WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Using my first name, as in the one I have here, or use my middle name for marketing

Greetings all, it has been a while, been busy with university hope all are doing ok.

Have been thinking about what name to use for my personal brand and marketing of myself in general and art. I have read how this is important today, and one has to carefully choose their name for this, with that said, here is my dilemma.

Been talking with my family about my first name Sossity, and we have observed that when I meet people and give them my name, they find it interesting.

But I have also found that many forget it, or have trouble pronouncing it, when they meet me again, and when they type it out or write it out, they misspell it.

I read that this is not what one wants when they are trying to establish a personal brand for themselves and market themselves. It is one of the things I read is to not use a name that that is hard to remember, pronounce or spell.

On the other hand, I read that having a unique name is good for making oneself stand out, in this respect my first name fits that bill.

Family have suggested I go by middle name of Caroline instead, and that my first name is too much of a mouthful for most people.

Does anybody on here have any thoughts on this?

I have gone by Sossity all my life, all my emails and online accounts are set up with Sossity Corby. It would be a big hassle to change everything now.

I have set up multiple google accounts in variations of my fist middle and last name in case I do make any changes.

I have even gone and changed my wordpress blog address from sossitycorby to sossityccorby, to include my middle initial incase I use my middle name in some places or meeting in person, so people see the middle letter and know it can be for Caroline.

I figured maybe I would just go with Sossity C Corby across things, for now, that way if I refer to myself as either Sossity or Caroline or carol, they will see the initial and see I have the other name too.

Last edited by Sossity : 12-11-2017 at 05:05 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Using my first name, as in the one I have here, or use my middle name for marketing

Are there other Caroline Corby's on the net? That would be a key thing for me. I have an advantage that my last name is fairly unique, so as long as someone remembers how to spell it they'll find me. An artist with a very common name might get lost in search results. So I'd say go with Sossity.

Regards,
Dale
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Using my first name, as in the one I have here, or use my middle name for marketing

"Caroline Corby" is nice. Alliteration. Personally, I changed my last name because it was too hard for people to spell. Not about being a brand but just got sick of being asked how to spell it or people spelling it wrong.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 PM

my brush name is bONGO. and I am known professionally as bONGO. Unfortunately there is apparently an animal in africa that is also named bONGO. But there is always going to be someone or something with your name. Google your name and see what your competition is. I think Sossity would be good, but then again I'm an animal in africa so what do i know...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I personally think you should go with the name that is "authentically you." I have a middle name too, and no one ever calls me that. It is a nice enough name, but if someone were to call me that, I would feel that they were speaking to a different person, not the real me.

I also am totally against changing names so that they are easier to spell or remember. In the past (as in Hollywood), the actors who had ethnic names would change them to mundane anglo names, so that Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez became "Martin Sheen." Not his authentic name at all, and not reflexive of his history or heritage.

I like Sossity. The only spelling error I could see was that people would spell "sity" as "city." I have a name that I have to spell out to people all the time because there are several correct ways to spell it. That's life. If people were to look me up on-line there is a one in 5 chance of them spelling it wrong at first. I don't really obsess over things like that.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 12-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:26 AM
Dayton, OH, US

Hails from United States

I think Use Her Name has a really good point: to go with what is "authentically you."

Other thoughts - could you start out with Sossity C. Corby and as you get more well known, shorten it to Sossity?

Another consideration: You wrote
Quote:
...having a unique name is good for making oneself stand out
While that's true, what about letting your art "stand out" for you, meaning the name is much less important?

I'm torn between using Sossity C. Corby and simply "Sossity." I like them both.

Leaning toward just "Sossity."
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Sossity is such a unique and poetic sounding name but most importantly it is you. It actually is the type of name I can imagine an artist using as a pseudonym. Like art, you can only be who you are and not worry what other people think or remember. I personally cannot get the name out of my head. Good luck with your art Sossity.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I personally think you should go with the name that is "authentically you."
Ms. U.H. Name suggests you use your authentic name?
Quote:
I also am totally against changing names so that they are easier to spell or remember
Really Ms.Name? Why would you be against that?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Ms. U.H. Name suggests you use your authentic name?

Really Ms.Name? Why would you be against that?

Just because I am. It was an "opinion," I am not trying to run for office here.

Making art since 1973-ish.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
Just because I am. It was an "opinion," I am not trying to run for office here.
Use her Name, - I was trying to point out the irony that someone using the handle "use her name" would advise others to use their name, and not to use an alias.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Use her Name, - I was trying to point out the irony that someone using the handle "use her name" would advise others to use their name, and not to use an alias.

Yes. It is ironic that a forum name is not the actual name of the person who is behind it. I do not sign my work "Use Her Name" though. I sign my work with my actual name.

Making art since 1973-ish.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 01:35 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

What name to use...?

Well...I guess any name you can remember and spell, except...

My name! I got it first.

Sling paint,
virgil
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

A unique name is definitely a plus in my book. Do a Google search for "Smith art" or "Jones art" -- good luck standing out in that crowd. But if you search for "Hoopingarner Art" all of the images returned and the top four results are related to me. Even "Dale floral art" I get one page in the results. Any Bill's or Tom's aren't going to have success in that way. Yes, searchers do need to be able to spell my name but then I'm found and stick out from the crowd!

Regards,
Dale