WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:14 PM
USA

Anyone had 2017 Art Show success?

Was just wondering if anyone here had any success on Art Shows or Festivals this past year?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Anyone had 2017 Art Show success?

Sure. November was a good month for three of my watercolors in the Guadalupe Watercolor Club annual show. And earlier this year was good for acceptance in the Texas Watercolor Society annual show.

And I sell something or other on FAA every month or two.

Now...waiting for news of my November entry for the American Watercolor Society 2018 show...

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Not sure what you mean by "success," but I've been in six shows this year (waiting for a response about the seventh) and I've sold several pieces so I'm pretty happy about that.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 02:33 PM
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Ed
Not sure what you mean by "success," but I've been in six shows this year (waiting for a response about the seventh) and I've sold several pieces so I'm pretty happy about that.

Great! By success I meant if you made 'some' money this time around because the past few years were pretty dead on art shows.

Was it worth it money wise?... if I may ask?!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

I only participated in one invitational plein air event this year. I sold one painting the day it was painted, a second one about a month later. The third is coming back with me the next time I visit the gallery where it is being stored. I was happy with selling 2/3rds.

There are 10 Plein Air events each year that are within easy traveling for us. We went to 1 this year, will hopefully do 4 or 5 next year.

Next year we will be doing our first art festival. I am not really expecting much though I hope we sell everything we take! Sadly it seems that what are billed as art festivals around here tend to have way too many non original art vendors and even sellers that don't have ANY art related stuff in their booths.

I know you didn't ask about gallery sales for 2017, but for me they were about the same as last year numbers wise, though I had 75% fewer pieces hanging due to illness and some other issues, so I guess you could say they were better when you consider the smaller showing.

There is one art festival we want to participate in some day that is probably the biggest and best within 500 miles, but the booth rental is about $800 and you have to be juried in. Original art only NO prints other than photography. No flea market stuff. Competition is fierce so I am told. I talked to a couple who has done it a few times. They said that they have sold more there than any other festivals by a huge margin, so I guess the admission fees are worth it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
I only participated in one invitational plein air event this year. I sold one painting the day it was painted, a second one about a month later. The third is coming back with me the next time I visit the gallery where it is being stored. I was happy with selling 2/3rds.

There are 10 Plein Air events each year that are within easy traveling for us. We went to 1 this year, will hopefully do 4 or 5 next year.

Next year we will be doing our first art festival. I am not really expecting much though I hope we sell everything we take! Sadly it seems that what are billed as art festivals around here tend to have way too many non original art vendors and even sellers that don't have ANY art related stuff in their booths.

I know you didn't ask about gallery sales for 2017, but for me they were about the same as last year numbers wise, though I had 75% fewer pieces hanging due to illness and some other issues, so I guess you could say they were better when you consider the smaller showing.

There is one art festival we want to participate in some day that is probably the biggest and best within 500 miles, but the booth rental is about $800 and you have to be juried in. Original art only NO prints other than photography. No flea market stuff. Competition is fierce so I am told. I talked to a couple who has done it a few times. They said that they have sold more there than any other festivals by a huge margin, so I guess the admission fees are worth it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you selling originals and prints? If so, which one does the best?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Just finishing a group show in a local artist led gallery. We booked the space and did all the work of hanging, organising preview, drinks, promotion. Gallery also has its own mailing list. As of tonight (day 5 of 6) we've sold 9 pictures (at decent prices) and goodness knows how many cards. There are 12 in the group. The lead was taken by one of the group who invited the others to join in. There was no selection of work and we all hung our own on an allocated section of wall drawn by lot. Despite that there was a great deal of coherence I think. We all share the same workshop/print space.

We are all printmakers (lino/silk screen/collagraph) so all originals no reproductions.

Pictures here:
https://twitter.com/i/moments/930713067024977920
https://twitter.com/i/moments/930444754080460801

I think this is good example of what can be achieved outside the gallery system by artists working together to self promote, especially if you are in or close to cities with strong cultural communities (in this case Bath in SW England)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4everyone
Thanks for the feedback!

Are you selling originals and prints? If so, which one does the best?

You are welcome. We only hang original work but we do offer prints of some pieces if the venue allows it. We keep them in bins, usually with a mat but sometimes just the print, in a poly bag. We don't do limited edition prints, but do sign them in pencil. We don't sell very many prints. We often give away prints as gifts. They can be good advertising plus many of my friends would not appreciate an original much more than a print, sadly. My 8x10 paintings sell for $425 to $575 framed, a matted print of the same is priced at $45.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4everyone
Great! By success I meant if you made 'some' money this time around because the past few years were pretty dead on art shows.

Was it worth it money wise?... if I may ask?!

I'm not a professional artist, so it's not a matter of putting food on the table, it's more like making up for all the money I spend on art supplies
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 AM
Lord of the Arts
North Yorkshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I finally sold an original this year at an art fair in the North of England, after a couple of years of doing this and only selling prints, although I have had two commissions as a result of exhibiting. I feel it is worthwhile purely from an advertising point of view. I have also sold three originals on an online gallery, although they take 35% commission on any sales, so not much profit there.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

This year I was in six art shows, sold four paintings. The best was a church show which was amazing for the hundreds of people who visited. Lots of paintings sold, including one of mine.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:21 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I had a brilliant year in 2016 and sold lots of original oil paintings and prints, but 2017 has been very quiet for me. The two galleries I show with say that buyers were buying quirky paintings. I was invited to an art fair with quite good attendance though snow did stops some venturing out but for the first time I didn't sell anything, very disappointing as it was a bit of a drive to the event and then had to travel again the following weekend to pick up the unsold work. Quite a few professional artists I have spoken to in America, UK and also Australia said they had no sales during 2017 for the first time! I am not sure why this is, if you know anything let us know, thank you.