WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Richeson Gessied Hardboard Cradled

I bought one of these a long time ago but finally cracked it open today to try it with acrylics with little success. The paint didn't adhere to the surface and left spaces. It was a little better if I used it more thickly but I found it pretty hard to paint on, so, I just gessoed over it hoping that it would give it a bit of tooth so the paint would adhere.

I'm a novice with acrylics using Golden open mainly and a couple of M. Grahams but maybe it required a different type of acrylic Anyone had success with this, and how... thanks

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm...&Source=Search
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States
Re: Richeson Gessied Hardboard Cradled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribblet
The paint didn't adhere to the surface and left spaces. It was a little better if I used it more thickly but I found it pretty hard to paint on,

Sanity check: do you typically use lots and lots of water when you paint acrylics, thereby diluting your acrylic medium? If you don't have enough binder actually getting on your canvas, it's not going to stick. Even if you have done that on other canvases, and had seeming success, your work could be at risk of delaminating due to insufficient binder. You should not be going "spendy" on your use of water.

When using thicker paint you found it "hard to paint on". Does that mean it stuck fine, but you weren't getting much coverage because of the springiness of the board and brush against each other? I haven't really worked much on any kind of smooth panels yet. It's an issue I've read about with respect to Aluminum Composite Material panels such as Dibond. The advice seems to be, "be patient" and expect to build up layers. Maybe one would also need to develop a lighter touch. Some people use different brushes, like soft "watercolory" brushes instead of springy bristle brushes.

I tried using "smooth rubber tip" brushes once, because my Mom had a bunch of extra ones, that she never actually used for ceramics work. They didn't prove terribly useful to me as a painter. Hard, smooth surfaces tend to push paint out of the way when they come in contact with each other. That's fine if you actually want to subtract some paint you just put on, but otherwise is an annoying misfeature. Maybe that's the problem you're having: "surfaces that are too rigid coming in contact with each other."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

No not a lot of water, I did use some water at first then tried without water or medium which was not much better. As you say, it did subtract rather than add on.

I'm wondering who uses these and why, what effect are they looking for?

Yesterday I gessoed over it, so when I get a chance I'll have a go over the gesso. I won't be buying anymore of these panels.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

I think the panel was contaminated. How was it packaged?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'm wondering who uses these and why, what effect are they looking for?

The effect of a rigid support that lasts far longer, archivally speaking, than a flexible canvas. The stresses a stretched canvas undergoes, are pretty much a disaster over the long haul.

I thought about contamination as well, but it is difficult to tell from your description if the product is defective, or if it just feels "super weird" to you and you don't like it.

Sanity check: was this primed with an acrylic dispersion ground? You didn't accidentally grab something with an oil based ground and try to do an acrylic painting on it? That wouldn't work.

Quote:
I'm a novice with acrylics using Golden open mainly and a couple of M. Grahams but maybe it required a different type of acrylic

I have little to no experience with using open acrylics, although I do own a pile of it, so that will be changing. Kept trying to use up my old inventory and it's taking me too long. I wonder if the open stuff has less body and therefore would be more difficult to apply to a rigid surface. The test would be to try some ordinary "heavy body" traditional acrylic and see if it's any better.

Last edited by bvanevery : 12-09-2017 at 12:29 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Doubt it was contaminated as it was wrapped in a plastic film. It was just the type of surface, extremely smooth, sorta (I think) like painting on yuppo.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/r...panels/#photos
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Plastic film may be the source of the contamination. It's not uncommon for commercial grade plastic film manufacturing lines to add lubricant to the plastic resin or apply lubricant to the equipment so the plastic film flows better.

The longer the plastic film stays in contact with the panel surface, the more contamination will transfer to the panel.

Did you contact Richeson?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

I'm pretty sure surfaces are meant to have gesso applied before painting. If you want the colour of the panel to remain, apply clear gesso. It would prevent future discolouration of the paint from the surface as well.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
Asheville NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
It would prevent future discolouration of the paint from the surface as well.

Actually it won't, unless the "gesso" is also a size. From GOLDEN:

Quote:
Support Induced Discoloration (SID) contamination often goes undetected. In most cases, the paints applied contain a sufficient level of pigment, thus a strong enough color, to conceal the yellowing. However, in a transparent glaze and especially in thick translucent gel layers, SID becomes quite noticeable. SID can transform the appearance of an Ultramarine Blue glaze into a lower chroma, greenish color. Gesso alone will not stop SID, and different gels and mediums have varying degrees of blocking capabilities. The best product Golden Artist Colors produces to prevent SID is GAC 100. This thin medium works best when 2 or more coats are applied directly into the support. Once dry, the canvas can then be primed and subsequently painted with less potential for discoloration. Pre-primed canvases can be sealed with GAC 100 as well. Apply one or two coats onto the surface, and follow with at least one coat of gesso to regain tooth if needed.