WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Porcelain Doll in Gouache

Found this little porcelain doll w/ pearl earing on Pinterest. This is my first real painting, besides little doodles, or more art journal faces, simple flowers, ect.
Iíve been playing around with gouache, after coming over from watercolors. Sheís taken me days, and still not done. Iím working on the lace now, which is very difficult. But before Iím finished with her, I would like any advice or gentle critique I can get. This is my first time posting my art work. I am self taught and just do it for my own enjoyment.

I just finally got a good light of 5000K after using a bulb with like 2700K, and once I changed my bulb, it is so much better, but it seems like all the hues changes, and I could see a lot more detail in the reference photo, so I tried to adjust the painting, but I told myself to stop, I think I was tinkering too much. Thanks!

Credit on photo
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 PM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Porcelain Doll in Gouache

I really like this, youíve done a beautiful job. youíve captured her sadness. I love how you have rendered the softness of the dress and the folds in the fabric of her head scarf.

My only critique would be to soften the lines around her nose, but thatís just a tiny thing. Really good work on this.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Very nice work.
Regards
Greg
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Hails from United States

I think you've done very well and look forward to seeing it finished. I do agree with Ann about softening the lines around her nose but it is a small thing. Can't believe you're undertaking all that lace detail but it will really make the painting when you've finished.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2017, 01:34 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. The lace is tricky. Iíve been trying to do a dry brush effect to imitate lace, and some negative painting. Iíve never done lace, so we shall see how it turns out.

Iíve gone and softened up the nose lines. The face was very difficult for me. I could have just used the gouache very watered down like watercolors, and would have gotten a good result, but I wanted to try and use gouache the way it is intended, by adding white instead, but she just ended up getting darker and muddier. I think it had something to do with the warm yellow light I was using.

I trying to figure out how to go about the black background, since it is about half the area of the painting, and getting a nice smooth streak free coverage, might prove difficult w/ gouache, or so Iív heard.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 PM

Re: Porcelain Doll in Gouache - Finished Work

I think sheís done. I really challenged myself with this one. The lace was the hardest, and I wasnít sure how to go about it, I know I have room for improvement, but I learnt a lot from this painting, and I already have an idea for my next one. This painting is about 5X7.5in. Any CC welcome.
Not sure why the uploader is making the pic look a little fuzzy. Thanks
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

A really nice painting and the lace is rendered beautifully. I often paint in the evening and I have a desk lamp with a "daylight" bulb - it gives a cooler light than ordinary bulbs.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Remote - South Australia

Hails from Australia

Very good example of well executed gouache Misspris. The picture is looking fuzzy due to the low dpi (dots per inch) that we use on this site. My paintings are very detailed, I also have noticed they never reproduce sharp here. Beautiful work Miss.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 09:34 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I am always impressed with a good gouache painting. For me it was a hard medium to control.

The face and the dress are good. The detail on the lace is amazing.

Gary
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 03:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, Florida

I like this for sure.