WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Spanbroek (The Netherlands)

Hails from Netherlands
Still untitled, hellebore

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still untitled, hellebore
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 50x70cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
All comments welcome, I did notice the color is a bit difficult to get right on the photo (right monitor is good, left monitor is poor... if it looks too brown please ignore the color)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback welcome, whatever comes to mind
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Re: Still untitled, hellebore

I think this is a good effort overall. I quite like the visual interest and shape language going on with the leaves. I feel your trying to tell a story in here, perhaps about new life and growth. I see elements such as the egg shell and flower among the decay and frost so I am presuming that's what you had in mind. Nice concept overall.

However I feel the piece is lacking in places too. Your composition is haphazard with many competing details and lines of action that are leading the eye everywhere, but not everywhere in a flow. Its too busy and there are no quiet areas. The flower in competing with the egg shell, and I feel it would be stronger if the flower was open and facing towards the viewer.

Your approach to materials is not quite there yet. Everything feels the same. Perhaps spend some more time to separate out the main elements. The frost could do with more impact as light catches it. Its too dull.
I think a strong value statement will help with the storytelling. Push your values more. I think your colours are OK. It would be more beneficial to push those values as I mentioned, although a bit more reds and oranges with a push for some blue in the shadow when you get the values sorted will help bump the impact.

Overall, I don't think these things are beyond you, you seem to have the technically ability to pull it off. Hope this helps and best of luck. Happy painting!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States

I love this. So much to look at. Great job. I like the monochromatic feel with the splash of color. I like that my eyes jump from here to there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Spanbroek (The Netherlands)

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you both for your comments! It's of great help!

For the composition, I have made some changes to the positioning of the leaves, but chose to change as little as possible as I wanted to leave it as natural as possible, inviting the viewer to start looking between the leaves. I decided that also had to be the title , 'Between the leaves'

For a next painting I will check if I can do more with the values though! Happy painting to you too!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2017, 09:37 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

This is perfect! I like the bugs hanging out on the leaves.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Tacoma, Washington

Hails from United States

I really love this painting. It's so realistic and then you've put so many subtle treasures into it that it's like reading a good book, sort of. I love the little snails and the ladybug. Everything is so realistically painted, too.