WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Card Printing

Greetings,

I am a amature artist. I send out watercolor Christmas cards every year. Every year I have people ask me if I sell them. I really donít have the capacity to make hand made cards in bulk for people to buy. I was thinking of selling a few printed sets on Etsy every Fall for those who have asked me about it. I have an Epson bed scanner and I am staring to feel cofindent in my digital editing skills.

Also, this would help me dip my toe into to the business side of things and hopefully help me decide if this is worth pursuing extensively. I have been researching online print shops art quality cards prints seem prohibively expensive. I donít see people wanting to spend much more than $20 per a 10 pack of cards. But, I donít like how discount photo print shops put their logo on the back. Does anyone have any recommendations for card printing?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Card Printing

I have used a digital printing service to print Christmas cards, otherwise, I inkjet print them for my own purposes.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

It also depends on how many cards you plan to make. I don't do the bulk cheap cards but rather the $4 to $5 card I print myself with envelop in clearbag. 5" x 7" in size. These I use myself and sell locally to anyone or shops that want to carry them. Special cards as these are of my own photos or repros of family artwork. My Epson printer and Photoshop Elements make it easy.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

If you do go ahead, I would suggest testing the market with handmade designs. You can try selling them at art fairs and artisan stores. If these sell at a consistent pace, then you may consider wholesale printing of your cards ( or you may want to continue the handmade option. Who knows?) Approach with eyes wide open otherwise you may find your closet filled with boxes of unsold cards.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

If you do go ahead, I would suggest testing the market with handmade designs. You can try selling them at art fairs and artisan stores. If these sell at a consistent pace, then you may consider wholesale printing of your cards ( or you may want to continue the handmade option. Who knows?) Approach with eyes wide open otherwise you may find your closet filled with boxes of unsold cards.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 05:43 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Lots of places to have professional 4X6 and 5X7 cards printed with matching size envelopes. Check your local printers or go online and do a search. There are many professional sites on the Internet who also do fine work.

I just had 100 5X7 folded cards and 100 envelopes printed locally for $65. Good quality at a hard-to-beat price!

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Virgil, I just went to your store. You have some fine paintings there. In fact I want to buy the original(the one in the middle) that you have so generously offered for $1. But there doesn't appear to be a way to place the order?

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Thanks, the...it's a good head's up! I'll make the change to match the others adjacent.

Wanna settle for a print? Bargain prices for the holidays...

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil carter
Thanks, the...it's a good head's up! I'll make the change to match the others adjacent.

Wanna settle for a print? Bargain prices for the holidays...

Sling paint,
Virgil

Sorry, I had my heart set on the original. But you might address the bigger issue - there is no way I can see to order an original on your site.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

TheBongolian, what one has to do on FAA for purchasing originals is to contact the artist.

This was going to be my entry in the 2018 Texas Watercolor Annual juried show. The price for the original is the same as the other two similar sized paintings, $1,080 USD unframed, plus shipping.

Thank you for your interest, my friend!

sling paint,
Virgil
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2017, 08:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I am so old a fogey that I would consider silkscreen, or woodblock with a nice thick card stock. I believe you can get packs of blank cards made of good quality paper, and matching envelopes at hobby lobby.

That would make it more of an art quality card, rather than a mass-produced item.

Small press work is fascinating, and would support your hobby.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful responses!