts each time I paint.

Gary
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Gary. I'm familiar with the wonderful work of James Gurney and will have to revisit his casein videos.

Glenn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Stay Wet palette has proven very effective. Using distilled water helps prevent mold from growing. I must with water and ammonia mixed in when stopping work and closing up the palette at the end of the day.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States

What proportion of water to ammonia do you use for misting, Chuck?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 AM
Southern California

Hails from United States

I think it was 9:1.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for that - the one thing I hate most about using casein (or acrylic) is the paint waste. It's so hard to judge exactly how much you need.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

I like to look on the bright side. I don't intentionally waste paint, but if I do then buying new tubes of casein will help to keep the production alive