WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 PM

made a book featuring my art do I include years for artworks

I am currently making a book in Blurb to upload and print. It was suggested to me to include some labels for my artworks on the pages, like a title, medium etc.

The thing is, I have not actually painted in a long time, been back at university doing alot of general ed classes. This and family stuff has left me little time to paint or do much any art, have kind of lost my mojo in art so to speak, that another story.

Anyway, I was told to make a book with some of my art in it, and alot of it is older, I mean from high school and from the time after. I don't have anything recent right now, so it is all I have.

Would it be best for me to leave off any date description or year in the titles for each artwork on the pages?

I have read that it is bad to show older stuff and it is best to have only new stuff.

This book is mainly going to be for friends and family but could be shown to others too.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: made a book featuring my art do I include years for artworks

No reason to add the year painted. I use title, size, medium, paper type (I paint in watercolor), and a brief description of my intent for the painting, to aid in understanding the work.

Good luck with your book. I did a Blurp book a number of years ago and they do a good job.

sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

your book, your rules

I don't date my work any more and haven't for years

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

When I look at reproduced art, I want to know the size or at least the approximate size.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

If the book is for family and friends do whatever you wish. If there is a chance that the book will double as a portfolio then you should concern yourself with professional guidelines. The year created is not really important unless you are specifically requested by an art director or gallery owner to show your latest work. Do worry about the quality and consistency of your work. It would serve you better to have ten quality and consistent pieces instead of twenty five chronological pieces.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

What artbymdp said! Much better to have a portfolio of work which all hangs together and looks of a unified personal approach to painting, than to have a gathering of paintings of every subject under the sun, executed in every conceivable approach to painting...which makes it appear you can't decide what to paint or how...!

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Thank you all, yes, it is a mixture of subjects and media, but I thought it would be a good sampler of my stuff.

Also, I realize now, that the year was painted on many of the paintings themselves along with my signature, so I don’t really need to type in the year, so I think I will leave that off.

However, in some of the photos of them, the year and or signature was partially cut off or something in the layout of the my book in the blurb app, should I go in on those and just crop it out altogether?

If I did that, there would be some art with my name and year, and others with it cropped out.

Or I could just go in and crop around alll edges of all the artworks so my signature and year is not showing? That also might cut off other parts of the images on some

Do partial year and signatures showing matter? Should I try to edit them? Or just leave them?

Last edited by Sossity : 12-13-2017 at 04:43 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 05:48 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

In a publication, consistency is probably very important--not only the quality of the work, but also how it's presented in photos. After all, it's a book and not an actual gallery of paintings!

So...I'd crop and do whatever is needed for the photos of the artwork to be consistent in the book. If an inch or so is cropped off a particular photo of a painting so what?

The goal, IMO, is for the book to look like consistently high quality!

Good luck,

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

To continue the thoughts of virgil carter, the book should be enjoyable to view on its own. Think of the book as a work of art unto itself. Cropping is absolutely recommended ( we are talking photos and not originals, right?) Also consider close up enlarged details of your technique and featured subjects.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 PM

So that is a vote to try crop out the dates in the images of my artwork? yes, I am talking about photos of my artwork printed on book pages, not the original artworks.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I think all of the advice would be good for friends and family, but if you intend to use the book as a sales pitch for galleries, I think they would want to know what you are doing now rather than what you did in the past.