WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States
Monthly Scumble December 2017

Welcome to the Scumble! It's the last month of 2017. Another year is flying by. Join us here to discuss your everyday life, new projects, holiday plans and even new year plans! Merry Christmas!

Here's a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1436645

Christine Neidhofer
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Monthly Scumble December 2017

Hello!
Very flat-looking, no shadow light this morning due to overcast. Been overcast here for days.
Didn't help that I overslept after a bad shoulder night. One of those "can't find the comfort zone" restless nights.
Ongoing project is to unpack painting supplies and set up a corner for a studio area.
Holiday decorations found. Big green tubs sitting in dining room as they are emptied.
Disorder first.
Hmmm...I wonder if I can just slip a few studio boxes into the chaos.
Have a good Month!
Bill
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:32 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh that sounds like fun. I always enjoy holiday decorating.

Not much going on for me except that it gets really boring getting sick. I got a bad cold that lingered, and I'm more than ready to be done with it. Lots of affectionate cats.

New outdoor kitty Jacqueline is extremely enthusiastic, friendly, cuddly and determined to become an indoor cat. Every time anyone goes in or out she's trying to nip indoors. The indoor cats aren't that sure of her yet. Hopefully when they build my cottage I can make her dream come true, but with Sissy that'd just be two indoor cats.

We have seven votes for a cat flap, but the farm is not a democracy.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Discovered something weird while sitting outside. My right eye has stronger color vision than the left. I didn't know that anyone could be partially color blind in one eye, and not so much in one range or the other but just overall. In my left eye colors are a little more muted, in right eye they're brilliant. I look at things with both eyes and my mind blends both images.

I knew I had astigmatism and so my eyes were never exactly alike, but didn't know that also affected my color vision.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Discovered something weird while sitting outside. My right eye has stronger color vision than the left. I didn't know that anyone could be partially color blind in one eye, and not so much in one range or the other but just overall. In my left eye colors are a little more muted, in right eye they're brilliant. I look at things with both eyes and my mind blends both images.

I knew I had astigmatism and so my eyes were never exactly alike, but didn't know that also affected my color vision.

Astigmatism wouldn't affect your color vision. I have it in both eyes, regardless of the cataracts I had. I still have to wear glasses because there are a couple of distance points where my astigmatisms cause a problem with my vision. Might want to have that left eye checked for a cataract. Before I had mine removed, I got to a point where I couldn't tell blue from black any more. Was trying to buy a navy blue shirt for work and had to ask someone if it was indeed blue, or black.

Christine Neidhofer
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I hadn't thought of that. Terrifying if true, since I have a phobia of eye surgery or anything touching my eyes. It doesn't look any different from the other eye, it's just something I noticed when I looked at the same scene with one eye or the other, like there are fewer cones in the left eye.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I'm with Christine, sounds like a cataract. I understand the eye thing Robert, but it's so worth it. Of all the surguries ive had, it was the quickest. And opening your eyes and seeing the room isn't really an ugly shade of brown, but grey, was awesome.

I've been lurking. Haven't been able to paint much. I did a few watercolors but that's been about it. The first 4 months of the year I couldn't see, was waiting for the surgeon to do the cataract surgery. Since I had the vitrectomies before, my eye doctor wanted me to wait for a specific person. It's been a long three year process, but I never thought it could be this good, and I'd do it again tomorrow. I went from not being able to see the big e on the chart even with glasses, to almost 20/20 without them. the answer to my prayers.

A week after my second eye was done, we got the puppy. He's been almost full time job. Between him, the garden, house repairs, canning, working in the pasture, etc. I'm only now coming up for air, and now Christmas. So the new year will hopefully come with more time to paint.

The little puppy is now over 70 pounds at 9 months old. I still don't trust him out of my sight, but we're getting there. He loves socks, can chew through a leash in less than a minute and is by far the most athletic dog we've had. He's not bad, just a puppy. We've been cooped up because of deer season, I look forward to tomorrow when we can get out for a nice walk in the woods.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
I hadn't thought of that. Terrifying if true, since I have a phobia of eye surgery or anything touching my eyes. It doesn't look any different from the other eye, it's just something I noticed when I looked at the same scene with one eye or the other, like there are fewer cones in the left eye.

If it is indeed a cataract, the surgery is nothing Robert. They numb your eye with drops before hand. Then drops to make a pretty rainbow of colors. You can't see a thing they're doing and you only feel just a slight bit of pressure while they remove the cataract. Whole process from numbing to removal took about a half hour. And the results...oh the results...are soooo worth it!! When I walked into work and could see and read all the way to the back of the store without glasses....WOW!!! Don't be afraid to have it checked out. It's painless.

