WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States
Question Girl Climbing Sunflower

Hey all -

Here's my latest. I like it, but I feel like something's missing and I'm hoping more eyeballs can help me see it.

8" x 10" on gessoed watercolor paper.
No OMS or powdered blender, but I did use Textured Fixative between layers.

constructive criticism welcome

Thanks,
Mary.

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Re: Girl Climbing Sunflower

Nice! I love the background and the bright cheerful colors. The sunflower looks great, but maybe it needs some leaves? But I think it's beautiful as-is.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Just a thought about the centre of the sunflower ... they have a sort of spiral of seeds and I was wondering if you could add some sort of highlight specks to the centre. Did you use a stencil for the background "leaves"? I really like those patterns. They suit the subject very nicely. Why did you gesso the watercolour paper? I am presuming white gesso. Would love to hear about your process.
Vena
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

How refreshing Mary to ask for more eyes to look at your work! It sure helps...

Your girl is a wonderful illustration. Just the title suggests that you have a children story about her sunflower adventure brewing inside you.

The arrangement of the seeds in the sunflower is in reality much more than spirals. It follows a very involved mathematical sequence similar to the way a pineapple sections line up around it. It would be a requirement for a strictly botanical illustration, but not for such a charming stylized piece of work. Like Vena suggests, maybe even some specks here and there would give it some texture?

What puzzles my eyes is the leg. Do you picture the other one behind the flower stem? Could you add just a second big toe (or a heel) picking out somewhere, as if she is climbing? Trying it on a piece of tracing paper first to establish the position may be a good idea!

Your work is very creative...

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I meant "peeking out" somewhere...

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Extra eyes are always good!! Here's what I'm seeing. The sunflower and the background pattern are fairly crisp, with well-defined darks and lights. In contrast, the girl is much less well-defined. The lines are much less crisp and the darks and lights less well-defined. So on looking at the image, my eye is going to the flower and the background, and then it kind of wanders to the girl. So while I agree with the thoughts about the flower center, I'm not sure it's what this drawing needs. If you want the girl to stand out, tighten up the lines and light/darks. Define her better. Just my two cents.
Save

Save
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast
Washington

Hails from United States

I think this is a very pretty painting. My only suggestion would be to try darkening background so that the sunflowers and girl show up better.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:05 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Lovely!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:13 AM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States

PingPongFan aka Vena: I'm sorry I didn't see your questions earlier.

Yes, I used a stencil for the background patterns. It was my first time trying that and I liked the results, too.

Yes, I gesso-ed the watercolor paper. I probably transferred the drawing on first, then used clear gesso to seal it down and seal the paper. I think I also used powder blender and the fixative from brushandpencil.com to get the blends.

Frida: I originally had the back leg on the drawing, then eliminated it because it would never look right. I hoped no one would miss it. ;-)

Thanks everyone!

Mary.

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, Florida

This makes for a lovely beautifully rendered story.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 AM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Actually, the background overwhelms the figure not because it is too light, but rather because it is too bright, too intense, and fights to come to the foreground. It needs a touch of the complementary colours to Green (Red) and to Yellow (Violet) to neutralize them a bit. To learn how it works you can do a mock up on another piece of paper.

But yes, as Joan suggests, usually it is a good idea to have a darker BG with a light subject, and a lighter one with a dark subject, apart from a more neutral colour as well...

And last, the BG needs to be simpler to allow the subject to be the first to attract attention!

Here it is in Grey scale:

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up Re: Girl Climbing Sunflower

I really really like this. I think what could make it stand out even more is some more dept and shadows? It seems a little "flat" to me. But I really do like it and the concept!