WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States
NYC

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: NYC
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 18x24Ē
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Day 1

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I take the critiques very seriously and as often as not I incorporate the suggestions into the piece. Thatís the reason I do these progressions - so I can consider the input Iím getting before I get too far along. The plan here is to do a night-time winter scene.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: NYC

perhaps an unnaturally strong lean to the lower two trees, depending on how that pans out i might be tempted to topple one of them onto the ice/snow/water/whatever.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Day two - blocking in to check perspective and colors, not concerned with values yet
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Did a bit more this afternoon. Has to dry a few days now before I can get back to it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Day 3: too wet to really work on, added some fussy details where I could easily reach. Detail:
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 01:16 AM
Sacramento

Hails from United States

This is coming along very nicely. I particularly like the reflections in the water.
I'm wondering about the perspective on the bridge. Since we are able to see the underside of the bridge on the right, we must be standing to the left - not looking at the bridge straight on. So it seems that the left and right sides of the top of the bridge should not be at the same height as they go off the page. I think the left side needs to look like it's farther away. Maybe you plan to do that with value and temperature at a later stage?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Just thought Iíd post a quick update. Havenít made much progress with all the holiday activities, plus itís still pretty soggy. I adjusted some of the values slightly, long way to go. I donít expect Iíll get back to this until after Christmas.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM
western PA

Hails from United States

So far so good. Nice painting. It seems to me though, that the reflection of the bridge, especially on the right side is a bit strong. I'll be waiting to see more.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Hails from Canada

I think even from the low angle of view you would see more of the reflection of the underside of the bridge.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Grabbing a few minutes here and there when I can, to work on this. Next is lighting up quite a few of the windows and adding a large, tall tree in foreground on left side (straightened up considerably, per La's suggestion). Did I mention I now dislike painting windows?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 04:49 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Architecture can be complex. I like what you have going on in the foreground, however there is some major perspective issues going on right now which I suggest you fix. Recheck your vanishing points and straighten out the verticals too. The buildings are leaning unnaturally, and this is usually caused by "converging verticals" or the bending of light by the camera lens on the ref photo that I presume your working from.
Other than that, seem like its solid. Happy painting
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

I agree, work to be done on the perspective of the windows, but the verticals are an illusion. I had the same thoughts as you but have checked and rechecked the vertices with a T-square, they are dead on. Whatís causing the illusion are the windows, mostly in the lower half of the darker building in the center. A lot of this will get covered with tree branches and the rest Iíll correct. I donít have the patience, and I do not find it rewarding painting like this. My last painting with a bazillion windows. I wonder why we tend to ignore vertical vanishing points? They exist but to paint them looks unnatural. In reality, having parallel vertical lines is wrong, they should converge, but if we do it, it looks awful.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Progressing slowly, trees should dry overnight, then I can add the snow to the branches. Still needs a few values adjusted.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Progressing slowly, trees should dry overnight, then I can add the snow to the branches. Still needs a few values adjusted.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 04:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

superduper subtle suggestion to let the shore sneak gently under and through the bottom left side of the bridge like this

congrats on getting through the tedium of all.those.windows, holy smokes

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek