WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States
'Round the Campfire ~ December

Hi everyone! Happy December! I hope you're all off to a great start to the new month. I know it will be busy for many, but I do hope everyone remembers to come back and spend some time relaxing by the campfire.

(from last month)

Hi Rick. Ah, pie, I love it, too! And thank you. I'm glad you like the show setup. I hope you find time to enjoy creativity despite the busyness of the season. And having 5 paintings on easels going at once sounds impressive! I'd love to see a photo! You work so hard for your art! It's truly inspiring!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: 'Round the Campfire ~ December

Hi Jenna! Yes, this month started off well with our temps warm and partly sunny days; tomorrow should be 74. So hubby is off golfing and I can paint in peace. Actually painted your snow scene in our challenge yesterday as knowing it was now December it put me in a winter time mood. This morning I cleaned and decorated my studio for Christmas; here are some pix of it.

A frontal view from left side by the street

A full frontal view

Close up of the porch

Last edited by KreativeK : 12-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

That's cute! Very homey!

I spent last week working on my Coelophysis sculpture for the contest I and Woody are having.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 12-03-2017 at 09:47 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

Very nice looking studio - very inviting! I had a stand alone studio in East Boothbay Maine for about 7 years - it was in a 1950's carriage house on our property - I do miss it - your photos brought back a lot of memories!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Kay. Oh, what a fun and cheerful studio you have! I just love all your bold colors. It suits your artwork perfectly! Thanks for sharing your pictures. Such fun to see this!

Hi Use Her Name. I am looking forward to seeing the Coelophysis!

Hi Richard. Your studio sounds beautiful, too! Do you have any pictures of it?

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Tell us more about your contest UHN. Thanks for commenting about my little studio cottage, you and Richard. We had 77 degrees today but that will change with tonight's cold front moving in with wind, ugh...rain forecast for Wednesday. All area cotton farmers are NOT yet thru stripping and the rain will diminish cotton fiber quality. I've not seen my brother in months.

Last edited by KreativeK : 12-04-2017 at 09:43 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Happy December, everyone! Hard to get my mind around that.

Kay, your studio is beautiful! It fits you for sure.

I sketched down in historical Bastrop so will share a sketch or two so you can see what we do.

They have a sign leaning up against the back of this pickup so you can't see the back wheel on the passenger side....

This is the front of an old car, not the pickup.

I think all of the things are getting so weather worn that they won't be there much longer. The owner of the property brought in the old buildings or just built some of them of old lumber and metal. Fun place to sketch.
Winston Churchill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
Tell us more about your contest UHN.

I and Woody got to talking in the Gwangi Y Diablo thread, and challenged each other to create a Coelophysis sculpture (small, I am assuming). I think he was working on a velociraptor in wax, or maybe that was another person on WC.

Coelophysis is the state dinosaur of New Mexico, found at the Wittiker quarry at Ghost Ranch, near Taos, and is a part of the history of the west.

I was pretty happy about the challenge, because it has been years since I have done any dinosaur work.

I started quickly afterward, and am nearly done as of this date. When we are done we will post the finished product here.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Jo, I love your fun Bastrop sketches...it's been many years since I was there. Texas history is so amazing.

UHN, that will be a neat undertaking on the dinosaurs.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:59 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

UHN, sculpture contest sounds great and dinosaurs. Wow!

Kay, Bastrop is very historic. Something like 150 historical registered houses plus public buildings. Thanks, a fun place to sketch. Tomorrow is our sketching day, but will be cold so we are opting for inside the Coffee Dog. Guess I will sketch coffee and cinnamon rolls. We are having a cold night tonight and tomorrow night with one of our few "winter" days.

Well, hope all y'all are getting your Christmas and holiday stuff lined in a row! I just started a painting for my cards. I sent calendars in past years. Too expensive when I haven't been painting or sold anything. I only painted one good painting this year or two. So my calendar is sketches and just did for the family. I'll post my card for you when done.

And...thanks.

I put some peanut butter cookies and fresh coffee on.....There is egg nog in the fridge....(not really, but doesn't that sound good?)
Winston Churchill
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It is in the 30s here with that infernal wind blowing ENE, then dipping down tonight. Some eggnog sounds good, Jo!

Big Spring is very historic also if anyone wants to Google it. The town just finished a complete restoration of the big spring as discovered by Cabeza de Vaca and used by the Comanches for a main watering hole for this region of the Permian Basin.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States

Well good morning gang!!
Holy cow, where the heck did November go? And here we are 8 days into Dec??!! My life is crazy right now...just wanted to at least tell y'all I didn't drop of the face of the earth again!
Kay, your studio looks so inviting! I'd drop in if I were in your neck of the woods!
Jo - I love your drawings!!
Jenna - I love your art show setup! Very, very inviting! Congrats on it being your best so far.
Hello to everyone else!
I'm sitting here wrapped in a blanket right now, it's below freezing outside and I haven't turned on my heat yet. A few days ago it was pushing mid-80's with lows in the 50's. They say in AZ if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
My work life has been totally crazy, home life just as bad. Today I'm off work though, working on my jams and jellies. Gonna go fire up the stove to get the chill off in here. And I'm still working - very slowly - on my Christmas drawing. If I put my head into it, I'll get it done this weekend.
Have a great Freiday gang!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Punta Gorda FL

Hails from United States

Real nice sketches Jo!!!!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It is good to see you, Kathy! they say the same about Texas weather, too, and it is true. Freezing last night but today warms up to the 50s with full sun. My cats are so confused.

Hey Richard!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well. I'm just killing a bit of time before it's time to leave for a family Christmas party, so decided to get a cup of coffee and some of Jo's yummy peanut butter cookies and join you all at the Campfire for a spell.

Hi Kay. Oh, I hope the cotton farmers were able to get their crops in before the rain. We've been dealing with far too much rain this year, so I can sympathize with the frustrations.

Hi Jo. These sketches are fantastic! Your sketches had a distinct style that is so appealing. Excellent work, and I like those mellow little pops of color in the middle one. Well done!

Hi Use Her Name. This competition sounds like great fun! I can't wait to see what you both come up with.

Hi Kathy. Thank you so much for the kind words on my booth display. I hope your Christmas art is coming along. Mine is nearly done...it's been a scram this year, but is turning out ok.

Hi Richard. Thanks again for posting photos of your gallery in your ongoing art thread! It's fun to see the setup you had. It looks wonderful!