WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
Secret Time Capsule found inside Jesus sculpture

I thought some of you might like to look at this.

A secret document was found inside the sculpture. The document was written by a Spanish priest in 1777 called Joaquin Minguez. The document honors the memory of the sculptor, Manuel Bal. The priest also goes on to describe other interesting facts, like the weather, harvesting of crops, wine making, sicknesses and even describes their different forms of entertainment. Anything like this always fascinates me.

https://gizmodo.com/secret-time-caps...utt-1820979738

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England
Re: Secret Time Capsule found inside Jesus sculpture

Interesting article Katie, it doesn't tell us much we didn't already know, but (no pun intended) interesting find.

I read an article where scientists researched church archives going back centuries to see weather patterns. They reckon lots of repairs to church roofs equals high winds and vast repairs to damp walls equalled extremely wet conditions. I think there might be something to it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
Re: Secret Time Capsule found inside Jesus

Ian, Yes, I realize it doesn't exactly tell us anything new but I was really more fascinated by the fact that a priest in 1777 put something in a sculpture, to be hidden for years, not so much about the weather.

I just like the fact that he had the idea of placing the letter inside the statue for other people to find in the future. It is hard for me to imagine people going about their business in the 1700s

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
Ian, Yes, I realize it doesn't exactly tell us anything new but I was really more fascinated by the fact that a priest in 1777 put something in a sculpture, to be hidden for years, not so much about the weather.

I just like the fact that he had the idea of placing the letter inside the statue for other people to find in the future. It is hard for me to imagine people going about their business in the 1700s

Yup, such information about the common people is often far more interesting to modern researchers than stuff about the nobles and great battles. It can be difficult to come by too. More people should really make a point of keeping a diary or writing memoirs, even if they think they lived a dull life. Historians two thousand years from now would give their proverbial front teeth for a highly detailed record of, say, the life of an office worker in early 20th century Kenya or India (or wherever, really).
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

I guess that settles it! I'll keep my journal: A few years long diary of a stranger in a strange land, and a lot of all that went with that, for me...Should I add onto it first, about the recent years?
And, where to hide it?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black

Absolutely, good hiding place too. I do worry about the person who found it though 😊
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
I guess that settles it! I'll keep my journal: A few years long diary of a stranger in a strange land, and a lot of all that went with that, for me...Should I add onto it first, about the recent years?
And, where to hide it?
Sounds like you're gonna need a statue with a bigger butt.

Dave's Website.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM

Have you guys noticed that jesus is usually wearing a toga in statues and paintings, but that's wrong because only Roman citizens were allowed to wear togas. It was like a badge of honor for Roman citizens. jesus was supposed to be a jew.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:19 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaScapePtr
Have you guys noticed that jesus is usually wearing a toga in statues and paintings, but that's wrong because only Roman citizens were allowed to wear togas. It was like a badge of honor for Roman citizens. jesus was supposed to be a jew.

I am guessing that the Medieval artists who copied off of the statues dug from the fields in Rome after the dark ages just mimicked the kind of clothing they saw on Roman statues, not knowing that there was a difference. Most knowledge of art came from wealthy patrons like the Medici who paid for antiquities taken from Rome and other old world sources.

I am sure there are very few drawings or paintings of Jews from the time of Jesus for people several hundred years after to copy, since the bulk of the statuary and painting depicted Roman Gods, Roman royalty, or Roman and Greek Citizens with a smattering of Egyptians. Even Jewish notables who had their statues done wore Roman-derived clothing (King Herod). Possibly because Isreal was Roman occupied.

Many artists of this era also clothed their figures in contemporary clothing, so you saw a lot of medieval clothing in Nativity scenes and so on.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 12-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

If it was known that the toga was an honourific bestowed upon citizens, it is likely that mediveval artists would still have depicted Jesus and other biblical figures thus as an honor. Status display trumps historical accuracy.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Jesus is usually depicted in Christian iconography with blond hair and blue eyes, like a good shaygetz. But my dad had both, and a ruler-straight nose. So Jesus might have looked that way. But chances are good that he didn't.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Jesus is usually depicted in Christian iconography with blond hair and blue eyes, like a good shaygetz. But my dad had both, and a ruler-straight nose. So Jesus might have looked that way. But chances are good that he didn't.

I don't know what shaygetz means but I think that Jesus wasn't a blond guy with blue eyes. The Jewish populations of that era had Mediterranean looks. The only people that where blond with light eyes where the Iones of Asia Minor.
He wasn't probably pale white either and that because he was a carpenter and so he worked outdoors under the sun. When you work under the sun you get a tan and Mediterranean men tend to tan a lot.
He probably also had medium length hair, ( they didn't bother to make short hair cuts but longer hair was a problem too) and also a beard as shaving wasn't an everyday option for poor people due to water scarcity.
He wasn't very tall either, the average height of the males of that era was 1.65 to 1.70 ( and for females about 1.40 to 1.55) but he was for sure fit because there was no other way to work as a carpenter. They did everything by hand. There were no power tools back then.
So he probably was a good looking, rather short for today's standards, young Mediterranean man.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarialenaS
I don't know what shaygetz means but I think that Jesus wasn't a blond guy with blue eyes. The Jewish populations of that era had Mediterranean looks. The only people that where blond with light eyes where the Iones of Asia Minor.
He wasn't probably pale white either and that because he was a carpenter and so he worked outdoors under the sun. When you work under the sun you get a tan and Mediterranean men tend to tan a lot.
He probably also had medium length hair, ( they didn't bother to make short hair cuts but longer hair was a problem too) and also a beard as shaving wasn't an everyday option for poor people due to water scarcity.
He wasn't very tall either, the average height of the males of that era was 1.65 to 1.70 ( and for females about 1.40 to 1.55) but he was for sure fit because there was no other way to work as a carpenter. They did everything by hand. There were no power tools back then.
So he probably was a good looking, rather short for today's standards, young Mediterranean man.

That sounds pretty much spot-on, except for one complication: apparently the word generally translated as "carpenter" can also mean "scholar." And given Jesus' ministry and reputation for being well educated, it may just be that he was in fact a scholar of some sort, rather than the humble craftsman he is portrayed as in the west.

Well, who knows? The historical Jesus is something of a mystery. :-)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Even if he was indeed a scholar, he wouldn't look that much different. There is no chance that he would be too tall, they didn't follow our modern diet with the enhanced foods combined all together, ( carbs and protein and milk products all in one diet). He also wouldn't look pale white, because men didn't cover themselves when they went outdoors. People generally lived a lot outdoors back then and they didn't have sun blockers.

He would also be in better shape than the average modern men of our era because all healthy people were fit back then. They walked a lot, they worked outdoors, they had to do everything by hand.. get water for instance from a well. Have you ever tried to lift a bucket full of water from a deep well? I did it for a while, ( I was taking care the horse of a friend) and trust me, after a week my arms and shoulders were tight like I had spent hours at the gym. Imagine if you had to do this every single day. Or if you had to go everywhere on foot under the sun.
But they were used to have such activities and that is the reason why you don't see them mentioned anywhere. Everyday things are considered too trivial to be mentioned on any records or on literature.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I was being a bit facetious in my previous post. Marialena is almost certainly correct about Jesus's appearance.

Shaygetz is Yiddish for a male gentile.

Not as well known as shiksa, a female. Most Jewish boys know this kvetch from their mothers-- "When are you going to stop dating shiksas and marry a nice Jewish girl?"