WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Lake Superior Surf'n turf

Just finishing up my afternoon study, 5"x 7" oil...Lake Superior surf'n turf and sharing a little on process and setup...

the closeup shows my brushwork handling for this, cradling the brush its a discipline of three to four strokes of paint, go and get more, and if you've seen my brushwork exercise on YouTube with the spent tube of Naples Yellow as a subject, or have taken my Alla Prima Bootcamp course with Artist Network University you are familiar with this discipline and aim of the essential and of control.

Note my palette on the stepped back pic as well as how this painting translates stepping back. My palette is orderly, and as typical...I set out with no more than about three values for any color. In cleaning up, I scraped the paint off and set it up on the paint shelf second from left top...and will often use that as a neutral to drive the next painting.

The last painting shows literally how I have been painting now for quite a few years, intentional calculated brushwork, one spot of color next to another. I try to forget the "what" of what I am painting, and squint my eyes...just see shape, color/value and put it down...that is, painting the color of light.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States
Re: Lake Superior Surf'n turf

Wonderful! I appreciate your approach and mental discipline. I find it fascinating how simple it is but yet requires calculated and trained approach to achieve. This is not easy to get your mind out of the way and simply just put values together to achieve the bigger picture. I'm slowing getting there with my own work, but man it takes time and practice..and this quote by Monet to me hits right at home -> "To see, we must forget the name of the thing we are looking at"

Wonderful works Larry. How often do you pause and stand back to make sure it's all working?

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizes
Wonderful! I appreciate your approach and mental discipline. I find it fascinating how simple it is but yet requires calculated and trained approach to achieve. This is not easy to get your mind out of the way and simply just put values together to achieve the bigger picture. I'm slowing getting there with my own work, but man it takes time and practice..and this quote by Monet to me hits right at home -> "To see, we must forget the name of the thing we are looking at"

Wonderful works Larry. How often do you pause and stand back to make sure it's all working?

painting outdoors on location and larger linen, it requires a bit more to step back...but at this size, just leaning back and squinting works...hahaha...

One thing I am doing more and more is adopting a twist on something Robert Henri used to do to his New York Student Art League students. He would have them paint at easel on the upper fourth floor, and the seated model on the first floor. The painters would have to run up and down studying and committing to memory what was important. It helps foment the sense that paintings work for reasons paintings work, and there are strong foundational principles to know as Edgar Payne taught. Once committed, those foundations work as intuition and gut hunch.

So...outdoors this means turning my pochade paintbox more away from the subject, my back perhaps at the subject where my focus is on the painting, the brushwork and color. Turning...to stand and study, then turning to paint.

At events of course, it is more guerrilla tactics to painting in competition so less pressing of such things, more just direct get 'er done methods.

thanks appreciate the question and comments...

Oh..and there are some wonderful quotes from past masters, I like yours of Monet...and then Degas who said, "painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast
salt lick kentucky

Hails from United States

Wonderful brush work
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc8
Wonderful brush work

Thank you
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Germany / Bavarian

Hails from Germany

Very nice play of colours and class technique!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnstG
Very nice play of colours and class technique!

Ernst

Thank you
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Norddeutschland

Hails from Germany

Wonderful painting!

Joachim
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoL56
Wonderful painting!

Joachim

Thank you
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Portland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
One thing I am doing more and more is adopting a twist on something Robert Henri used to do to his New York Student Art League students. He would have them paint at easel on the upper fourth floor, and the seated model on the first floor. The painters would have to run up and down studying and committing to memory what was important. It helps foment the sense that paintings work for reasons paintings work, and there are strong foundational principles to know as Edgar Payne taught. Once committed, those foundations work as intuition and gut hunch.

So...outdoors this means turning my pochade paintbox more away from the subject, my back perhaps at the subject where my focus is on the painting, the brushwork and color. Turning...to stand and study, then turning to paint.

That's a great exercise...literally!! I like how you adopt that for plein air work.

My Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/richarriagada/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:06 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Beautifully done, Larry! It always amazes me how much more "real" a painting looks when it's done with separate strokes of color than when all of those edges are meticulously blended. I need to remind my inner critic that it's ok if it looks a little messy up close and that it's how it looks from a distance that matters.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T
Beautifully done, Larry! It always amazes me how much more "real" a painting looks when it's done with separate strokes of color than when all of those edges are meticulously blended. I need to remind my inner critic that it's ok if it looks a little messy up close and that it's how it looks from a distance that matters.

thanks Donna...I think of trees in your description..."time" and that which exists in time exists in a state of constant transition. When we meticulously paint every detail...we paint a moment that is frozen, though the world about us is not frozen.

We can't help but work more on specific focal points...but we enhance the feeling of realism when also the truth of "time in transition" is one of the elements introduced into our painting.

Allowing peripheral things growing distance from the main focal point helps immensely bringing a sense of "air" or atmosphere and space which while form might be more painterly...that sense of transition in the spaces allowed leaves us with an impression of having touch more realism represented...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 PM
A Local Legend
Denmark Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Lovely palette control & interesting patterns of light values which effectively mimic the 'sparkle' of moving water - Very Nice !

Michael

'EARTH' without 'ART' is just 'EH'!!!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesrus1
Lovely palette control & interesting patterns of light values which effectively mimic the 'sparkle' of moving water - Very Nice !

Michael

Thanks, Michael