WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada
[Beginner tutorial video] Principles of color mixing + color-matching demo

Hello friends!

I made two tutorial videos on the principles of color mixing, for absolute beginners.

In the videos I do not talk about specific tube color names because they are irrelevant to the understanding of color mixing. I try to keep it simple by calling them generic names, so that it does not interfere with the understanding of the key principles.

Learn the color mixing principles rather than specific mixtures for skin tone, trees, rocks, etc...this is the biggest advice I can give to a beginner. And have fun!

Part 1 (color-mixing principles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J55rzyQfrOg
Part 2 (color-match demo): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epzCuwIavEI
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: [Beginner tutorial video] Principles of color mixing + color-matching demo

Thanks for taking the time to create those two videos. But since we're on the topic of color theory, the notion of red, yellow and blue (more specifically red and blue) being unmixable, and therefore primary, won't go very far here. Though I am one who personally does like red, yellow, blue as a framework for color mixing for realism and other representational art.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
Thanks for taking the time to create those two videos. But since we're on the topic of color theory, the notion of red, yellow and blue (more specifically red and blue) being unmixable, and therefore primary, won't go very far here. Though I am one who personally does like red, yellow, blue as a framework for color mixing for realism and other representational art.

Hi Patrick, thanks for the input.

This video is intended to help beginners learn the fundamental principles about hue, value, and chroma. I find that beginners tend to memorize specific tube color names and mixtures for specific purposes (I have been there before), and it really limits their ability to mix colors freely. The method presented in the video will work with any palette of colors, as long as it has some versions of blue, red, yellow in it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Lord of the Arts

Just a few points I'd like to comment on:

* When you make paints lighter, you increase value, not decrease it;

* That blue is a bit too light. Pure Phthalo Blue (any PB 15) would be a better choice;

* Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) or Quinacridone Red (PV 19-γ) would be better choices for magentas, giving cleaner colors.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrill
Just a few points I'd like to comment on:

* When you make paints lighter, you increase value, not decrease it;

* That blue is a bit too light. Pure Phthalo Blue (any PB 15) would be a better choice;

* Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) or Quinacridone Red (PV 19-γ) would be better choices for magentas, giving cleaner colors.

Hi Mythrill, thanks for the input.

The numbers on the value scale depends on which system you use. I use Richard Schmid's system in his Alla Prima book, where higher the number = darker the value.

And just to emphasize again, the point of the video is to demonstrate fundamental principles of color mixing, the pigment or colors on the palette is irrelevant because they are merely different hues on a continuum. The underlying principles are the same no matter what colors you start with.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:12 AM

thanks, that was helpful.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin3
thanks, that was helpful.

Thanks Kin, glad you found them helpful.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 07:08 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Principle of color mixing is, that color mixing is unpredictable. Just try to continue color mixing until you get proper hue. Do not mix "Violet" using Cadmium Red light and Cobalt Blue unless you like vivid Brown color. People always advice to use Red and Blue to mix violet, but I studied this "lesson" when I was 6 years old or less when I painted my first abstract expressionism watercolor mess.

Last edited by Gigalot : 12-04-2017 at 07:20 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Principle of color mixing is, that color mixing is unpredictable. Just try to continue color mixing until you get proper hue. Do not mix "Violet" using Cadmium Red light and Cobalt Blue unless you like vivid Brown color. People always advice to use Red and Blue to mix violet, but I studied this "lesson" when I was 6 years old or less when I painted my first abstract expressionism watercolor mess.

Hi Gigalot, thanks for the input.

I don't disagree with you. Learning about specific pigments is important at some point, but beginners should get the big picture on the general principles first, otherwise they will forever be chasing after pigments and memorizing mixtures and not understanding the core concepts behind color mixing.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2017, 09:21 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Nice videos! I enjoyed watching them.

For introducing the basic principles of color mixing, with examples, but without getting into theory, I think they work well.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by opainter
Nice videos! I enjoyed watching them.

For introducing the basic principles of color mixing, with examples, but without getting into theory, I think they work well.

Thank you!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 02:45 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Good video, and I am one that agrees with the principles you have presented, and it is what I have always used.
I believe that you are correct that red, yellow, and blue can't be mixed from other, different colors.
Merely tweaking a red or a blue is a parlor trick that does not qualify as being a different color.
Magenta is already a powerful, vibrant red, with a small blue bias, Cyan is already a vibrant blue, with a small yellow bias. Tweaking magenta merely kills the blue in it revealing the existing red color, and tweaking cyan merely kills the yellow in it revealing the existing blue color. The red or blue that is left remaining in those mixes will also be slightly duller than a single pigment red or blue because of the neutral mixed component.
Most everyone agrees that Yellow can't be mixed. However, using the very same logic of those who believe that a red and blue can be mixed from other different colors, a yellow (with a bias) can be tweaked in the same fashion, but it loses so much in chroma and value that it is not accepted as a true yellow color, although it may be just that.

Understanding this type of principle is one reason why I think your tutorial is dead on accurate.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 01-04-2018 at 02:58 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
Most everyone agrees that Yellow can't be mixed.

Couldn't until recently. Try mixing Green Gold (PY 129) + Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) and a touch of Titanium White (PW 6). The result will be a dull yellow.

* Yes, I know Green Gold is classified as a yellow, but it's really special because it's yellow in undertone, but distinctly green in masstone. Also, some versions are greener than others, but even those versions should work.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 AM
Halifax, NS, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
Good video, and I am one that agrees with the principles you have presented, and it is what I have always used.
I believe that you are correct that red, yellow, and blue can't be mixed from other, different colors.
Merely tweaking a red or a blue is a parlor trick that does not qualify as being a different color.
Magenta is already a powerful, vibrant red, with a small blue bias, Cyan is already a vibrant blue, with a small yellow bias. Tweaking magenta merely kills the blue in it revealing the existing red color, and tweaking cyan merely kills the yellow in it revealing the existing blue color. The red or blue that is left remaining in those mixes will also be slightly duller than a single pigment red or blue because of the neutral mixed component.
Most everyone agrees that Yellow can't be mixed. However, using the very same logic of those who believe that a red and blue can be mixed from other different colors, a yellow (with a bias) can be tweaked in the same fashion, but it loses so much in chroma and value that it is not accepted as a true yellow color, although it may be just that.

Understanding this type of principle is one reason why I think your tutorial is dead on accurate.

Thanks for your insight, we are like-minded
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Youtube videos of your original art are acceptable, but to enhance the WC Community itself, I suggest you upload some of your finished works here on WetCanvas.
Thank you.