WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Acryla gouache

Naturally run out of tit. white and went looking for replacement. Picked up some acrylic gouache. I understand the basic properties of the paint that regular gouache will reactivate if wet while acrylic will be waterproof. My thought process is to follow bird paintings by Roger Tory Peterson who by my info. did work on paper mounted on board and acrylic and gouache. My interpretation is to mount watercolour paper on board and underpaint with acrylic and do highlights in gouache. That's what I'd tried and to some success.
I want to make sure that Acryla are mixable with regular gouache. Actually I'm going to substitute the Acryla tit. white with the regular gouache and do highlights on top of an acrylic underpainting. Right idea?
Oh, another thought is that Acryla can be mixed with acrylic mediums right? Can I also use Liquitex acrylic flow release effectively with the Acryla?
(see pics below of a couple of tries with this method)
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Re: Acryla gouache

Both the paintings came off great.

I tried an Acryla starter set but ran out of white in a flash. At that time I could not find a large tube of white. So, I went to casein.

If you try mixing Acryla with acrylic medium, please post the results here. I tried mixing Liquitex Blending Medium with Casein. Nothing terrible happened but I did not care for the way that it came off the brush.

Gary
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Winsor and Newtons site has an article about mixing acrylic mediums with regular gouache. Which it states you can do.
//http://www.winsornewton.com/na/discover/tips-and-techniques/gouache/how-to-use-mediums-with-designers-gouache
I have turner acrylic gouache and have used it with Liquitexes pallette wetting spray and Jo Sanja’s flow medium, witch is designed for acrylic gouache, with no adverse reactions. My understanding is that acrylic gouache, is really acrylic paint with a higher pigment load to obtain matteness, therefor it should be compatible with all acrylic mediums or additives. Acrylic gouache uses the word gouache really to describe a characteristic of the paint (matteness), as opposed to working properties. It behaves like acrylics not like traditional gouache, at least from my limited experience. I would assume that if mixed together that the polymer resins in the acrylic gouache would try to bond with the pigment particles in the regular gouache, and I guess depending on how much regular gouache and/or water added that it all would in essence turn into acrylic gouache? I have never tried this, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, as I am very interested myself to learn how the paint will behave.
I think they came out great. I especially like the one of the right.

Last edited by Misspris : 12-02-2017 at 11:02 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

That Winsor and Newton link isn't quite correct. It should be http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disco...igners-gouache