WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Acrylic Pouring Questions

For those of you who have some experience with acrylic pourings - I have a few questions for you.

Type of Alcohol
Does it matter what kind of alcohol you use? I have 70% and 91% Isopropyl, as well as "Denatured" which is methylated ethanol, and 91% ethanol.

Are they interchangeable for pouring use? If not what differences will each produce with the pouring?

Bulk Silicone Oil vs Spray Cans
I would prefer some silicone oil that is in a non spray container, basically a bottle or can with a cap on it. Getting the silicone oil from the spray can into the paint is pretty messy, filling the air with the oil fumes, plus half of the contents of the can is the propellant, so it ends up costing more than double what you would pay for the same oil in a bottle. I would prefer to be able to just fill a measure with the right amount directly from a bottle. Any suggestions on brands to try that are NOT in a spray container?
Sheet Surfaces
I want to do some pourings 0n sheet materials rather than on panels or stretched canvas. What materials will give you a good bond with the acrylics, but are flexible enough to roll up for shipping? I would like to ship some work overseas. A rolled 36x48 painting costs a tiny fraction of what you have to pay for a 36x48 panel or wrapped canvas. I would prefer not to work on canvas.

The two surfaces that popped into my head were Yupo and Terraskin, the latter being the one I would prefer to work with which does come in 40" rolls. I am assuming that the acrylics will adhere better to the Terraskin?

Gold Leaf
For those of you who have added gold leaf to the finished pours, please post your hints and tips. I am assuming a clear coat would be beneficial to keep it from flaking off.

Painting On Top of a Dried Pour
Is there anything special that needs to be done if you want to paint with acrylics or oils on top of the dried pour? The only thing I could think of that might cause problems with adhesion would be silicone oil residue. Virtually NOTHING will stick to that stuff. If it must be removed, what is the best thing to remove it with? Alcohol is out, since that will dissolve the acrylics.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions / comments.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:02 PM
RI - Rhode Island

Hails from United States
Re: Acrylic Pouring Questions

Looks like your talking to the wall. Funny I was just watching some YouTube videos on alcohol and pouring last night. I found some very cool stuff but I don't think they addressed your questions.

Oh yeah, I saw to videos using both strengths of alcohol so I don't htink it matters.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Did not see this post until now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
Type of Alcohol
Does it matter what kind of alcohol you use? I have 70% and 91% Isopropyl, as well as "Denatured" which is methylated ethanol, and 91% ethanol.

Are they interchangeable for pouring use? If not what differences will each produce with the pouring?

I've used alcohol only once as experiment... did not get good results, so no hints here
Quote:
Quote:
Bulk Silicone Oil vs Spray Cans
I would prefer some silicone oil that is in a non spray container, basically a bottle or can with a cap on it. Getting the silicone oil from the spray can into the paint is pretty messy, filling the air with the oil fumes, plus half of the contents of the can is the propellant, so it ends up costing more than double what you would pay for the same oil in a bottle. I would prefer to be able to just fill a measure with the right amount directly from a bottle. Any suggestions on brands to try that are NOT in a spray container?

I used the silicone 100%, spray containers may have other additives. Try mill silicon oil. viscosity must be between 50-350 for best results.
Silicon is added normally to make cells, if its too viscous it will not work, if its too dispersed (as atomized with the spray) wont work either.

Quote:
Quote:
Sheet Surfaces
I want to do some pourings 0n sheet materials rather than on panels or stretched canvas. What materials will give you a good bond with the acrylics, but are flexible enough to roll up for shipping? I would like to ship some work overseas. A rolled 36x48 painting costs a tiny fraction of what you have to pay for a 36x48 panel or wrapped canvas. I would prefer not to work on canvas.

The two surfaces that popped into my head were Yupo and Terraskin, the latter being the one I would prefer to work with which does come in 40" rolls. I am assuming that the acrylics will adhere better to the Terraskin?

Yupo is great, also you can with some persistence take the skin of dried paint off and reuse it as collages ... this is the best surface I've tried until now...
I've used canvas, canvas on cardboard, acrylic paper and Yupo. Canvas you need to support it else you get it all accumulate, canvas board warps and bends after dried, as if it shrinks. Paper is delicate... but works.

Quote:
Quote:
Gold Leaf
For those of you who have added gold leaf to the finished pours, please post your hints and tips. I am assuming a clear coat would be beneficial to keep it from flaking off.

Yes you need to cover it with Acrylic medium, pouring medium,resin, or lack.
The frame on this one is with gold leaf, the rest are separate pours... is no collage, except the table.

Quote:
Quote:
Painting On Top of a Dried Pour
Is there anything special that needs to be done if you want to paint with acrylics or oils on top of the dried pour? The only thing I could think of that might cause problems with adhesion would be silicone oil residue. Virtually NOTHING will stick to that stuff. If it must be removed, what is the best thing to remove it with? Alcohol is out, since that will dissolve the acrylics.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions / comments.

After the pour is dried clean well with a clean dry cloth, silicone will be shinny ...you can paint with acrylics over, like I did the face of the woman in my painting. Acrylic inks don't work well...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Hello, Here's an excellent article from the Golden site. The main article is really helpful regarding the pours, and the Q&A is excellent too - answers full of helpful info as well:

Understanding the Techniques of Pouring Acrylics

Cheers!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:44 AM

I'm new to pouring but I have tested a few different products.

I am using Dura-lar paper (instead of Yupo) with great results. It is durable, stays flexible, and is cheaper than Yupo.

I am using the Treadmill silicone with good results. Washing it off afterwards is still something that I am experimenting with.

91% alcohol seems to be the preferred type since it is less diluted. I've only used it once in a pour and some of the texture came out grainy. It did give me some lacing and interesting effects so I'll try it a couple more times before I decide whether I like it or not.

The Golden article posted by KolinskyRed is excellent. I also follow a lot of Youtubers and I'm in at least half a dozen Facebook groups.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

One pour had quite a bit of silicone on the surface when dry and would not accept new paint. I ended up cleaning it with warm water with a little Dawn dish soap in it, then removing the soap residue with clear water on a rag. That seemed to work and did not soften up the acrylics. I read that glass cleaner with ammonia in it is not supposed to be too good for the acrylics, otherwise I would have used that.

We use the pourings to relax and have fun after having painted in a more controlled and representational way most of the day. Having an enjoyable time so far, lots to learn. We are also going to try watercolor pourings on regular watercolor paper, using masking fluid as the pours progress to create the desired shapes and hues.