WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland
Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ December 2017

Finland gained independence exactly 100 years ago.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...ations/9961343

Bruynzeel's Finnish importer had an idea for a centennial set:

http://www.suomalainen.com/webapp/wc...0012465100--77

Heikki
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ December 2017

Thanks for starting this, Heikki! I was just coming to start it. It dawned on me laying in bed this morning that December first had come and gone! Congratulations on your independence anniversary!

How crazy is everyone with the holidays approaching? I am pleasantly in control. There was not a lot of shopping that needed to happen this year. Children needed bigger ticket items that were purchased and given early. I have had a bit of a love affair with chunky yarn this fall, so I am finishing up one last crocheted chunky afghan, and I have to figure out how to frame an odd sized painting I did for my sis. But otherwise I'm in pretty good shape.

Save
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

My cards are all made and nearly all written, and we are planning to decorate our house this weekend, so we're doing pretty well too.

Up in my little studio, I've been experimenting with watersoluble pencils (something I've been meaning to do for ages). I'm trying out different techniques, different brushes and different papers to figure out how best to use them for my traditional style of botanical painting.

On the soft crafts side, I've started a Long Stitch kit (wool yarn on Aida). The design comes printed on the Aida and all the yarns are sorted and coded, so it's just like painting by numbers, but with yarn.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySilver
Up in my little studio, I've been experimenting with watersoluble pencils (something I've been meaning to do for ages). I'm trying out different techniques, different brushes and different papers to figure out how best to use them for my traditional style of botanical painting.
Don't forget to tell us if you find anything interesting!

Heikki
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States

Cards all addressed. Made my own cards, as usual; I'll include one for you all:

And Happy New Year and Happy Holidays and Happy Hannukah and Captivating Kwanzaa!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Attalus - and the same to you!

Our tree and decorations are all up now, so the house is feeling festive! The weather is horrible here today though - strong winds and rain. I feel sorry for the birds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
Don't forget to tell us if you find anything interesting!

Heikki

I'm a real beginner with them, so I'm just trying to figure out if I can achieve smooth, controlled, detailed results with them, as a realistic alternative to watercolour paints for traditional style ('tight', realistic) botanical painting.
I'm really enjoying the experimenting and learning process - it's good fun!

I'm using Albrecht Durers, Caran D'Ache Supracolors and Museum Aquarelles. They are all equally easy and pleasant to use with my new Caran D'Ache palette, and all seem to work nicely together.

For paper, I'm trying out the new 'Bright White' Arches HP, although it's really not bright white - just a slightly lighter shade of cream!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

A treasure chest by Caran d'Ache:

https://store.carandache.com/int/en/...-products.html

No Pablos, no Supracolor Softs - the potential buyer probably has them already! I dare not to think how much this 40 lbs / 18 kg chest costs...

Heikki
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I simplified this year by sending Jacquie Lawson e-cards to the USA and Europe, post to those in Canada, and have a couple to deliver to neighbours...

Our Thanksgiving was in October, but we didn't have a chance to thank then, really. After the family dinner my husband started running a fever, and by dawn I called an ambulance. He came home after a few days, and pneumonia was suspected.

A few days later, after many tests, our dear 10-year-old granddaughter was diagnosed with leukemia. The prognosis is good, she is responding well and being quite a trooper about the intensive treatment. The whole family is being affected, still in some kind of shock.

So far she has needed only one transfusion, which scared her. But when being asked after how was it, she replied: "bloody good!" That is a 10-year-old with a sense of humour...

So, when we get together again for a Christmas dinner, we will thank for sure...!!!

Best wishes for a Happy Holiday to you all, and the best for the New Year

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Immortalized
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Happy Christmas, everyone.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Happy holidays from a snowy Whitby. Looks as if we are going to have a white Christmas after all.
Vena
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

Happy Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQisljegbPM

Jean-Christian Michel and Quatuor Avec Orgue play Johann Sebastian Bach on a 1970 LP.

Heikki
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Immortalized
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

👍😎❄️❄️ Happy Christmas, everyone!☃️☃️
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2017, 04:12 PM
PA

Hails from United States

I hope those who celebrated had the kind of Christmas you hoped for. For me post-Christmas means tying up loose ends and beginning to devote energy to goals for the new year. I'm not a big resolution maker, but there are always things on my radar screen. Some vague ideas of things I'd like to accomplish in the next 365 days. Now is time to start deciding which ones of those are going to get attention first.

Save
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
I hope those who celebrated had the kind of Christmas you hoped for. For me post-Christmas means tying up loose ends and beginning to devote energy to goals for the new year. I'm not a big resolution maker, but there are always things on my radar screen. Some vague ideas of things I'd like to accomplish in the next 365 days. Now is time to start deciding which ones of those are going to get attention first.

I'm starting to think about some aims for next year too - arty ones especially. I want to broaden my subject matter and have a try at landscapes, and also some different animals. I also want to finish all the botanical and bird projects I've half-started (I have a big pile of those - I often get as far as working up an outline sketch but then get distracted).

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Hey, all! Sorry I haven't been around much - the universe got crazy there for a while. I'm hoping to take up my drawing again after the holidays, haven't really done anything for a few weeks. Looks like I missed out on a lot of great artwork! You guys rock!

Raquel, sorry to hear about your grand-daughter - hugs to you and your family. I'm so glad to hear the outlook is positive. It's amazing what they can do these days. Hubby was telling me recently that they seem to have solved the problem of creating custom proteins out of amino acids. They infected a bunch of mice with a strain of flu which is lethal to them then created a protein to cure it and they had 100% successful cures. Can you imagine? Wow!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Our's was quiet and snowy - 6 inches Christmas morning! Now we're in a deep freeze for the next week or 2. Yuk! I am not a winter person!

I'm thinking about taking a course on botanical illustration this spring at a local art center. The price isn't too bad and it runs 6 sessions. Oddly, they didn't specify what medium they will use so maybe it's open to whatever you want. I'd be happy with either watercolor or CPs or even just graphite. Should be fun, either way.

Happy New Year!

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.