Christine Neidhofer
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Phobia. Flat out phobia of being conscious during it. I don't know if I could manage to hold still. Seriously. It's not about feeling it. I had eye surgery at three and it was traumatic. It's a deep phobia of anything touching my eyes, ever, which is why I can't wear contacts. If I were completely unconscious I might make it through it, but then there'd be eye drops afterward and I can't take eye drops, same trauma, they burned and I got held down for them.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I was given twilight anesthesia when I had both the vitrectomies and cataract surgery. I don't remember much about any of them. I have a terrible problem with anesthesia and wake up fighting hard most times, twilight was like dosing off watching tv. I wonder if they could knock you out a little early and do the drops while you're out. I can understand not wanting people to touch you eyes, but the doctors may have a good way around that. There are drop you need to put in afterwards for about 2 weeks, I'm not sure how you would get around that.

Does everything look tea stained? Look at white through each eye and see if the color changes. I couldn't tell the difference between the right and wrong sides of my photo paper even in sunlight. Now I look at it and it's obvious one is off white.

I found working in pastels was still possible even with the color issues. The pastels I did before surgery aren't as off as my watercolors. I think it's because when you see a color and have to mix paint to get it your brain kicks in.... I need a little Quinn magenta added to azo yellow... with pastels, when I saw dull orange and matched the dull orange it became bright orange after surgury. Not sure how to explain it. I was surprised to see my art afterwards. Some of it I hate now. The type of cataract I had effected red more than the normal blue, I painted lots of red before and after surgury, I'm relearning that color. Weird. The doctor said my lenses were more white than the amber of regular cataracts.

On a side note. I had them fix the astigmatism during surgury. For the next few weeks things i knew to be square look wider than tall until my brain quit compensating for the distortion caused by the astigmatism. Pretty neat.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

The drops I'd have to put in for about two weeks after is what I was talking about, and there is no way around that. I'd have to do it or risk infection. It's topical antibiotics.

White doesn't look tea stained. There is no difference in the way I can say, read with one eye. It's still the eye that I can see more detail with. The one that had to be covered as a child supposedly to train my "lazy eye" which didn't work but made school and life even harder because I couldn't read. It's the one specific thing that I have more rods in one eye and more cones in the other, which I mentioned mostly as an oddity.

The rest of my body is severely asymmetrical, enough that it impairs me. Unless this actually gets worse from when I noticed it, I'm pretty much chalking it up to that. I was mostly just surprised - and surprised at myself a little for expecting to be normal, to have any experience similar to other people's. There seems to be a theme to my disabilities and it's lopsidedness. What it left me wondering is how much this has affected my color judgment and how colors look to other people.

Do my paintings look brighter to other people because I'm reacting to a subtle type of color-blindness, not specific to a color pair but in general? Are my paintings more muted than they would be because my bright-color eye is more sensitive? That's what I'll never know really. Not sure how to test that. When I did the color vision test a few years ago I came up with a bit more gaps than I thought I'd have. But guys are more prone to color blindness and women's color vision is more sensitive - something that does make evolutionary sense just like women's better sense of smell. Telling which of these very similar plants is poisonous but maybe good medicine versus the one that'd taste good in a stew is life-saving but less important than distinguishing the subspecies of antelope by how tawny its coat is.

I don't even feel bad about it because there was that incredible impressionist I knew in Chicago - who was legally blind. She painted masses of tone and color accurately and brilliantly with very expressive strokes. She painted what she saw, the world was not in fine enough resolution for her to drive a car (which didn't matter in the middle of the city with decent transportation). It helped her avoid the overdetailed mess that most new artists' attempts at realism, like mine, were.

Interesting that everything brightened in color after your surgery. I can see how that would work. I didn't know they could fix the astigmatism. That's surprising.

And all this might be moot if it's not covered anyway, given that I'm not working and living on Social Security. Either it'd be available or it wouldn't, but either way I would not have much choice in where to go or how to get help. I run into that with dentistry and still haven't gone.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I would imagine if there are other asymmetries your eyes would be effected too. Have you ever tried to paint the same picture twice, once with either eye covered? I've become a bit fascinated with how different people see color.

I always had great color perception, color correction was my job at the print shop where I worked years ago. I took that color test a year or so ago and did lousy. I figured it was my really old computer monitor. I should try it again.

Funny, I bought Ludwig grey set after so may people here recommended it. I really didn't like it. All the colors seemed to have a dirty red bias to me. I hadn't looked at them since surgury. Wow, what a difference! It really wasn't just shades of ugly beige.

