WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Winter Sunrise

I tried this first on Bristol board and completely screwed it up. I've never tried this board before, and now realize (for me) that it's unsuitable for pen and ink and wash. I did this again on 140 lb Arches hot pressed paper, using a variety of Staedtler pens and some wash. I find pen and ink a high wire act after watercolours, as it's so final. No lifting, scrubbing or modification. What you put on the paper/board is it. 7" x 11". Comments and suggestion always welcome of course.
John

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Winter Sunrise

Interesting John, the wash part is perfectly exquisite , I can only envy that !
The pen part umm...... To my preferences & understanding (for what they're worth !) -I feel you need to use a finer pen throughout the piece & not just have the black silhouetting effect.
Maybe the smallest 0.05 size, Unipin are smallest & best, along with their 0.1 as well much could be done at this scale.

I feel the fence in the foreground done with the 0.05 could have been done with very close varying grain lines giving flicks of light & life to the otherwise black (dead) fence.
The second line of posts might have been outlined without filling them in totally black.
The frontmost three trees could have been less black & the branches get finer & more detailed ,likewise with the two black trees on the right.

I feel that your very considerable water colour skills are not stepping back far enough ( God knows - very understandable !) to integrate pen & ink in this one.
In P&I generally speaking the foreground is explicitly detailed & then receding into the distance the lines become broken, finer & more suggested rather than hard - It is in this way that you can suggest the atmospheric perspective.
I think to bear this in mind would do wonders in the balance of such a scene & justify your simply wonderful wash handling.

Mike

PS. Could I trouble you to do a very quick tutorial on handling wash ? do you use ink or W/C ? I'm just getting into it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Mike. I agree with your suggestions. I work small so I can scan these in, although I photographed this with my iPhone 7 and uploaded it to the desktop. I think nibs were in order on this one, and I must try some out in future. I tried to get some fine detail on the rails but it got filled in. I no longer even try to use Indian Ink diluted as a wash as I can't seem to get the hang of it.

I use a watercolour wash made from Antwerp Blue and Brown Madder and just a touch of Sepia. I mix that up into a fairly thick mixture and then dilute to suit. I nearly always have this on my palette anyway. My years of painting watercolour on 300 lb Arches cold pressed means some adjustment to hot pressed, but the diluted ink is so final - you can't do anything with it once it's on. Watercolour wash gives you some latitude as you can soften the edges and lift out areas I did with the sunrise effect. I used a 3/4" flat brush and put a wash over the sky area, waited a few seconds and then lifted out the sun with a wet tissue tightly squeezed into a small ball on one end.. Then I was able to soften the edges a bit. With 300 lb Arches cold pressed, you have forever to play around of course, but it's useless for pen work.
John
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

Hmmm... I think you did very well with wash. The foreground trees and fence are maybe a little overly stark and graphic to my tastes, but that's not keeping me from really liking what you've done here. Very nice!

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Beautiful work, John!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You pulled it off John, it's beautiful.

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

[quote=Watercolour lover I tried to get some fine detail on the rails but it got filled in. I no longer even try to use Indian Ink diluted as a wash as I can't seem to get the hang of it.
I use a watercolour wash made from Antwerp Blue and Brown Madder and just a touch of Sepia. I mix that up into a fairly thick mixture and then dilute to suit. I nearly always have this on my palette anyway. My years of painting watercolour on 300 lb Arches cold pressed means some adjustment to hot pressed, but the diluted ink is so final - you can't do anything with it once it's on. Watercolour wash gives you some latitude as you can soften the edges and lift out areas I did with the sunrise effect. I used a 3/4" flat brush and put a wash over the sky area, waited a few seconds and then lifted out the sun with a wet tissue tightly squeezed into a small ball on one end.. Then I was able to soften the edges a bit. With 300 lb Arches cold pressed, you have forever to play around of course, but it's useless for pen work.
John[/quote]

Thanks for that John although I'm not sure how much it'll help me , other than clarify a genuine paradox about using wash with pen !
Just as you point out to handle the water media wash part quality W/C paint & W/C paper is necessary BUT the pen line work will not work well nor sit well on such paper .
Thus pen & wash ends up to be a compromise & is usually used as a quick plein air technique used to capture the scene quickly & economically.
I recently came across a new paper which to my bumbling novice wash technique sets the compromise between pen & wash in a different place - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1435791 maybe it might be of interest to you ?
Cheers Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 11-28-2017 at 04:38 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Elgin SC (work in Savannah)

Hails from United States

This made me cold..stop it. lol... jk. very nice atmosphere.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks everyone for dropping by, and the comments are helpful as usual.

Mike: Thanks for the tip about the new Aqufine hot pressed paper, and my local dealer here in Collingwood, Ontario, where I now live, is looking to see if it's available. I always like to keep an open mind about art supplies although this is likely to be about $27 a sheet by the time it gets here. Not the sort of thing I would do on a regular basis, but hell - Christmas is coming!
John
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Lord of the Arts

I do hope you're joking John $27 a sheet !
PM. me & we'll sort something.
Mike
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Well done!

Jan
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 07:44 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Lovely composition John - and atmosphere ...... brrrrr ..... we've got the snow part here today, about an inch in 30 mins!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Yorkshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

A very lovely scene, beautifully done with a wonderful sky!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedlars pen
I do hope you're joking John $27 a sheet !
PM. me & we'll sort something.
Mike
Arches is not $27 a sheet anywhere.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Very beautiful rendering
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago