WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Worried About Messing Up After Inital Sketching

Hi,

Ihave began to work on a childrens illustration book, I've done all the scripting adn storyboards and I'm into the meat of the illustration work now.

I work so getting time (+Motivation) can be challenge. I find I am getting time to do a decent A3 sketch per week - Might not sound like much but they can take me from 1-3 hours.

So far I am just doing the inital Sketches, I'm very worried about implementing colour over them and messing up the sketches that I am content with. My experience of drawing is more for storyboard/concept art perposes - So relitavely rough drawings back with highlighting blue/red colour pencils for emphasis. Good for ideas but not for finalised presentation.

My friend has a A3 scanner, which I have been utlilising a far bit and it's a bit reassuring to know that I can print them out again - But even with that, it would be on flimsy paper and not the stronger card I have been sketching on.

So I was just looking for advice, I reckon I would be pretty heartbroken if I ended up colouring in and messed up a sketch I did. I've been considering WAter colour and have done a few tests but water colour on typical printing paper (If I use the print outs form my scanned version) will be awful - yet I find coloured pencils don't fill to the effect i want with a texture with leaves gaps.

So I am looking on advice how to proceed really, for now I will continue on with my sketches, but that roadblock is impending. Thanks for your time.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Worried About Messing Up After Inital Sketching

If you want serious watercolor paintings you may wish to consider painting on artist-grade, 100% cotton fiber paper, probably 140-pound or heavier paper. Watercolor board is another option.

Are the sketch graphite lines a significant part of your illustration, or are they simply a preliminary guide for subsequent watercolors? Your answer will be a good guide to what surface you should use for best results.

If you prefer "dry" media, then watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons or even pastels may be an easier medium for you if you are not used to watercolor painting.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

You can try something of this sort of thing to transfer the print of your sketch to thicker paper you can paint on.

https://www.dickblick.com/categories...apers/details/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

great advise ^above^

i'll just leave this here v below v while i ponder, 'how many mice did disney draw in his and mickeys lifetimes ... '

la
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

I have found through experiment that watercolour over print does not work well, even print on watercolour paper.

One thought I have is t use a lightbox and place a copy of your sketch under the work piece. I often use a lightbox as an aid in tracing sketches on to watercolour paper.

Transfer paper can also be used. You can make your own by rubbing tracing paper heavily with soft graphite then fixing it by wiping down with alcohol. Or you can buy it inexpensively. Make sure to get "erasable". Some are formulated with wax and do not erase or take watercolour as well over the lines.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2017, 03:10 AM
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi there,

I am a newbie ( haven't said hello on the welcome thread yet) but just reading through this thread, I thought I might add that using a lightbox as was mentioned is a great idea. If you don't and cannot access a lightbox, you might perhaps wish to use the window. I do that, If I want to trace a sketch onto a bit of paper that I intend to paint on, I get some sticky tape, and stick the sketch onto the window that has light but not direct light, although I guess it might not matter, then I stick the paper that is 'good' on the top. The natural light acts as a lightbox.

Your project sounds interesting. Good luck

oh wait, when I say window, I mean the window of a room of a house. not a window on the computer...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM

I am an oldbie water color(WC) guy but new to the forum. I enjoy sketching for my WCs and I thought I would look at sketching. I am trying to jump start/improve my old skills.

All the WC people I have ever sketched with use artist grade paint and 100% cotton fiber paper, probably 140-pound or heavier paper. With me it is all cold press. I tend to stock up on it and other supplies when DickBlick or Cheap Joes have their free shipping (just got some on free shipping day). I am the transfer paper type.

The paper is the key item with WCs I do. Paint will only do so much if cheap paper is used. Most of the technique we learn in WC classes would be a waste of time without good paper because the paint would not do what we want it to do. I tend to use a limited palette of 3 primary 3 secondary and 2 special (used to paint water or pine trees) WCs for my sketching.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchiSketcher
Hi,

Ihave began to work on a childrens illustration book, I've done all the scripting adn storyboards and I'm into the meat of the illustration work now.

I work so getting time (+Motivation) can be challenge. I find I am getting time to do a decent A3 sketch per week - Might not sound like much but they can take me from 1-3 hours.

So far I am just doing the inital Sketches, I'm very worried about implementing colour over them and messing up the sketches that I am content with. My experience of drawing is more for storyboard/concept art perposes - So relitavely rough drawings back with highlighting blue/red colour pencils for emphasis. Good for ideas but not for finalised presentation.

My friend has a A3 scanner, which I have been utlilising a far bit and it's a bit reassuring to know that I can print them out again - But even with that, it would be on flimsy paper and not the stronger card I have been sketching on.

So I was just looking for advice, I reckon I would be pretty heartbroken if I ended up colouring in and messed up a sketch I did. I've been considering WAter colour and have done a few tests but water colour on typical printing paper (If I use the print outs form my scanned version) will be awful - yet I find coloured pencils don't fill to the effect i want with a texture with leaves gaps.

So I am looking on advice how to proceed really, for now I will continue on with my sketches, but that roadblock is impending. Thanks for your time.

want a safe tool? Get a projector. Project your sketch at an easel and color it there.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Hi Sketchisketcher,

Bravo on your project! Sounds like a great deal of creative effort. Depends a little bit on how much detail is in the drawings, I would think.

A couple of thoughts:

Maybe over in the Illustration Forum, re-post your question? There could be folks who have been down the same route as you.

I've copied out drawings using my window as my light table (as already posted). Here's my work flow:

Using painter's tape, I fix my drawing to the window - hopefully not with the sun directly behind it! Next, I tape my new sheet over it. Are they the same size or different sizes? If different, I next make corner marks on my new sheet to show the corners of the original page - so I can re-align if this takes more than one session.

Then I begin, laying in the largest shapes and working down to more detailed. In fact, I can lift up the new sheet to look at the original, for confirmation of things. Flipping back and forth. Or, once I have enough linework, I take it down and work side by side on a table to finish the details.

I wonder what the folks in the Illustration Forum do?

Cheers!