WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 AM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States
Timber Wolf

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Timber Wolf
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 22x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm just not feeling this piece. I like some parts but as a whole something is off. I am going to fix the tree by his nose to be more 3 dimensional by adding darker colors on the edge.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any help in appreciated
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States
Re: Timber Wolf

I like this one a lot, I think it would improve by emphasizing a focal point a bit more. At the present it feels somewhat uniform with the rough fur texture and rough background texture. I think "smoothing" and darkening the green behind him would draw more focus to the eye, which is a really sharp and interesting point of the painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States

Gosh that might be an easy fix thanks for your help
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Worth a shot anyway, it can be easily re-texturized if you don't like it!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 AM

I think it's very expressive. Just a suggestion - you have blue on the nose and very little on the fur - what if you make the shadow blue-ish...Like underline the difference between warm and cool color would maybe make the artwork with more contrast. I can't really understand where is your light source...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States

Very good point. This is many different references mixed. So I see now that the light source in mixed also. Lol thank you now I see it with different eyes. Can't wait to rework it.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

The background is so strong & textured , it does distract from the wolf..
a softer blurred background would work well I think..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States

I have totally reworked this wolf bringing the forehead and top ear down. They seem to have stretched out of proportion. I removed the tree behind him. Also smoothing his fur a bit. Just need some highlights, then I will post him again. Thanks so much for you help I like him much better already.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:47 AM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

Wow a lot of comments from people who donít know what they are talking about. Donít take any advice from this thread. Never take advise from a person who does not paint at a higher level than you. You need to improve your drawing skills. This is the main problem I see with many self taught painters Iíd stop painting for a few months and work on drawing Excersises. You also have an issue with your values, big time. Also, you do not have a grasp on colour. After you do Loomis drawing exercise, I would move on to painting monochromeís, no colour.
Skilled painters generally have proffesional training. Iíd recommend you get some training as self taught artists are at a giant disadvantage. Itís sad. Getting a critique from someone with out a trained eye will do damage to your art which is why you shouldnít ask for critiques on this site. Good paintings have strong drawing, bang on values, strong compositions,correct edges and interesting colour work.

Last edited by westy1980 : 12-09-2017 at 07:57 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I love all the texture in this painting!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Southeast Idaho

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy1980
Wow a lot of comments from people who donít know what they are talking about. Donít take any advice from this thread. Never take advise from a person who does not paint at a higher level than you. You need to improve your drawing skills. This is the main problem I see with many self taught painters Iíd stop painting for a few months and work on drawing Excersises. You also have an issue with your values, big time. Also, you do not have a grasp on colour. After you do Loomis drawing exercise, I would move on to painting monochromeís, no colour.
Skilled painters generally have proffesional training. Iíd recommend you get some training as self taught artists are at a giant disadvantage. Itís sad. Getting a critique from someone with out a trained eye will do damage to your art which is why you shouldnít ask for critiques on this site. Good paintings have strong drawing, bang on values, strong compositions,correct edges and interesting colour work.
I appreciate your comments. Just curious where did you get the info "self taught". Also this is a new technique to me, a blend of impressionistic fingerpainting and detailed brush work.
I have asked for help on fixing this piece because of my dissatisfaction with it. Can you offer specific changes to improve?
Please see earlier post stating what I have reworked on him.