WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Pen Painting

Hi

I am studying the art of dutch pen painting, as done by the master marine artist Willem Van Der Velde. I am hoping to attempt a copy of a section of one of his panels. I have done some studying on this, but would like a bit of advice.

From my research so far I have found out the following.

The technique is to have a wooden panel, primed with lead white, then either a white or brownish ground layer above (some sources say this layer is course) The panel is then left 3 months to dry, so that it is hard enough to take the pen work. Sharp quills are used to create the detailed drawing, with brush and wash work in other sections, such as the clouds and background.

I'm not exactly sure what paint to use on the layer above the primer, a regular oil paint of my required colour/tone? Also what is the best primer to use, I suppose lead white is hard to get in the UK?

I mostly draw ships and the sea with graphite, polychrome and sometimes pen and ink, so i have no experience priming panels and doing the oil underlay.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Re: Pen Painting

An example of one of Willem van de Velde's pen paintings.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...attle_1666.jpg

And a panel for sale, with some more basic details on the technique.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/...02/lot.32.html
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

Are you wanting to replicate the process and materials as closely as possible or do you want to emulate the style of pen and brush work but perhaps more modern materials?

What type of inks are you going to use? That would have some bearing on what type of ground you want to prepare.

You might try asking this question in the pen and ink forum.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 01:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Belleville ,Ontario

Hails from Canada

Those pen paintings are so detailed. I have no idea how to go about it but wish you all the best in your endeavour. And will look forward to seeing your work in future.

Elinor
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

If you want a smooth surface, then acrylic gesso layered thinly (using a damp brush) a couple of times on a birch panel, with sanding in between should provide a good ground. If you want a rougher surface, do the same without sanding. If you want the wood grain to show, use a clear acrylic gesso. Hope to get to see the result - best wishes!