WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States
Speaking about Bob Ross.....

I was reading the oil painting forum and member Humbaba posted about this.
Here's an instructonal video by a guest artist he had. Ben Stahl, who I'm ashamed to say I am not familair with. I think it's the best overall art/painting instructional video I've seen. He does a portrait, which I don't do portraits, but still, what he is saying and doing sounds so right, and it applies to any medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHJB0IBnuD4

Last edited by john : 11-24-2017 at 02:49 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 03:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Speaking about Bob Ross.....

thanks, that got me off on a tangent of john singer sargent and lady agnew

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

You are very welcome La. That video looks excellent. I would be ecstatic if I could get close to that.

I think it's interesting that Stahl was saying things that sounded like direct criticism of Ross's methods.

At some point I have to try some portraiture and I don't have a clue about how to procede. I really could use to watch some of these vids and follow along. The Stahl one seems a little more doable for me and I think I like the loose look better.

Are you painting along with that Sargeant video?

Last edited by john : 11-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

That was awesome! He was 77 the year he did this and died the next year. I've saved it to watch again.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 07:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
You are very welcome La. That video looks excellent. I would be ecstatic if I could get close to that.

I think it's interesting that Stahl was saying things that sounded like direct criticism of Ross's methods.

At some point I have to try some portraiture and I don't have a clue about how to procede. I really could use to watch some of these vids and follow along. The Stahl one seems a little more doable for me and I think I like the loose look better.

Are you painting along with that Sargeant video?

I didn't get a sense of criticism from Stahl at all, just working differently.
I've traced lady agnew, but have yet to transfer her to canvas ... torn between her and a couple of surrealism notions floating around in my head. [speaking of differences, holy cow ]
Do watch the video, it's long, but quite informative with the many plains of values.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM

I think his paintings are 3rd rate. The one he did for Bob Ross was pleasant looking, but simple and cartoonish. It has no three dimensional depth to the face or anything else. His work is a bit amateurish and crude. I've seen lots of artwork that is much better.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

These guys weren't making any pretense about making great art. The idea was to encourage people to start painting.

Jon Gnagy did the same thing on television with drawing many years before. His methodology is still quite sound.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I worked with a guy in the UK many years ago named Tony Hart on an art TV series. He wasnt what one could describe as a great artist. However, that wasn't what he wanted to be. All he ever wanted to do was encouraged children to create art. One kid that watched his program (among millions ) was Nick Park, the creator of Wallace and Grommit. Many artists paid tribute to him when he died several years ago and said how they were encouraged by him.

Some people want to be famous, others like to encourage others, most have merit of one form or another.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I worked with a guy in the UK many years ago named Tony Hart on an art TV series.

Dude... you worked with the Tony Hart? I used to love that guy when I was a kid.
Did you ever meet Morph?

Dave's Website.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:03 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Too bad that Tony Hart series apparently did not air in the US. I don't recall seeing it. Morph is certainly a cute little trickster!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by opainter
Too bad that Tony Hart series apparently did not air in the US. I don't recall seeing it. Morph is certainly a cute little trickster!

It did show here in South Africa, cultural boycott or not. Though if truth be told, I remember it more for Morph than anything else. :-)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPriestley
Dude... you worked with the Tony Hart? I used to love that guy when I was a kid.
Did you ever meet Morph?

I met morph quite a lot, David. We never really saw eye to eye, but that's probably because he was less than six inches tall 😊

Also, David. I gave you a present in the Christmas thread, but I don't think you got it. Although it was a little late.

Last edited by ianuk : 12-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

John, I enjoyed watching, in fact, I felt like I wanted to grab some brushes and start painting portraits!!! This guy just made it look so easy, as though anyone could do it.

I did cringe a bit when Stahl said "never paint pretty" or something similar, as it sounded a bit like a criticism of Bob

“Good Art is not what it looks like, but what it does to us" Roy Adzak
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaScapePtr
I think his paintings are 3rd rate. The one he did for Bob Ross was pleasant looking, but simple and cartoonish. It has no three dimensional depth to the face or anything else. His work is a bit amateurish and crude. I've seen lots of artwork that is much better.

Yeah, I was more enamored with the things he said. And he made doing a portrait look easy which for me is attractive because portraiture seems hard to me.

Last edited by john : 12-09-2017 at 12:10 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
John, I enjoyed watching, in fact, I felt like I wanted to grab some brushes and start painting portraits!!! This guy just made it look so easy, as though anyone could do it.

I did cringe a bit when Stahl said "never paint pretty" or something similar, as it sounded a bit like a criticism of Bob

I felt the same way. Just like Ross, he makes painting look do-able. Glad you liked it. I may have gotten a little over excited about it but it's one of the better instructional vids I've seen.