WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 12:28 PM
A Local Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Launch

HMS Belfast launches her Walrus amphibian by catapult
23" X 16"
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  90.5 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Launch

Another great composition Jim,well painted.
Dave
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2017, 05:01 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Scotland

Thanks Dave. I don't like painting part ships, but I wanted to keep the Walrus at a reasonable size.
Jim
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 PM

Hails from United States

Really nice painting. You were right in painting a partial ship, I think.

Do you use a ruler to help paint your rigging? I can't paint a straight line for the life of me. I actually cheated and used painter's tape to get my horizon line on my last seascape.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 03:44 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon Reams
Really nice painting. You were right in painting a partial ship, I think.

Do you use a ruler to help paint your rigging? I can't paint a straight line for the life of me. I actually cheated and used painter's tape to get my horizon line on my last seascape.

Thank you for commenting. As for the ruler. Sometimes I use one, but mostly not. If it is a large painting I would probably do the line lightly with a ruler, in pencil as a guide. I think much more important is that it should look right, not nessecary exact, but it should look like it is doing its job. I've seen excellent paintings spoiled because the rigging consists of a mast and a thinner line. Like doing a portrait with square eyes, because 'I can't draw circles'
Tip. If you don't want to do much rigging, paint the ship with the sails 'bellying' towards you, ie the wind in your face. Most rigging is from behind the mast. If you paint it going away from you, wind at your back, about 90% of the rigging will be exposed.
Hope this helps
Jim
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskip
Thank you for commenting. As for the ruler. Sometimes I use one, but mostly not. If it is a large painting I would probably do the line lightly with a ruler, in pencil as a guide. I think much more important is that it should look right, not nessecary exact, but it should look like it is doing its job. I've seen excellent paintings spoiled because the rigging consists of a mast and a thinner line. Like doing a portrait with square eyes, because 'I can't draw circles'
Tip. If you don't want to do much rigging, paint the ship with the sails 'bellying' towards you, ie the wind in your face. Most rigging is from behind the mast. If you paint it going away from you, wind at your back, about 90% of the rigging will be exposed.
Hope this helps
Jim

That is an EXCELLENT tip!! 😀 I wouldn't of thought of that at all. It proves which one of us is a navy man!

The last ship I painted was in my high school days (and I'm nearing 50yo) But the subject has always fascinated me. I think if I get a break in commissions I may do one again.

I'm currently doing a commission that I GUESS could be considered Marine Art. Painting an underwater mermaid, corals, etc. Debating on whether I should post progress pics or not.

At any rate, your work definitely inspires me to once again paint a sailing vessel. I really enjoy your pieces. All are well done, and most importantly, all are very authentic. That is something many paintings of this genre lack.

Thanks again for the tip!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Norddeutschland

Hails from Germany

Fantastic! Great job.

Joachim