WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 AM

Portrait of a Woman

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait of a Woman
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi, have never posted work in critique before, but I've recently finished a portrait from life and I'd like to know what people think of it from a fine art standpoint.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any thoughts? I like a lot about it, but I struggled a bit with the eyes. Not sure they look quite right.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:41 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait of a Woman

The nose & the ear seem not quite done to me..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 AM

I like it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Without a photo it's difficult to assess. I see nothing wrong with the eyes, or anything else for that matter, but have nothing to compare it with. I may have varied the background value a bit more to enhance the contrast of the figure, but that's all I can see. Looks like a fine piece of work to me!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 PM

As others have pointed out, the ear needs a little bit more work. Other than that a highly accomplished painting. the composition is fine but thereís something very static about it. Maybe the values are all too close together, leading to little dramatic effect? You definitely lead the eye to the face as the highest contrast point, but if you squint the majority of the canvas has very little tonal range. It isnít flat but everything kind of blends together. I think a darker backdrop would do wonders.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillobelly
As others have pointed out, the ear needs a little bit more work. Other than that a highly accomplished painting. the composition is fine but thereís something very static about it. Maybe the values are all too close together, leading to little dramatic effect? You definitely lead the eye to the face as the highest contrast point, but if you squint the majority of the canvas has very little tonal range. It isnít flat but everything kind of blends together. I think a darker backdrop would do wonders.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I would agree with this. I didn't choose the backdrop, but I thought it could be advantageous to have these close light values that give a lighter, feminine effect that complements her kind of angular features. But it's definitely not the best choice for getting a dramatic effect. And maybe it doesn't really work and that's okay, too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Lovely portrait, absolutely beautiful work.

It's very difficult to know if the eyes are right without a photo reference, because my initial thoughts led me to believe they were slightly off. They seem perfectly aligned with the nose and mouth so its difficult to specify. I'm not sure if its the nose or left eye (far eye) but there seems to be too much space between the eye and bridge of the nose from this perspective. Minor point, really.

It is, however, a lovely portrait. Loved it.

Best

Beemax
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Nice work. I like the background as is. The ear needs attention and I superimposed a grid over the face because something seemed off with the eyes. I couldnít find anything off with either of them but when the grid was in place it was clear that the far eye is lower than the near eye. I really do like this and think itís well worth the time it will take to make these minor tweaks. Iíll attach the grid which I centered on the pupil of the near eye.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brown
Nice work. I like the background as is. The ear needs attention and I superimposed a grid over the face because something seemed off with the eyes. I couldnít find anything off with either of them but when the grid was in place it was clear that the far eye is lower than the near eye. I really do like this and think itís well worth the time it will take to make these minor tweaks. Iíll attach the grid which I centered on the pupil of the near eye.

I knew there was something off there! I had felt a little like the right eye was too lower but wasn't sure. Thanks! And yeah the ear looks a little off especially with the grid.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Hails from United States

Nice brushwork and subtle skin tones. You said this was a live model. Could it be that the model very slightly shifted the turn of her head towards the painter sometime during the sitting? To me her left eye looks like it is focused more towards the painter/ viewer of painting. Keep in mind if making adjustments.