WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Bleaching Help

Iím trying to figure out how to do a bleach painting on black canvas with some embroidered line art on it later after it dries. Iím having trouble finding unprimed black canvas, since it doesnít sound like a good idea to combine the primer with bleach so Iíd rather play it safe. Iím thinking Iíll have to make my own canvas and was wondering if there were any suggestions from anyone about:
1. Best fabric to use? (as in less likely to get holes from bleach)
2. Would a bleach pen work well for fine line?
3. Is a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water really a bleach stop/neutralizer?
4. Would synthetic brushes be okay to paint with or shoukd I try to stick to natural bristles?
Thank you for your time!
(Also I plan to do the embroidery with white or red thread, as a sort of drawn wreath/halo of pomegranates and their blossoms.)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Bleaching Help

I have done bleaching. Yes the vinegar and water works

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2008/...ng-with-bleach

I followed these directions.

You need to work FAST and her spray technique does just that.
I would suggest you pick up some plain black 100% cotton and play with it first.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanks, LenaB!
I just picked up some black linen duck canvas (unprimed), and due to sale and coupon have some spare fabric for experimenting.
Iíd also read the same article before and used it to guide my initial purchases, but itís good to know that Iíd been reading the correct information.

I guess from here Iíll just post updates as I get to bew challenges and maybe ask for some stitch advice in a week or two.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

The reality of this technique is that you have very little control. It will teach you to let go and go with what ever happens. Some people find this difficult.

I strongly suggest picking up some old cotton garments from a second hand shop and going to town on them before using the good fabric.

Also wash your fabric. There is always some sizing/ chemicals used in the production.