WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Lord of the Arts

What is your largest mural piece?

I am curious as to how large some of you work and your preparation process. Feel free to respond to any that apply.
  • What is the largest attached panel mural that you have done?
  • What was your support surface for the attached panel mural?
  • What did you use to secure the panels to the wall?
  • Did you paint it in the studio or in place?
  • What is your largest canvas based mural and how did you attach it to the wall?
  • Was the canvas stretched or mounted on a panel?
  • How about one painted directly on the wall?
  • What did you do to prep the wall?
The largest painting I have done so far was a 36x48 encaustic on Baltic Birch panel. I have never done a mural but I am planning an 4x16 foot landscape orientation that will be done in oils on two 4x8 foot sheets of ACM panel butted together with the joint line visible. I haven't decided yet how to attach them to the wall but most likely epoxied standoffs on the back of the panels with keyed slots for screws that will be in studs on the wall, no frame, the panel will float about 3/4 of an inch off the wall surface. This will be a 2 year project painted in the studio.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: What is your largest mural piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
I am curious as to how large some of you work and your preparation process. Feel free to respond to any that apply.
  • What is the largest attached panel mural that you have done?
    4x8' sheets(x's6) of good one side plywood
  • What was your support surface for the attached panel mural?
  • What did you use to secure the panels to the wall?
    big screws into brick building 3 stories up
  • Did you paint it in the studio or in place?
    in a garage
  • What is your largest canvas based mural and how did you attach it to the wall?
  • Was the canvas stretched or mounted on a panel?
  • How about one painted directly on the wall?
    most of a block in a back alley, ongoing
  • What did you do to prep the wall?
    power sprayer to remove old crumbly paint, then primer ... all exterior murals i've done have been with acrylic/water based paints.

la

The largest painting I have done so far was a 36x48 encaustic on Baltic Birch panel. I have never done a mural but I am planning an 4x16 foot landscape orientation that will be done in oils on two 4x8 foot sheets of ACM panel butted together with the joint line visible. I haven't decided yet how to attach them to the wall but most likely epoxied standoffs on the back of the panels with keyed slots for screws that will be in studs on the wall, no frame, the panel will float about 3/4 of an inch off the wall surface. This will be a 2 year project painted in the studio.
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

It looks like one can obtain 5 foot x 10 foot aluminum composite panels. You could cover a 30 foot wide and 10 foot tall wall with 6 panels or only 3 panels for a 5 foot tall piece.

This guys work on ACM panels is pretty impressive.

http://www.bryanlarsen.com/triumph-o...-and-futility/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Lord of the Arts

Sounds pretty exciting La!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 PM
A WC! Legend

My murals were painted on walls inside a house, directly on the wall with acrylic paints, no prep necessary.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Colorado Springs, CO

Hails from United States

Some good questions! I realize this post is a bit old, but I'll tell you what I've played with, in case anyone's still interested.
[*]What is the largest attached panel mural that you have done?
I've not tried an attached panel, yet - but I'd like to,
and have seen a few folks on here use MDF (right name?).

[*]What did you use to secure the panels to the wall?
I'd likely go for liquid nails. That's what a muralist I once job-shadowed used to attach her Masonite panels to the walls. Not as removable as some may like, though.
[*]Did you paint it in the studio or in place?
I've done both. I've done 4 or 5 in place, in homes or businesses, which put a little more pressure on timely completion. Working in my own home was way more comfortable, but a bit more nerve-wracking when I brought the mural to the client for installation. It was a like a big unveiling/reveal, and I was terrified of disapproval. (Even though we'd kept up a stream of communication and images as the work progressed, it always is a different experience when you're standing in front of it!)
[*]What is your largest canvas based mural and how did you attach it to the wall?
I just installed my first canvas, and my largest canvas in a stairwell entryway. It measures about 8.5' from tip to tip, and is irregular in shape (it's a bit like a mandala/sunray). I used cheesecloth and wallpaper paste (just the regular extended-open-time paste that Lowe's carries in-store) to attach it to the wall.
[*]Was the canvas stretched or mounted on a panel?
My husband built 5'x10' stretcher panels for me to prepare the canvas and paint the mural in our home. We cut it out of the panels and to the irregular final shape before transporting it and finally hanging it. (I do not recommend trimming the cheesecloth to go behind it, though - it's much too flimsy to hold its shape while you're gluing it to the wall!)
[*]How about one painted directly on the wall?
I've done most of mine this way, with combinations of latex wall paint as backgrounds/large area covers and student/pro grade acrylic colors for the rest of the work. I've done a single wall, and a couple full bedroom works.
[*]What did you do to prep the wall?[/list]A couple were in established homes, so we spot-cleaned the walls or used light soap/water and sponges to clean the surfaces. One was in a brand-new home build, so the homeowners had a nice base coat up already before we came in and added our latex base colors. For the "wallpaper"
hanging, I used a light TSP spray bottle to clean the area, let it dry and started gluing.

I'd love to see photos of your work, and what you ended up doing! See below for the canvas panels hung with the wallpaper glue.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Well Nerfherder, I'm finding all of your posts, but if you are calling it wallpaper "glue" and doing the wall preparation like that, you need a bit of information.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Colorado Springs, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletakes
Well Nerfherder, I'm finding all of your posts, but if you are calling it wallpaper "glue" and doing the wall preparation like that, you need a bit of information.

I'm kind of using "paste" and "glue" interchangeably in that post, huh?

Your post sounds like I've done something wrong, I'm curious if that's what you mean?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Texas, say no more

Hails from United States

Sorry, I didn't subscribe to this thread and didn't see it until today.

If you want to be able to remove the canvas, it's so good to use a product like Draw Tite to seal the wall.
Then use a largish cardboard roll when you remove it so that you don't stretch it.
If the owner of the mural ever sells their house, it is rare that the next owner would want it.

I installed a mural of a clarinet and oboe on a purple field of music for a young girl and when their parents moved, she definitely wanted to keep it. It was a significant part of her growing up. So it could be rolled up and stored in a climate controlled room.

Plus there are many types and uses and qualities of differing "pastes". Never say glue around an old school paperhanger.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Hmmm. I used to paint backdrops for the theater.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
Hmmm. I used to paint backdrops for the theater.

I did a few of those too! super fun. then the dance studio 'lost them', tsk!

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2018, 03:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
The largest painting I have done so far was a 36x48 encaustic on Baltic Birch panel.

I've recently started working with encaustics and would love to see this!

la