WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Loving Vincent ... The Movie

Have any of you see or heard of this new animated film on the Life of Van Gogh?? I normally don't care for animated films but this one may be different and it's playing at a local theater. The trailer looked intriguing.
Here's a promo blurb on Loving Vincent:
"A mesmerizing take on the life and death of the artist Vincent Van Gogh, LOVING VINCENT is the first ever animated film to use oil painting as its basis. Each of the film’s 65,000 frames is an oil painting crafted by a team of 115 painters. A cinematic experience unlike anything you have seen. With the voice talents of Aiden Turner, Eleanor Tomlinson, Chris O’Dowd, Saoirse Ronan, and many more."

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England
Re: Loving Vincent ... The Movie

It's a superb rendition.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM
Immortalized

Glad you posted, I'd forgotten that I wanted to watch this film

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by laf.art
Glad you posted, I'd forgotten that I wanted to watch this film
Me too, but I'm waiting for the DVD to be released.

Dave's Website.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 PM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

They have been hyping it for years now. Don't know if it's finally available now; I have kind of given up hope that it will ever actually be released. :-)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

They were hyping it for years.. and some trivia now.
The majority of the artists that animated in the style of Van Gogh each and every frame of this movie, that were thousands ( so they made thousand paintings) were Polish and Greeks.
And guess what. The artists were not paid for their work but only for their everyday expenses, food and accommodation wherever they went to paint the frames. ( they went in various studios).

That is the reason why I'm NOT going to watch this movie at the theatres and not only that, I'm saying in public, I will download it in torrent and I will seed it to the end of its days to whoever wants to download it illegally. I will not give a eurocent to those who didn't bother to pay the artists that worked so hard to make this movie what it is.

Those who want to make movies with hand painted animated frames ought to pay decently and fairly those who worked for that job. Painters are not second class workers.
And as Greek saying says The silk pants are for skilled buttocks. If you don't have the budget for such kind of production then don't start a production like this.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvds
They have been hyping it for years now. Don't know if it's finally available now; I have kind of given up hope that it will ever actually be released. :-)

DVD

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

As an artist, I already SEE the movement in Van Gogh's painting and I just want to stop and contemplate it. They are paintings and we know how to look at them and live with them.
That being said, I saw it five days ago in Toronto. It's beautiful and well imagined. I believe I could sometimes tell that a different artist had painted a specific scene. I don't know about payment for the artists. It would have been better if the artists got stock in the movie. I want to look into that aspect of the production.
As with most movies, better see it on the big screen.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball

Already??

:e vil:

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarialenaS
I'm saying in public, I will download it in torrent and I will seed it to the end of its days to whoever wants to download it illegally

Oft evil will shall evil mar.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEmmett

Oft evil will shall evil mar.

I agree. They didn't pay the artists who painted thousand of frames for creating this specific kind of hand animated movie and so I will not pay them a cent to watch it as I don't want to finance such kind of production tactics.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Quote:
I agree. They didn't pay the artists who painted thousand of frames for creating this specific kind of hand animated movie and so I will not pay them a cent to watch it as I don't want to finance such kind of production tactics.

Marialena -- please give your source for this. I have spent about ten minutes searching this and don't see anything about whether or HOW the artists were paid.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:46 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Already??

:e vil:

No, not already. It plainly tells when it will be available.

You never realize what you have until it is gone. Toilet paper is a good example.
My work on Facebook
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu
Marialena -- please give your source for this. I have spent about ten minutes searching this and don't see anything about whether or HOW the artists were paid.

My source are some of my friends fellow artists who worked for this project and they were not paid for their work but only for their accommodation and food. (They couldn't have them sleeping in the streets of course).
But they were not paid with a regular salary too.
They joined the project because they thought that it would be a good promotion for their own work, but then they didn't get neither enough money to justify the amount of work nor any further publicity.

Of course you can't find anything online. They can'tcome forward to tell such a thing not to mention that they might be bound by contracts for not telling anything against the production company. Anyway. The matter is that none of them was satisfied, they worked like slaves to animate all the frames of the movie, they were 115 in the post production team and they painted 65.000 frames as paintings, so each of them painted about 565 paintings in about 3 years that they worked. ( and I count one year for the editing that probably was made manually too).

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
No, not already. It plainly tells when it will be available.

Who cares.. I'm not even interested any more to watch it.