WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 AM

How glazzing does work over grisaille ?

Hi !

Can you give me an outline of how optical mixing works in underpainting?

Unfortunately in my art institute didn't explain me this enough and I am full of doubts which stop me to work seriously on my projects, so I ask your help so that I can understand better.

I do not fully understand the logic of working in the mixing and application of color when you are going to color a grisaille already finished.

What I know: After solving your painting tonally, you apply thin and almost transparent layers of paint, over several sessions, until you get the color you need

What I dont understand: How is the transition from one color to another ?

Perhaps the goal here is getting the colors by its complementary? So I have to paint progressively thin layers of red to paint a foliage until I get the green? If so how many layers should I apply?

I'll appreciate your messages.

Thanks !
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 08:09 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: How glazzing does work over grisaille ?

Optical mixing is here:
http://www.huevaluechroma.com/044.php
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,

The following video presents a summary of a still life using glazes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKdB2CRqFbo
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Hello again,

I am sorry for just giving out that link in that annoying language, but I thought that you could take some advantage by watching a demonstration.

Now, in painting sometimes you need to grab more than one technique to achieve your goal, and glazing is just one of many. An underpainting can be completely covered with opaque paint, or with a combination of opaque-transparent layers, whatever you consider that suits your needs. Or just with glazes, you need to consider the color of the underlayer, because it will influence the glaze or glazes.

A shadow for instance, which is cool, can be create with a glaze over an warm opaque color, the shadow will be there, but transparent, allowing the viewer to see the object, mass behind the shadow.

Due to the uncertainty of the final color result of glaze over a specific color, artists create Glaze Color chart for reference, others use a square glass that they place over their painting and apply the glaze to check the result before actually applying the paint on the canvas.

It would be good idea to get a copy of the book Oil painting for the beginner by Frederic Taubes, it contains good material related to this topic.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

HI Gina,

May I ask, at your art institute:
How are they creating the grisaille?
That is, which paints are you taught to use to create the underpainting?

~Truly monochrome grey? If yes, which paint mix?

~An earth colouring? If yes, which earth?

~Just a dull-ish version of the painting? If yes, what mix of paints?

~Which paint tubes are in your working palette for the painting you are working on for the glazing?

It helps so much to know the practical context to provide informed answers, I think. Cheers!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
Hi,

Superb! Thank you!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
Hi,

That is a truly excellent video depicting the glazing process. That is nearly step-for-step exactly the way I perform my glazing technique. I wish I could have understood the language, because from what I caught of it, with my limited knowledge, he seemed to be describing some of his color mixes.

I appreciated the way he used very little, or no medium for his paint application. This is the way the glazing process is to be performed. Notice the way this painter used very small, pointy brushes, yet he actually scrubbed the paint on with them? He was using his brush to "draw with paint", and that is almost exactly the way I work when glazing. I learned a little technique that I realize I should employ more often......He used a small, dry brush to perform blending in small areas, immediately after having applied his paint. That is a very good technique. And, I should do more of it.

Excellent video.
I have not ever seen a better demonstration for describing an appropriate glazing process, from start to finish than this one! I really want to thank you for posting that video.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

It would be wonderful for a Spanish speaker who may share the salient points in the video It so nice to listen to the voice of the painter.

Back to the OP...

Quote:
What I dont understand: How is the transition from one color to another ? Perhaps the goal here is getting the colors by its complementary?

Seems to be a core part of the inquiry.

Perhaps Gina will return and view the thread... maybe not.... time will tell.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolinskyRed
It would be wonderful for a Spanish speaker who may share the salient points in the video It so nice to listen to the voice of the painter.

I was planning to make a translation, but Frankly I have no time.

Sorry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot

Hello Gigalot.
This link seems to provide very educational information about colour... I hope I can reach a better understanding of my questions, I guess when you are seeking for answers in your own way is not as easy going as it is in the academy

Anyway, thanks.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 11:33 AM

Hello Gigalot.
This link seems to provide very educational information about colour... I hope I can reach a better understanding of my questions, I guess when you are seeking for answers in your own way is not as easy going as it is in the academy

Anyway, thanks.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

HI Gina, any thoughts? Or perhaps you have your answer now? Great! But if not, and you would like to share some details (see below), I could take the time to give you some focused concepts specific to your paint set. But if you've got what you need, happy painting!

Quote:

May I ask, at your art institute:
How are they creating the grisaille?
That is, which paints are you taught to use to create the underpainting?

~Truly monochrome grey? If yes, which paint mix?

~An earth colouring? If yes, which earth?

~Just a dull-ish version of the painting? If yes, what mix of paints?

~Which paint tubes are in your working palette for the painting you are working on for the glazing?

It helps so much to know the practical context to provide informed answers, I think. Cheers!

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 12-02-2017 at 11:59 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Hi Humbaba

There is no trouble with the vid since I am spanish speaker so I guess do you

Your post help me to understand a bit better so there is to muuuuuch to analize. I hope I can find that book around there, and using a glass to paint over through the picture is a great idea !

Thanks for the suggestions !
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

I'll keep this in mind,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina dada
I'll appreciate your messages.

Good luck, Gina, it would be wonderful to see your results
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
HI Gina, any thoughts? Or perhaps you have your answer now? Great! But if not, and you would like to share some details (see below), I could take the time to give you some focused concepts specific to your paint set. But if you've got what you need, happy painting!

Hi !

Is not so easy to approach a person who take a time to give a personalized answet about issues, so thank you.
I stil have important questions but I will reply you first.

I just know the underpainting based on monochrome in whick ivory black and titanium white are mixed to give a wide range of scales of grey, In this stage it was necesary to paint with acrylics to reach a quick review of the process. And it was expected to paint in the later process of work with acrylics, even when you were able to change it for oil painting. Finally you must had a completed painting with its right lights and shadows. From here I began with glazzing process, painting with very thin layers of paint. So, if I was painting a white skin, it was taught me to paint lights with orange and shadows with green.

I remember have used in my palette ultramarine blue, yellow leemon, ocher, alizarin crimson

I never understood, for example, why green was used for shadows... what a shame.

So, I am open for your comments

Thanls again.