Now I'm really ready to start painting again. On Monday I get to order my painting glasses. Good to see from 4 feet out to close up. We should be done with firewood soon, straight into Christmas baking. My son will be on leave for Christmas (it is always so nice to have him home) so I won't be doing much painting until he heads back. Come January, things should slow down.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thas is so awesome, DB! While I'm not ready to get any kind of eye surgery any time soon - especially during winter, do not want to deal with any medical things in winter - getting glasses would be a big improvement. I've always needed them and usually not had them. Matter of logistics and money.

Christmas baking sounds wonderful. We'll be gearing up to that too. Around our house that's pies. Last year Kitten made eight or nine different pies, everyone's favorites and then some. Pecan pie, fruit of the forest (various berries and stuff), apple, peach, key lime for those that like it, just lots of different pies. Almond pie, which is sort of like baklava and done with fillo dough and the almond paste you use to make marzipan. That last is one of Kitten's trademark recipes.

This year's feast might be a little less extravagant though, because Kitten got a new job with a long commute. She went from freelance horse shoeing to barn manager at an Arabian barn - they breed Arabian horses there. So she's taking care of these half a million dollar stallions and over the past few weeks I'm hearing stories about how they misbehave, along with the assorted mares and geldings.

So now she has much less time and more money, the household's doing well again especially for winter. Shoeing was seasonal so winters would get tight. Not this year, now we're more tight for time than money.

Too bad you didn't like the Terry Ludwig grays. Seriously, all the colors have a dirty red bias? Even the blues and greens? That's weird. Must be cool having better color vision though. I think it'd be a bit freaky to come back to something like that and find all the colors different from what I thought they were, would profoundly affect how I paint.

Makes sense to spend time at home with your son. I'm getting closer to my granddaughter now, we have more time together and it's very cool. She's drawing dragons and belongs to several fan sites with dragon drawings - a roleplay and some sort of dragon breeding thing, it's complicated. She's selling dragon drawings for game money online and doing lots of commissions, which is improving her skills at a fast clip just the way it did for me. Awesome that she's doing this with play money and learning pricing and selling before actually hitting the adult world. She's the kid that won't have to work at fast food! She's 13 now, turns 14 in April.

I've started getting back to daily art, which is a big relief after almost a year of very little art. I was surprised to realize that I hadn't updated my art supply reviews blog for two years when I posted to it last week. I'm now going to be updating weekly. I have enough cool stuff I haven't reviewed yet, and of course the blog is an excuse to buy new toys.

I'm also slowly getting stronger than when I first moved back here. Took a knock with the cold last month but it's finally over so I'm starting to enjoy life again. It's great to be back online.

Sissy Cat is getting a lot more cuddly. She sleeps on my bed now and she spends significant time on my lap when I'm on the computer. She's sweet about it, just settles down and purrs, lets me type over her, goes to sleep in my lap while I'm typing or reading. But she'll stay for half an hour to sometimes two or three hours, then I feel bad about having to get up for the bathroom or something and realize I spent half the day with my cat! She's a sweetheart. I love my Sissy fluff. I will never forget Ari, but Sissy girl has her own piece of my heart with her special ways.

She sings, trilling and chirping and has a very high voice even for a cat. She also reaches out with her paw, when she wants attention she raises her hand like a little furry schoolgirl. She's so dainty sometimes it's adorable. And she bounces, she likes to prance across the room fluffing her tail out and swaying it around in a sort of tail-fan dance.

So she's my girlfriend. I can tell people I'm sleeping with a beautiful blue-eyed long haired blonde.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:18 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Today's daily art was Artish.

Two Lilies for Lily
Origami paper, glossy and matte, painted wire.
Collaboration with grandson (the brighter lily, I did the smaller, darker glossy one, different kind of paper) and granddaughter (wire, painted hanging stems and stamens, wire design.

It was fun. My autistic grandson isn't very verbal but he has a photographic memory and he's very dextrous. I got the pattern out of a book but was more used to the instructions than he was. So I showed him how to do the lily pattern, he followed along with his larger, brighter paper a lot better than I did when I was first struggling with how to do a crane. I idly speculated on what to use for stems, but granddaughter Sascha (thirteen going on fourteen and brilliant artist herself) found some wire. Painted it with pan gouache, then varnished it with clear gloss varnish and shaped it into hanging loop stems and long curling yellow stamens. The net result was awesome.

They've since been taken down, Sascha's idea is to hide them in her room and then get me and Gabriel to present them to her as a surprise. It'll be cool. I had the idea origami might make good holiday decorations and like how they looked dangling from the lantern. Lily (my daughter, often called Kitten) is going to be happy with them, I think. It's not often Gabriel does artistic projects, he's more fond of puzzles and word searches.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

This is my Christmas present from my seven year old granddaughter. Acrylic on canvas. My first original "Saundra!" Lovin it!

Christine Neidhofer