WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Post Need help with my mixed media scrapbook cover

Hi everyone! I am brand new to mixed media, this is my first try and I do like the way it looks, besides the color. I am making this for my fiances' grandfather because they found a bunch of old letters and pictures from their family so its supposed to be a surprise for christmas.

Anyways I tried painting it all black then white with the intention of using the spray alcohol inks to make a gradient colored finish. I made my own alcohol inks with 91% alcohol and sharpie, but the colors aren't bright enough. Can I fix this? I hope so. It looks bad so any help would be great any and all recommendations to this would be fantastic. I'll be watching this thread closely so I'll be around in case you have more questions for me. Also Ill attach an image of the colored look I was going for.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Need help with my mixed media scrapbook cover

I'm confused...is yours the image at the top and you want it to look more like the one at the bottom, or other way round?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I think the top colored one is the one she wants to emulate. Bottom is the one she has done but doesn't like. Both are very nice!

Destini, welcome! Why not make it easy on yourself and simply do a quick turquoise spray paint over what you have done? Not much, just a fast spritz.
It's very nice work
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Hails from United States

What about using a resist to block off items to no be colored in between color applications. Maybe something like petroleum jelly or wax (haven't tried it myself)?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Or even use a white crayon!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Oh my gosh I am so sorry I have not responded faster! I waited for replies and finally talked myself into being embarrassed that I posted my first try at mixed media on here. When you say "Spritz" What exactly are you referring to? There are so many kinds that I about lost my mind trying to pick one, so I chose to get gelatos instead LOL. Please share with me which brand I should purchase I would be so thankful. Then I would be happy to try what you are saying to do, but I just feel like it needs something else added to it, it just isn't good enough yet (I mean the whole album cover needs more:Flowers? or Jewels? something!). Any suggestions? Thank you guys so so much for your responses.

Last edited by destinip : 12-01-2017 at 10:06 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Oh by the way please tell me where I can improve I think that the letters in Lineage are to spread out. Am I right? Should I just try again? Be honest, I mean it's just a scrapbook they come a dime a dozen. It doesn't have any pages in it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

By spritz I mean just a quick spray of Krylon paint; they come in all colors at WalMart or Sherwin Williams. I think having your Lineage letters closer together helps it read better. Otherwise it is good to go, very nicely done, now hop on down here to Texas and do one for me.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Destini, I think your effort looks impressive. As Kay says, the spray paint should do the trick - try to keep it fading into the grey areas in places.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I think it looks lovely - has that 'shabby chic' look to it.

I make my own sprays with just acrylic paint and water, and spray from a distance... (practice first on spare paper) - that might be cheaper than alcohol sprays proper.
Another thing you could try is just to rub a tiny bit of acrylic paint lightly over the surface with the tip of your finger, just catching the raised up parts, it would pick out the textured areas a bit more.

It's absolutely fine as it is though!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Another set of here. Really great start into mixed media!

I haven't done this kind of assemblage before, so my suggestions are limited. One suggestion I feel comfortable enough to share is to work on creating additional relationships between the shapes and textures that you use in your compositions. For example, the lacy background texture is really nicely repeated in the square/rectangular frames, and the scroll work of the frames relates well to the medallion in the top left. The deer and the letters are less connected, but colour is working for you there.

The neutral palette is very unifying, so when you begin to add colour, it could feel at first that you start to lose that unity/harmony, but you'll know when it is starting to feel right again.

Oh and I have an artist to recommend to you: you may like the work and the videos of Gary Reef, a talented Aussie mixed media artist.

Will look forward to seeing the evolution! Cheers,