WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Do you write notes on what/how you want to draw before actually drawing.

Do you write notes or any other preparations on what/how you want to draw before actually drawing.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States
Re: Do you write notes on what/how you want to draw before actually drawing.

I keep notes, record mediums, processes and materials used, note the weather, thoughts during the process, ideas, etc. I have done this since I was a kid.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I spend a lot of time figuring the crop I wish to use and the size but I will begin drawing once all that is determined and I've cut the paper.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayt0dawn
Do you write notes or any other preparations on what/how you want to draw before actually drawing.

I usually draw a thumbnail .. or 5 to get the composition. THen I do some gestural drawings in newsprint paper and there I might take notes of what I did not like on it. SInce I have little time per day to draw that helps remind me "where were I when I stopped".
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

I usually conceptualize it on the computer, crop it, size it, position objects and then when the idea is clear I go for it... yet, I always plan ahead and write little notes when I'm drawing or painting... for example, I take a picture of it, and start writing a checklist of the details I must correct, and how will I do them... then I don't miss any of them in the end
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 AM
Immortalized
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

You are all very organised!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuee
You are all very organised!

oo no.. really not. At work I am known as the avatar of disorganization :P I have 3 desks because my disorganization doe snot fit in a single desk :P
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Not usually, though most of my drawing is currently loose sketching and studies. I sometimes make notes afterward because that's when what I used at the moment matters. I may want to remember which watercolors had that effect or which pen dissolved with water that way, or what hardness of pencil got that effect. Most of the time it's not planned though.

I might lightly pencil before using a pen, but that's all the planning I do on paper. I know it would probably help for serious painting and drawing to do studies first and develop the composition, but working small as I do, that's not as important.

Also, I like drawing from life. Especially animals, so that means if I see something I want to draw, I'd better get right into it fast before my subject rolls over or wanders away.

In fact, now that I think of it, that's exactly when I stopped planning anything. I went to a life drawing group in Kansas and sweated over every model - until one of them decided to warm up with a series of 30 second poses. Racing the clock second by second, I tried doing gestures and in a dozen of them managed to get in most of the model's form before she moved. Then in a 15 minute pose, I wound up finished in about five or six, noodling for the rest of the time on background stuff because I'd gotten into it with the unhesitating pace of the gesture sketches.

Ever since then, I stopped planning except to note down ideas for serious paintings to set up later on. I have a few that I might do someday and occasionally think about but that's not the same thing - and collecting the things I need to do them including references may take a while for something like the "white cat and crystal stuff on a fancy shelf" concept. But those take years to come about.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 12-08-2017 at 10:20 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast
Muncho Lake, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

I do it all on the computer. I don't sketch very often, usually I paint. I rotate objects, move them around, change lighting and colour on the computer. It's fully composed on the screen before I start the painting. I paint from my laptop.

I couldn't keep up with all the writing and sketching on paper if I did it by hand.
- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14